Handguards

This is a discussion on Handguards within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a stock Armalite AR and I want to change out my factory handguard. It's a mid length w/ 16" barrel. I've been looking ...

Thread: Handguards

Handguards

I have a stock Armalite AR and I want to change out my factory handguard. It's a mid length w/ 16" barrel. I've been looking at the Troy battlerails lately. Is it better to install a drop in or a free floating handguard? Any response greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Well that all depends. drop ins are usually cheaper. But free float doesn't put any stress on the barrel. If you do a lot of bench shooting, free float is a good option. Also, a good portion of free float rails give you a monolithic top rail where as MOST drop in handguards will not. Though there are drop in handguards that do give you a seamless monolithic top rail. Overall, I don't think there are any real downsides to free float, other than cost and installation is usually a bit more involved. Have you looked at the Daniel Defense free float rails? I had a Troy rail on my M&P15 when it was new, and I ended up breaking it (though I take responsibility for it). I replaced it with a Daniel Defense rail.

sgb
    Magpul MOE

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

RKM
    I do agree if you want a non-railed handguard, Magpul is the way to go.

I put Centurian free float quad rails on both my rifles. You need to cut the Delta ring and spring off and they bolt to the barrel nut with 4 screws. These things aren't cheap but function great. I've heard all the bolt on comments but a bit of loctite blue and they don't move. You can mount a forward vertical grip and it won't torque. A few thousand rounds later mine are rock solid.
    Cent01.jpg

Thank y'all for the responses.

Perhaps the Daniel Defense Omega Rail? From what I understand, it clamps on to the delta ring and is a drop in rail. I'm either going that route or with the M4 Rail with the AR I'm building.

Links