CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR

This is a discussion on CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I just ordered this kit for my AR (Colt 6920) and was wondering what folks experience has been with this. I'm a little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR

CMMG 22LR Conversion for AR

Hi All,

I just ordered this kit for my AR (Colt 6920) and was wondering what folks experience has been with this. I'm a little concerned about maintenance, is it really as simple as firing a few 5.56 rounds after use to keep the gas system clear. I did try to search, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I've been using one in my AR for years and had a buddy had a Full auto kit for his M16,never had an issue with any gas tube problems since it works on a blowback principle and not from gases running thru the gas tube
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I bought one recently to use in my Stag Arms M4 and it works like a champ. I've taken it to the indoor range 2 times since and only had 1 out of a couple hundred rounds fail to feed, (not bad with a .22LR).

This was well worth the purchase since the range where I shoot only allows .223 frangible rounds, (bought from them @ $1/round) to be shot on limited nights. I considered buying this kit or a dedicated .22LR AR and am glad I bought the kit.
    Proud NRA member

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the responses.
    Probably a poor choice of words about the gas system - if I recall, the comments I had read were about the gas block becoming fouled from the 22LR ammo. The kit should be here tomorrow and hopefully I can take it to the range this weekend. I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it.

Thanks again.

I have loved mine, with zero problems. it does get a little dirty, but I clean my guns after every outing so I don't let powder build up.

VIP Member
    Had one and sold it. I did not think it worked that great just ok. (just my two cents worth) The 22lr type ars are cheap enough why not just get one of those? Now my 22lr conversion for my Kimber 1911 works real nice.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    First time out with mine, we had a problem feeding. Found that slamming the mag in was causing the problem. Seated with less force ran flawlessly.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

+1 to MrBuckwheat comment. A little more money spent and you have two fully functional rifles at your disposal! I know people scoff at the 22lr for self/home defense, but I challenge any of the doubters to stand still while I plink them with my S&W AR 15-22! Granted, you won't be able to reach out and touch at a great distance, but we are talking self/home defense, 10 to 15 yds max.

I can see a dedicated upper or complete rifle in the future, but for now wanted an inexpensive option to get more practice in. I'm not setting my expectations too high, can't wait to take it to the range this weekend.

Thanks to all for responding.

I've put close to 400 rounds of the Remington Golden bulk .22lrs through mine in my M&P 15 Sport with only a few malfunctions considering the ammo. I'm pleased with it as a short range plinker, money saver, but I have to say the full size 5.56 NATO round is more....fulfilling :).
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I think ammo makes a difference. I use 36 grain Remington bulk, and have run several hundred rounds through my Spikes Tactical, with no failures. Somewhere I read that 36 grain was the preferred round. I got whatever was cheapest Remington in bulk. I much prefer this approach than a complete second rifle, especially when you consider cost and portability - one bag takes two different calibers.

it is self contained and does'nt use the gas system,like dukalmighty says it's blowback operated,I have about 5k rounds through mine no probs with it,only ammo probs,I did buy 2 extra mags with mine,about $17 each @Botach,love it poa&poi are the same out to about 30 meters,saves me a lot of 5.56 ammo.

I went with an M&P 15-22 because I'm greedy and wanted another rifle
    but I can totally see reasons for a conversion. I know a few guys with .22 conversions and they are very happy with them.
    IF you have problems, and I'm not saying you will, don't get too frustrated until you try different types of ammo.

Enjoy.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

a 223 at 50,000psi will clear that tube right up :)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The gas tube fouling is nothing more than another "let me repeat back something I heard somewhere" internet myth. The .22 AR conversions are blow-back operated not direct gas impingement and very little if any residual fouling from the .22 ammo would even get into the gas tube. They are not as accurate as a dedicated AR .22 upper (I have both a CMMG .22 conversion unit and CMMG .22 upper) but for fun, cheap plinking its perfectly fine.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links