Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any dealings with the Hi-Point Carbine good or bad? I'm looking into getting one in either 9mm or .45 as the price is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hi-Point Carbine - your thoughts: Merged

Anyone have any dealings with the Hi-Point Carbine good or bad? I'm looking into getting one in either 9mm or .45 as the price is really good but i dont know much about them.

I'd say as long as your not worried about Quality,Reliability,Dependibility....go for it.

I had one. It was ok for plinking, but I found that shooting pistol rounds out of a rifle are about as satisfying as vegitarian bacon. Why bother?

If I need a pistol round, I have a pistol. If I need a long gun, I want the umph given by a real long gun round.

I ended up giving mine to my second son, a Marine, who thought it was, "quaint" but never turns down a free gun from dad.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I had the 9mm. I found it a fun gun to shoot. Not easy on the eyes, but for the price, worth the investment.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
    Anyone have any dealings with the Hi-Point Carbine good or bad? I'm looking into getting one in either 9mm or .45 as the price is really good but i dont know much about them.
    Use the search feature and you will find several posts on the HP 995 Carbine.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong area....wasnt thinking when i posted...

Hi-Point carbines have lots of fans. Contrary to what some may say because they are inexpensive, I have never heard of one that failed to go bang. I know mine hasn't.

Hey the Hi-Point isn't a bad firearm at all, it is merely on the cheaper end. If all you want is a plinking gun that resembles something of a tactical carbine, then you will be happy. I have shot only the 9mm but it was quite fun. Another large plus is the fact that if you are shooting steel, you can go for close targets due to shooting the pistol loads. Like 15-20 yards on AR500 steel which is alot of fun and you would have to be 100 yards minimum if you were wanting to shoot something like a .223 or .308 AR at steel. Just my two cents but you really just need to ask yourself how much of a gun you want :) It is definitely a budget price as it is for budget shooting. Hope this helps and feel free to PM if you have any other questions, and I'll do my best to answer them

That being said, depending on what you want, you can either just put the money aside and wait for more to buy an AR or AK or like me slowly piece one together.

I enjoy my 45 Carbine, Never failed, accurate, fun to plink with. I agree they are not known for there beauty and on the heavy side, but for the price you can't go wrong.

If you want a carbine just for the fun of shooting a long gun, IMO you can go wrong with the 995ts. It is inexpensive and you are not going to spend a fortune in ammunition for a day out. Sure beats spend $1 a shot. I've had one for a couple of years and it has operated perfectly; wish I could say that about some other guns I've had.

There is a group of pretty serious shooters at my GC and we each own one. We have a lot of fun with them, even making up some matches that are borderline weird. It's a great way to relax and spend some quality time with friends.

My only "want it bad" for my 995 is a good aftermarket folding stock. While ATI makes a replacement I think the factory stock is better.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I'd say as long as your not worried about Quality,Reliability,Dependibility....go for it.
    Take comments like these with a grain of salt. There are some forum members that will bash anything that is not their favorite brand. Most notably, the Glock fanboys.

I have a 995TS and love it. It is not a gun I would go to in a SHTF scenario but it is great for what I bought it for, plinking. Mine is very accurate right out of the box. I have had no issues with the carbine. It is great for fun and cheap shooting. It is a rifle that I am not afraid to put in the hands of a novice because it is inexpensive and light recoil with a pistol caliber so a newbie can more easily start themselves off with a rifle.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thanks for all of the replies. you guys have me talked into it. i think i will go with the 9mm since i already have a G19 and G26 and that keeps the ammo the same...this sounds like the perfect choice for my wife and 11 yr old son to plink with. They love my AR-15 so this will be perfect for them. i could see it being something i could put in my wifes hand to back up me and the AR in a SHTF situation. something she could be confident in using that wouldnt be too much gun. i appreciate all the replies

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    You mention that you already have Glock 9mm's...you may want to consider the keltec Sub2k, or the Just Right Carbine. Both accept Glock magazines which make them pretty handy as a truck/plinking gun.

I am not trying to dissuade you from the Hi-Point, I think for the price they are good guns.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Lost--'ve considered the Keltec Sub2k and i like it but the cost is a somewhat of a factor. right now my Cabelas has the 995 in .45 acp for around $250 i think but that may be the used price...going by there today to look at them again.....i'll have to hold the Keltec to see how it feels as i have only held the 995. I dont know anything about the other one you mentioned. can you shed some light on it?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

The reason Hi Point handguns are so bulky and ungainly is they use the simple straight blow-back action on handguns chambered in calibers 9mm and larger. Typically straight blow-back operated handguns are .380 or smaller. They use blow-back action instead of recoil operation in their handguns because it is simpler to make and much cheaper to make, but the main issue is the bolts have to be over-sized and heavy to handle the blow-back recoil forces. In the carbine the large oversize bolt and blow-back design are not a major issue. The little rifle handles the 9mm and 45acp caliber just fine. They are inexpensive and fun to shoot and plink with and that is really what they are about. I would not own a Hi Point handgun but the carbines are a good value in a fun plinker. I use mine basically as a fun toy they can also serve as a HD or truck gun if you did not have better options.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links