Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged - Page 3

Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rammerjammer Not true. I have limited experience with Promag magazines but the ones I have for my Hi Point carbine have worked ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Not true. I have limited experience with Promag magazines but the ones I have for my Hi Point carbine have worked fine and my dad's for his Sig 226 have also worked fine.
    I am happy they seemed to have worked out for you. But along with National Magazine and USA Magazine they are generally considered the lowest of the low as far as quality of magazine manufacturers go. And for good reason in my personal experience.
    Last edited by pirate; February 8th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can't help but think for those who do not understand the or acknowledge the benefits of a pistol carbine, in particular one that shares ammo and magazines with the carried pistol, there is a little bit of " logistical ineptness" going on.

The carbine has many advantages, over the full scale rifle caliber, specifically in it's portability, effective distance, and cost effectiveness.
    I agree and its generally those who never owned or used a pistol caliber carbines who make those statements........usually because they are commenting on an issue they don't have first hand knowledge of and are basically ignorant of. It happens a lot on this forum and others. The skewed logic of....if I don't own one or see the reasoning behind this class of weapon then why would anybody else need or want one. Personally, I own many intermediate and high caliber battle rifles AK's, AR's, SKS's, Garands, FAL's and others and I certainly think the PCC has a place in my arsenal.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Question Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts

Anyone here own a Hi-Point Carbine? I just read an article about them and I'm curious.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You might want to try a search of the forum. There have been quite a few threads about the hi-point carbine.

I had one in 9mm... Shoots great and no failures of any type. It has a lifetime warranty. I got rid of it, but only to fund another project.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Here's my thoughts on my Hi Point 9mm Carbine

Kudos to Hi Point

In short, it is not a gun I plan or recommend to use for a SHTF scenario. But it is very accurate, simple construction that is great for plinking and training new shooters with. If my nephew drops my Hi Point its not the same as dropping some of my family's more expensive or heirloom rifles.

I would highly recommed getting one. They do seem to be getting more expensive lately. I paid $225 for mine and now they seem to be going for higher prices on Gunbroker, Buds Gun Shop etc.

I have kept mine stock except for adding a fore grip and magazine carriers that attach to the stock. I want to keep mine simple with just iron sights, no red dots or fancy scopes for a simple trainer. Plus, if you add some nice optical equipment it will probably cost more than the rifle did which to me seems silly. On Hi Point forums you'll see some people who have tricked out their carbine so much that all the add ons have to cost more than the rifle did!
    mano3 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Anyone here own a Hi-Point Carbine? I just read an article about them and I'm curious.
    I got a .40 for my wife to shoot coyotes with. It is a really fun little gun. No problems at all with it.

Like Rammerjammer said, it wouldn't be a first choice for fending off a hoard of zombies, but it's a great cheap plinker. Not really a bad HD gun either. It's just funny-lookin'.

Regards,
    Jim

Don't have one but got the opportunity to wring out a 9mm version a co-worker bought 15 years or so ago when they first hit the market. Cheap...cheap...cheap! Was cheap and looked cheap. Still, it gave good function with all the different 9mm ammo we could scrounge to try in it and it even gave usefully decent accuracy off the bench rest at 100 yards with it's crude sights. In field application it's like a .22 automatic rifle on steroids and pretty handy.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I have a Hi-Point 4595 PROTS. Used to laugh at the handguns,kinda clunky and ugly BUT No more. I read a bunch of reviews on the Carbine and bought the .45ACP. 3,000rnds later it runs like a champ,is Deadly accurate w/iron sights and never had one hiccup!. Here`s mine and the Inaugeral target first time out at 80ft. Great SHTF Weapon!!.
    mano3 likes this.

I agree there fun little carbines. The mags can be a bit problematic (on some) getting the feed lips tweaked for reliability. Mine ran well right out of the box. Added the Bushman upgrades (full top rail, bottom rail, charging handle, trigger) plus the stock, muzzle brake, bipod and magpul flip sights. OH and the Duracoat! It was a fun little project :)

Rigrat likes this.

I have stated on here before that I have one, the kids shoot it, and we like it. It is not my S*H*I*T* grab and go gun, but when we take it to the range, the young shooters pick it up first for a steel banging good time. It has a "very cheap" red dot on it also. I also have the Kel Tec carbine in 9 mm and most of the time, they prefer the Hi Point. The only thing I like better about the Kel Tec is magazines are Glocks. Also the Kel Tecs are not very available around here and usually bring list price or close.

And it is not just the kids. Three or four times a year, I invite a lot of my friends who do not have access to a range to come out to a large private range where we shoot and we have a gunpowder therapy day. I put 15 or so guns out so they can try them. After shooting the pistol caliber carbines I have right now (Hi Point 995, Kel Tec 9, and Marlin Camp .45) they play with the Hi Point. I acquired this in a multi gun trade and after the dust cleared I don't have enough invested to worry with. Guns are still tools, but this is enough fun to shoot that it has a place in my gun safe.
    TheShadow likes this.

I have had one of the 995 carbines for many years, I bought it used from a pawn shop cheap, as it was missing the sights and some minor parts. The company sent me all the missing parts for free and I have shot thousands of rounds through it over the years with never a problem. Steel case, aluminum case, hollow points, +P it just runs with anything. I have a red dot sight on it and it is easy to hit with at any range.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I am happy they seemed to have worked out for you. But along with National Magazine and USA Magazine they are generally considered the lowest of the low as far as quality of magazine manufacturers go. And for good reason in my personal experience.
    Touche. Just because mine work doesn't mean that they are all good. I wouldn't use a ProMag in a gun intended for carry/self defense.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links