The double barrel..still viable?

This is a discussion on The double barrel..still viable? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; my double barrel is the best bird gun I have ever owned IMG_0538.jpg...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The double barrel..still viable?

my double barrel is the best bird gun I have ever owned

IMG_0538.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The shotgun still needs to be properly aimed. It's not a "room clearer" by virtue of its spread unless you live in an awfully large house with very long rooms.
    Very true,which is why I like the coach gun. The choke point in my home is a hallway and for that the gun is ideal.
    As for both hammers at once, you do have to practice. I'm sure in high stress situations it's going to be a quick "one-two punch" rather than a single large blast.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Yes

To futher your education on the use of the double, go watch a couple of Cowboy Action matches and watch those cowboys handle their doubles. You will be surprised.

After shootng CAS for over 20 years I am comfortable with the double
    SASS # 316 LM[/QUOTE]

Amazingly enough, I shoot SASS with both a double-barreled coach gun and with a Model 1897, depending on the day. There is no comparison. Load up the pump with a full magazine (instead of the two-at-at-time limitation for SASS). No, the double-barreled shotgun is not a viable self-defense option when inexpensive used pump shotguns are readily available. Watch Hicok45's videos on YouTube for demos of pump shotguns versus semi-automatic shotguns against multiple targets.

I love my double-barreled shotgun as much as the next guy who puts on a cowboy hat and spurs and swaggers off to a SASS match. That doesn't make a double-barreled shotgun a good or viable self-defense shotgun today.
    Last edited by marcclarke; March 27th, 2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Try to fix original quote.

I keep my Rossi Coach Gun with with the 12 gauge, hammer driven (18 1/4 barrels with a sleeve of buckshot and slugs) up on a wall mount next to my AR.

They both have their place and purposes.

The AR is great for clearing the house of all threats such as humans, orcs and goblins, since it is light and has plenty of ammo capacity.

The double barrel, as said above, is a great "bar the door" weapon against anything else, up to and including being used as Troll Bane. (Ok, my Tolkien fetish is showing....move along people, nothing else to see here)
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Double's have advantages. They tend to be lighter weight, and shorter than your basic HD pump or semi, unless you have a SBS. They also have a simpler manual of arms, and require less fine motor skills for the first two shots.

That being said, and I did use to keep one by my bed, I think that in a home defense role, it should be backed up by a good HD handgun. So that after initially engaging with two shots, transition to a pistol is probably a better option than reloading if time is of the essence.

The downsides are the limited magazine capacity, and the inability to top off effectively. With any of my pumps or semis, I can top off the tube while keeping the weapon on target and in a firing position, this is not true of a double.

If it is the only shotgun you have, it is a perfectly viable option. I'd rather have a shorter 2 shot coachgun than a long barreled pump or semi for HD, since length of your weapon is very important in CQB. But, since I have other options that I like better, the coachgun now is relegated to hunting and clays.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Coach gun? Oh yeah... Mine's a 12 ga in nickel.

Here's a pic of what I have... Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge with 3” Chamber

As soon as I bought it, I sent it out for $200 worth of work...made a big difference.

You wouldn't want to be standing in front of one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Coach gun? Oh yeah... Mine's a 12 ga in nickel.

Here's a pic of what I have... Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge with 3” Chamber

As soon as I bought it, I sent it out for $200 worth of work...made a big difference.

You wouldn't want to be standing in front of one.
    That looks more suited for a formal wedding.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yes!

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

All great answers. I still find a 12 ga. coach gun rock solid comforting when something goes bump in the middle of the night. Of course, it's backed up with a G21 which is backed up by a G36. I like a double trigger hammerless so I can choose which barrel to use depending on how it's loaded. I usually use Centurion's buck & ball loads with a .650" ball surrounded by 6 #1 buckshot. Thats gotta hurt at typical house ranges.
    True, it's only two shot with a slow reload ( for me, I'm not a cowboy shooter ), but after those two, it's dropped and the .45 comes out. I figure it will have bought me the time required to do that. It's also something the wife can use with minimal training and be well protected against even someone " jacked up " on something.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    The double barrel..still viable?
    Imo, yes they are. But, I'm old school and happen to think along the same lines as Clint Smith, you need to know how to run the gun you got. Defensive Shotgun
    10thmtn likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have yet to hear of anyone needing more than 2 blasts from a shotgun to clear uninvited guests from inside their home.
    ^^^ +1
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Indeed. Back when I was thinking about adding an extension to my shotgun's mag tube, I started this thread:

Home defense shotgun ammo capacity

Suffice to say, I'm keeping my shotgun as it is.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

As they say "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst"...

Glad to hear you've got backup plans boatail.

My comment just stemmed from the incident near my home lately.

3 BG's and 2 shots was what I had in mind.

I just don't want to be in that situation and count on the 3rd or 4th guy being scared off.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

No need for a Glock 19. A 2-barrelled, 2-shot derringer will work just fine.

Or...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links