DPMS Oracle - Range Day

This is a discussion on DPMS Oracle - Range Day within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, got the AR out today for a range day. As mentioned in my other thread, it's my first. It was really fun to shoot, ...

Thread: DPMS Oracle - Range Day

DPMS Oracle - Range Day

Well, got the AR out today for a range day. As mentioned in my other thread, it's my first. It was really fun to shoot, and I wished they would have been around when I was growing up. But, I guess it's better late than never.

Range time was straight out of the box. I didn't break it down and lube it or anything else while I'm sure that it would have been a good idea. I ran 100 rounds through it (but if I would have had more, I would have used it) to get the red dot lined up. It was doing really good at the end. The 100 rounds were 20 Hornady TAP 223 60gr and 80 Herter's 223 62gr HP. I had some green tip with me, but it was a no go at this range. I had around 3 FTF's with the Herter's rounds and 0 with Hornady.

Can't wait until the next time I take it out. I guess in the end, it was a pretty good bang for the buck, and for my use, it's probably all that I will need for some time. I got to do my first break down, clean, and lube, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've got to find some good target ammo at some point, since I probably won't continue shooting steel case. Let me know if there are any recommendations.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice. Any day at the range is a good day.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    I ran 100 rounds through it (but if I would have had more, I would have used it) to get the red dot lined up. It was doing really good at the end. The 100 rounds were 20 Hornady TAP 223 60gr and 80 Herter's 223 62gr HP. I had some green tip with me, but it was a no go at this range. I had around 3 FTF's with the Herter's rounds and 0 with Hornady.
    I hope it didn't take 100 rounds to get the red dot zeroed!

You're sending some pricey bullets downrange. For general range work and training, I'd suggest the American Eagle stuff or Federal XM193 - both available by the case, which will safe you a few bucks. These are 55 grain FMJs which will work just fine with either a 1:7 or a 1:9 rifling twist. If you're a sharp shopper you should be able to find these for 30-32 cents a round. You should be pretty happy if you're shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards (not likely with a 4 MOA red dot) with this ammo.

For more precise target work, you can try the heavier bullets and any of the commercial varmint ammo, but there's no substitute for trying them to see what works well in your gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I hope it didn't take 100 rounds to get the red dot zeroed!

You're sending some pricey bullets downrange. For general range work and training, I'd suggest the American Eagle stuff or Federal XM193 - both available by the case, which will safe you a few bucks. These are 55 grain FMJs which will work just fine with either a 1:7 or a 1:9 rifling twist. If you're a sharp shopper you should be able to find these for 30-32 cents a round. You should be pretty happy if you're shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards (not likely with a 4 MOA red dot) with this ammo.

For more precise target work, you can try the heavier bullets and any of the commercial varmint ammo, but there's no substitute for trying them to see what works well in your gun.
    Well, not the full 100. The old eyes aren't what they used to be, and I left reading glasses at home. So, it took some experimenting to determine the up/down right/left adjustments since I had a hard time seeing them.

Thanks for the ammo ideas. I'll see what I can find there. I wanted to run 20 of the Tap through since that will be the SD ammo. Since there were no problems with those rounds, I should be OK shooting the good stuff. So, now its experimentation time to find the best low cost target ammo for playing. It was definitely a hoot to shoot.

RKM
    Get some irons on there. Just don't mount the front one on the gas block, as it won't sit at proper height. Is that a lower 1/3 co-witness mount? If so I'd recommend fixed sights. If the center of the glass is at 1.5", then it's absolute co-witness, I'd say get folding sights. My opinions of course. You'll do what you want to do :)

If you keep finding failures with a specific ammo, avoid it. If you start finding failures with other ammo, try better magazines. If good ammo and magazines don't fix it, you'll need to start real trouble shooting. For simple range use, I'd suggest to just give it a steady diet of XM193, or at the very least .223 55gr FMJ from a reputable manufacture. I've had no problems shooting over 1000 rounds of PMC. But I almost exclusively use Federal XM193. No need for anything else unless going for pinpoint accuracy. XM193 will likely ever do a good job for SD. But you did good selecting TAP for that application.

Have fun with it.

Links