Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged - Page 2

Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since the bullet is traveling down a longer barrel does anyone know if the velocities are increased by a significant amount? I congratulate Hi-point for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

Since the bullet is traveling down a longer barrel does anyone know if the velocities are increased by a significant amount?

I congratulate Hi-point for producing an inexpensive gun right here in the USA.

There is an on going mantra that European made stuff is always better. Of course you should expect to pay more since it's better. Is a Ferrari really better quality than a Corvette? The American made Corvette will perform at the same level for a much reduced price. The Ferrari is not only far more expensive but it's also a very sensitive, delicate car that has a high incidence of repair that requires frequent repairs at extremely high cost. The Vette is more rugged with lower operating costs and comparable performance. So based on reliability and performance the Corvette would appear to be the better buy. It just doesn't have the same wow factor.

Taken this one step further... the Mercedes and Audi both have higher incidence of repair than does Cadillac. So my question would be what really defines quality? How prestigious the vehicle is or how reliable and affordable it is?

People who believe that higher priced products from Europe are always better are mere victims of social image advertising.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I have had 3, I presently have 2 a 995 and a 4095, they are both fun, reliable and economical firearms. The lifetime, no questions asked, no matter how many owners it has had warranty cannot be beaten, and is not offered by any other gun maker. For a home protection, plinker they cannot be beaten and although they arent competition accurate they are accurate enough for anything I do, save shooting 400yrds. I in fact gave my In-Laws one for there home defense and they love to take it to the range.
    Do not let the "Gun Snobs" get to you, and they are out there.
    Trooperc7 and CommonMan101 like this.

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Since the bullet is traveling down a longer barrel does anyone know if the velocities are increased by a significant amount?

I congratulate Hi-point for producing an inexpensive gun right here in the USA.

There is an on going mantra that European made stuff is always better. Of course you should expect to pay more since it's better. Is a Ferrari really better quality than a Corvette? The American made Corvette will perform at the same level for a much reduced price. The Ferrari is not only far more expensive but it's also a very sensitive, delicate car that has a high incidence of repair that requires frequent repairs at extremely high cost. The Vette is more rugged with lower operating costs and comparable performance. So based on reliability and performance the Corvette would appear to be the better buy. It just doesn't have the same wow factor.

Taken this one step further... the Mercedes and Audi both have higher incidence of repair than does Cadillac. So my question would be what really defines quality? How prestigious the vehicle is or how reliable and affordable it is?

People who believe that higher priced products from Europe are always better are mere victims of social image advertising.
    yes the bullet velocities are increased by 200 to 300 fps...

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

No issues with my 9mm. Shoots nice and tight groupings at 50 yds. Only complaint would be the 10 rnd. limitation. Would love a 20-30 round capacity in a double stack configuration.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
    Lost--'ve considered the Keltec Sub2k and i like it but the cost is a somewhat of a factor. right now my Cabelas has the 995 in .45 acp for around $250 i think but that may be the used price...going by there today to look at them again.....i'll have to hold the Keltec to see how it feels as i have only held the 995. I dont know anything about the other one you mentioned. can you shed some light on it?
    The Keltec is $300 bucks at my LGS, so that's only a wee bit more than a Hi-Point. The JR Carbine is an AR style 9mm/.40/.45 carbine, that runs around $550. Both are good concepts and designs, but as many others have mentioned, you can't go to wrong with the Hi-Point if you just want a fun plinker.

Someone asked if the FPS is increased with the longer barrel, and yes, your modern rimless handgun rounds will be increased with a longer barrel by roughly 200 fps. Check out ballisticsbytheinch.com for more specifics.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I just ran some numbers. In my shop we have sold 800+ of these " cheap guns" and we have sent 1 that's ONE back for repair. Now I am NOT trying to start a brand war here but that is FAR FAR FAR better then the record we have on say Taurus. While I may not my self like the Hi-Point Carbines I do respect them.
    Sig35seven and CommonMan101 like this.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

The Hi Point carbines also seem to be going up in price recently. Buds has not been able to keep them regularly in stock and prices for them on Gunbroker have been going up substantially.

Buds just recently raised the price on the bare bones 9mm model to $276.
    .l
    And today I noticed that they dropped the price to $256. Get one at a good price while you can
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'll give my props here for the KT Sub2000. I bought mine for $250. How much cheaper do you need it? Pros: concealable, easy to deploy, uses the same Glock mags as my 9mm pistol. Cons: not the easiest rifle to get a good cheek weld/sight picture, an uneasy number of FTL's with nose diving.
    It certainly gives a 9mm round 75 yd accuracy. I pack it in the briefcase with the Glock 26, 150 rounds in mags, and another 350 rounds underneath in boxes.

Rigrat likes this.

These guns are a blast to shoot. They are inexpensive and put lead downrange. In my opinion if you are looking for a varmint gun or maybe a ride around and shoot hogs gun, you cannot go wrong with this. They even make it in a .45 now. The only downside for me is that you can only find 10 round mags (last time I looked)
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

I enjoy my Hi-Point carbine too. I have the 9mm model. Promag makes a 15 round mag for the 9mm. I reluctantly bought one. It has been flawless. I would still like to see a 20 or 30 round mag.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    I enjoy my Hi-Point carbine too. I have the 9mm model. Promag makes a 15 round mag for the 9mm. I reluctantly bought one. It has been flawless. I would still like to see a 20 or 30 round mag.
    To bad all Promag magazine are worthless junk and a waste of money.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I had one for over 15 years in 9MM. Shot it a couple times, hated the trigger. Made the huge mistake of trying to take it apart to clean it/fix the trigger. Big mistake. It sat in my gun room for over 10 years due to a spring going into orbit. Finally sent it back to Hi Point, they not only fixed it without any qualm whatsoever, they sent it back with another magazine. I sold it as-is in the shipping box they sent it back to me in and never looked back.

Great customer service and a great idea - horrible execution. I wouldn't buy one if you gave it to me.
    Last edited by FTG-05; February 7th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.

I can't help but think for those who do not understand the or acknowledge the benefits of a pistol carbine, in particular one that shares ammo and magazines with the carried pistol, there is a little bit of " logistical ineptness" going on.

The carbine has many advantages, over the full scale rifle caliber, specifically in it's portability, effective distance, and cost effectiveness.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I had the 9mm. Bought it new more than ten years ago because it was just 150 dollars.

As far as reliability, it was outstanding. Would shoot the 5 dollar cci blazer aluminum ammo all day long. It didnt care what you put in it. Always went bang and never bothered to clean it.

Where it really let me down was craftsmanship, accuracy, and precision. The "compensator" it came with would not stay on the barrel no matter how much you tightened the screw. The front post would not seat in the correct position or even stay in any one position. The rear sight spent most of its time as far left as it could go and it still wasn't enough.

It sat in my closet for years and I finally gave it to a friend that asked for it because I couldnt accept money for it.

If you just want to fire off ammo with no intention of hitting what you're aiming for, this is the perfect gun for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    To bad all Promag magazine are worthless junk and a waste of money.
    Not true. I have limited experience with Promag magazines but the ones I have for my Hi Point carbine have worked fine and my dad's for his Sig 226 have also worked fine.

Another thing to add about the Hi Point is that you can feed it junk ammo. I shoot steel cased Russian ammo through mine because of cost, and it's a Hi Point that if something breaks you can just send it back in no questions asked.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links