Please take note, potential problems with Tapco G2 AK triggers

This is a discussion on Please take note, potential problems with Tapco G2 AK triggers within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was taken from the Tactical Reponse Forum. I am just posting this here for everyones information. The Tapco G2 Triggers are a very popular ...

VIP Member

This was taken from the Tactical Reponse Forum. I am just posting this here for everyones information.

The Tapco G2 Triggers are a very popular add on for either existing AK's or for AK builds to make them 922 compliant.

SAFETY WARNING - We have had about a half dozen AKs equipped with the "Tapco G2" trigger group have accidental discharges WHILE the safety is engaged. It is recommended you follow ALL safety rules at ALL times, as you should anyway, until you get a suitable replacement. Saying to yourself "Well I have never had a problem with MINE" isn't going to keep this from happening to you.

I have spoken to Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics who builds all my guns and he related that sometime back a group of Tapco triggers came out without the proper heat treating and the metal was to soft. This caused increased and rapid wear on the locking/bearing surface of the triggers. Most were found quickly and replaced/returned but some made it into the mainstream market.
    He has not seen one of the guns in question yet but he is of the belief that the guns with problems are of a high round count variety with many classes for each gun. It has also been reported that it is happening with both the single and double hook designs.

He further stated to check the wear on your individual guns to see if there is excessive wear on the locking surface or if it is malformed this may indicate problems.

Again this is not knocking a great product. There was apparently at one time some issues with heat treating. As stated follow the safety rules at all times and especially if you have one of these triggers installed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yeah that was awhile ago. Read about them when I began taking apart and reassembling saigas few years back. Haven't heard anything about them lately. Regardless it is always wise to practice gun (common sense) safety.

VIP Member
    That is the general thought the lot of "bad" triggers got out and are now showing up with problems. Who knows.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links