BCM build

This is a discussion on BCM build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I'm looking to assemble my first AR style rifle with parts from BCM and I'm looking to for advice of some the AR ...

Thread: BCM build

BCM build

Hi everyone, I'm looking to assemble my first AR style rifle with parts from BCM and I'm looking to for advice of some the AR gurus here (please pardon my ignorance, this would be my first time working with AR style rifles).

The purpose I want this weapon to serve is to be a RELIABLE self defense weapon/ SHTF rifle that is fun to practice with. I also want it to be as durable and last as long as any AR is capable of. I'm NOT looking to build a long range target rifle or a hunting gun.

With that in mind I'd like to assemble it with the following parts:

BCM Blem Lower receiver group w/o stock.
    BCM Lower Receiver Groups M4 AR15

BCM Bolt carrier group- Auto
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto mp.htm

BCM GUNFIGHTER Charging Handle
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-G... 4 556.htm

BCM BFH 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...mid-14-bfh.htm

Aside from the furniture (stock, grips and rear sight) am I missing anything needed to get a complete rifle?

Is the 14.5" upper w/ mid-length gas system as reliable as a 16" w/ mid-length?

I'd really like to be able to install a red dot scope on this rifle at some point, I know you can install them with risers or have the dot on the sight post, but if I wanted a railed gas block to mount a fold front sight, would it cost me an arm and a leg to have a gunsmith do it?

If you took the time to read this lengthy post, thanks and thanks in advance for any replies!

-Ace

2. Remove Ads

With a 14.5 barrel you will need to permanently affix a 1.5" or longer flash bidder to make it legal. Unless you get a SBR tax stamp.

A lot of first time builder buy a complete upper and assemble the lower.

Yes, mid length gas systems are very reliable.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I just bought a 14.5 in upper with a pinned and welded A2x break on it from BCM. I got the BCG and charging handle too.
    I'm going to slap it on an existing lower and I'm good to go. It's not too tough.

I think the parts you've chosen are pretty good. Just don't forget about the pinned muzzle device and you'll be fine.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

BCM and reliable go hand in hand..... check out G&R tactical the carry BCM uppers and lowers

BCM just halted production on all their uppers while they retest the spec after a couple that are too tight passed QC. So, they may be hard to come across for a short time. Be sure to check with other shops though like Grant at G&R Tactical or Neil at Gun Gallery in Jacksonville.

Apparently, there were 2 that I heard about that would not fit any lowers. Paul immediately posted in the thread on m4c that he halted production and is rechecking all uppers. This is not a hit against BCM, if anything it shows how committed they are to producing quality products and how quick they are to fix anything that has gone wrong. Just figured I'd point that out.

I really like my current BCM and it's been very reliable through thousands of rounds. They're usually my first choice, though I'm happy with Colt and LMT as well, and my next will likely be a Centurion Arms.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Great news. I just bought one a week ago. I guess I better try it out sooner, rather than later.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofspades View Post
    I'd really like to be able to install a red dot scope on this rifle at some point, I know you can install them with risers or have the dot on the sight post, but if I wanted a railed gas block to mount a fold front sight, would it cost me an arm and a leg to have a gunsmith do it?
    That depends. Are you paying the 200 bones for the stamp or are the good people at BCM going to pin & weld a comp on it for you? If it is pinned & welded then yes it will be a PITA to change to a different gas block if you later decide to do so.

Personally, I like to work on my guns and try different setups and so I stick to 16" so I can pretty much do what I want myself. If I order under 16", I let them set it up. If you are going to get a 14.5" and not getting the stamp, that is great and a nice config just make certain of how you want it (handguards/rails/blocks/compensator) and order it built that way.

Two thumbs up on the BCM gear.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I know they sell GBs with flip down front sights from YHM. Might be easier for you to call them and see how much it would cost to have the YHM installed vs the standard front sight. I'm not sure they do that, but the YHM retails for only $50 more, and it would save you some hassle down the road.

I really like my current BCM and it's been very reliable through thousands of rounds. They're usually my first choice, though I'm happy with Colt and LMT as well, and my next will likely be a Centurion Arms.

Links