What Optics would you recommend?

This is a discussion on What Optics would you recommend? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sold a remingtion 700 in .300 win mag for a new Kimber 8400 in .338 win mag to go elk hunting in Montana at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What Optics would you recommend?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar

What Optics would you recommend?

I sold a remingtion 700 in .300 win mag for a new Kimber 8400 in .338 win mag to go elk hunting in Montana at a friends house. I have a Burris fullfield 2 3 x 9 x 40 on my winchester 70 30-06 looking for suggestions and ideas for a scope for the Kimber would like to stay under 500 but that's not a requirement and accurate to at least 300 yards with good clarity and eye relief..any suggestions lets hear them and why...kimber 8400 2 small.jpgkimber 8400 2 small.jpg and I know everyone always wants to see pics so here is a couple
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have a Leupold Mark II 6x18 with a 20moa ramp on my .308 Remington 700. It will pick up a 2" orange stick-on target at 1000 yards. With a 168 grain Black Hills HP round, I get 400" of drop at that range, which pretty much maxes my elevation adjustment out. Some of my 155 grain ammo has a bit less drop. A Federal 225grain Nosler Accubond in .338 Win Mag will yield a 304" drop at 1000 yards with a considerably-higher ballistic coefficient. The downside to your set-up is the recoil factor, which is rated at 2.93 by Forker. Conversely, your 300 Win Mag is rated at 2.39, compared to my .308's 1.95 recoil factor. Your shoulder is going to notice much more recoil than that experienced with your .300.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

what does that scope cost?
    God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    what does that scope cost?
    *Leupold*Mark*2*6-18x40mm...
    Tuco

thanks, waiting to hear what others have to say...
    God Bless

++1 on the Leopolds. VX3 in 3.5X10-can't go wrong. They also have a lifetime guarantee whether you are the original buyer or not.
    W9HDG likes this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Love Leupold scopes and feel they're the best deal for both quality and value. I have several. All are fixed 4X or 6X as a Leupold 3X9 was traded away years ago. I'd recommend either of those and shun the variables on a big game hunting rifle. It's unnecessary to spend the extra bucks. Have shot lots of deer here in Texas at distances, long and short and fewer than 10 have been taken with variable power scopes.

Now Burris scopes are very nice too and seem to be rugged and serviceable. The only variable scope I currently have mounted on a rifle is a Burris 6X18 target model with turret adjustments that's lived on a Ruger M77V .220 Swift since 1987. Great scope! Adjustments are precise and accurate, view is clear and very bright for the type of scope it is, and it's been durable enough to ride in jeeps, be tossed in the back of pickups and behind the truck seat. Exterior surface seems durable as the scope doesn't look much the worse for wear. Of course a target model scope has no place on a .338 Winchester Magnum rifle but one of the other nice Burris models could be just the ticket. Great scopes!

A nice fixed 4X with plenty of eye relief would work well on a .338 Winchester Magnum rifle.

Ruger rifle and Burris scope some 25 years ago, somewhere in Texas, sometime in the middle of the night. Actually all of these critters were taken with a .22 Long Rifle. The Swift made hash out of another 'coon not shown.

19 years ago, mere seconds away from being used by my then eleven year-old son to take his first deer.

Current photo of the Ruger w/Burris scope (bottom rifle).
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

+1 on leupold mark II. Nice Rifle!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

VIP Member
    I suggest a nice 3X9 or 2.5X10(ish) power scope from a decent maker. Hunting scopes are getting better and cheaper all of the time. Tactical scopes are for snipers.

Most shots a game are under 100 yds. Probably 97% of shots are at 300yds or less. You don't need an 18 power scope to see an elk at 300yds. Anything more than 9 or 10 power is a waste.

The more magnification you have the less light transmission there is. Magnification eats light, that's just how it works. The higher/more magnification the less you will be able to see at dusk and at dawn. And as we all know dusk/dawn is when you see the most game animals.

I like Nikon's line of scopes. They are top notch glass at blue collar prices.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I suggest a nice 3X9 or 2.5X10(ish) power scope from a decent maker. Hunting scopes are getting better and cheaper all of the time. Tactical scopes are for snipers.

Most shots a game are under 100 yds. Probably 97% of shots are at 300yds or less. You don't need an 18 power scope to see an elk at 300yds. Anything more than 9 or 10 power is a waste.

The more magnification you have the less light transmission there is. Magnification eats light, that's just how it works. The higher/more magnification the less you will be able to see at dusk and at dawn. And as we all know dusk/dawn is when you see the most game animals.

I like Nikon's line of scopes. They are top notch glass at blue collar prices.
    Tactical scopes are for long range shots, and his rifle is certainly a long-range shooter. I would be very reluctant to put an economy scope on something with the kind of recoil this one generates.
    Tuco

haven't shoot it yet but was told it's accurate to nearly 1000 yards and doesn't have much recoil...one thing for sure the ammo is pricey 50.00 for a box of 20
    God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    haven't shoot it yet but was told it's accurate to nearly 1000 yards and doesn't have much recoil...one thing for sure the ammo is pricey 50.00 for a box of 20
    I have little doubt about the 1000 yard assertion, but anxiously await your findings regarding not much recoil.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Take my word for it--the .338 will let you know its there (I've had a Browning Synthetic A-bolt in .338 WinMag since 1990--I've taken most of my Caribou with it. A solid recommendation for Leupold scopes. One of my daughters has my 45 yr old Leupold 3x9 on her .270. I've got a Leupold VXIII in 2x8--I love it.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Take my word for it--the .338 will let you know its there (I've had a Browning Synthetic A-bolt in .338 WinMag since 1990--I've taken most of my Caribou with it. A solid recommendation for Leupold scopes. One of my daughters has my 45 yr old Leupold 3x9 on her .270. I've got a Leupold VXIII in 2x8--I love it.
    Of all the game I have ever eaten, caribou is the hands-down best.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Tactical scopes are for long range shots, and his rifle is certainly a long-range shooter. I would be very reluctant to put an economy scope on something with the kind of recoil this one generates.
    Did you even read the guys post? He's using the rifle to elk hunt. Do you think he's going to be filling out range cards and sniping out past 800 meters?

Seriously, I don't get too fired up on here anymore but your posts are bordering on ridiculous. It's a hunting rifle in a hunting caliber and he needs a hunting scope.

The guy isn't going to sit at the bench with a .338 Win Mag and learn to dope the rifle out to 1000 yds. If he did he'd need a good chiropractor from all of the beating he'd take. He'd also need to take out a second mortgage to pay for all of the ammo at around $65 a box for the good stuff.

This aint for use in the Sandbox, it's for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    One of my daughters has my 45 yr old Leupold 3x9 on her .270. I've got a Leupold VXIII in 2x8--I love it.
    OP take note of the highlighted text. Chaplain Scott has a 3X9 on his daughters flat shooting 270 and a 2X8 on his own rifle.

I have a Leupold Vari-X 1 3X9 (preceded the VX line of scopes) on my #1 deer hunting rifle and I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9 on my 300 WSM. The Nikon was less expensive and IMO is a nicer scope. It is newer though so it benefits from some advances in lens coatings that weren't around when I bought my Leupold.

In all my years of hunting I have never needed magnification higher than 9 power but there were many, many times when I've needed or wanted less magnification than 3 power.

If you go with a Leupold or a Nikon in the 2 to 10 power range you will be very happy.
    You just don't need a monster scope to shoot at large game.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links