CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR - Page 2

CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR

This is a discussion on CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I used to run a Spikes .22 conversion in my AR's similar to the CMMG. I did not like the lack of accuracy you had, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR

I used to run a Spikes .22 conversion in my AR's similar to the CMMG. I did not like the lack of accuracy you had, shooting a .22lr out of a 5.56 barrel. (my groups would end up looking like birdshot, haha) I ended up selling the conversion and going with a 15-22 and also a dedicated .22 upper (sbr) and couldn't be happier. Now I've got little tack drivers that eat .22 bulk packs like crazy. =)

I would highly suggest looking into a dedicated upper over a conversion.

My planned trip to the range got sidetracked badly this past weekend, so I can't give an update yet (hopefully this coming weekend won't be as bad).
    I know that a dedicated upper or complete rifle is the preferred choice, but this unit was on sale and I've been known to waste $100 on worst things.
    joleary223 likes this.

VIP Member
    Other than .22 ammo being dirty enjoy it. As stated don't get frustrated with failures or accuracy until you try different ammo types.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Hi All,

I just ordered this kit for my AR (Colt 6920) and was wondering what folks experience has been with this. I'm a little concerned about maintenance, is it really as simple as firing a few 5.56 rounds after use to keep the gas system clear. I did try to search, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
    The packing rat says two thumbs up

Nice video, thanks.

Finally made it to the range - ran 75 rounds of Federal bulk 22lr without any problems with feeding, firing, ejection. The only "issue" was that it doesn't have the bolt hold open option, so it did get hung up on the magazine follower after the last round. Per the instructions, I did file down 2 areas on the magazine so it would seat properly and fall out freely when the mag release was pressed.

I switched out the conversion unit for the regular BCG, ran 40 rounds of .223 without any issues, not that I was really expecting any. Overall, I think this is going to work OK for me to get more inexpensive practice in. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links