Less is more Accessories on your Fighting Rifle

This is a discussion on Less is more Accessories on your Fighting Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the first time I've heard someone advocate NOT using a two point sling unless actually slinging your rifle. I can see how you'd ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Less is more Accessories on your Fighting Rifle

This is the first time I've heard someone advocate NOT using a two point sling unless actually slinging your rifle. I can see how you'd transition in the middle of a fight to your handgun without just dropping the rifle. Dropping it is fine in some situations, but not others.

Every trainer I know or have really even heard mention this suggests using a quality two point at all times, or occasionally a single point if that very specific need arises. I've never heard them advocate using it only to sling the rifle.

On a side note, I can transition shoulders almost as easy with my VCAS slings as I could with my Gear Sector and MS2 single point slings...almost. I run it relatively loose unless I need it slung and tight. If I attach the rear portion to the end plate instead of the stock, it's even easier and very similar to a single point, though I don't care for the way it hangs.

Edit - not saying there's a right or wrong way, just saying that I don't know anyone that recommends that way.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; March 29th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I to agree less is more.

I am still playing with mine to get it set up the way I want. I was in the middle of that when I got called back to the sandbox. When I left this is one of the versions that I was trying on my RD.

I got several items from Jon and was in the process of switching out items when I had to go. Currently have the Surefire VFG, Redi mag, Holosight with KAC BUIS front and rear. I have Aimpoint T-1's, Leupold CQ/T, stubby VFG's and other Surefire lights to try out when I get home however my AK's run simple, Aimpoint T-1 or H-1, and a light mounted from the Ultimak rail or from a small section of rail mounted to the forend.

As far as slings I have and use both single and two point slings, it all depends on what I am doing at the time as to which system I use. This is my RD 5.56 AK right after I got home with an Israeli Sling before mounting the Aimpoint and light.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Whatever rifle you choose, keep it simple! Learn how to shoot with the iron sites first, then add on.

ONE way of transitioning to pistol when your rifle wears a simple 2-point sling, especially if you do not wish to "wear" your rifle, or do not have time to kit up as such

Long gun to pistol transition - Systema method
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

JMB
    Looks too inefficient to me. why not just tuck it under your support arm?

Clint Smith demonstrated the easiest way I have seen with a standard issue sling but you have to be wearing it to do it.

Transition to pistol

about two seconds into this video, the rifle goes on the back, out comes the sidearm. Plain and simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qtky5-d2AM

tacman605
    Those are two nice builds... US Palm grip on the AK, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Whatever rifle you choose, keep it simple! Learn how to shoot with the iron sites first, then add on.
    +1 on that!!!!

Cheers
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gsolutions View Post
    about two seconds into this video, the rifle goes on the back, out comes the sidearm. Plain and simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qtky5-d2AM

tacman605
    Those are two nice builds... US Palm grip on the AK, right?

Cheers
    Well, now that makes a lot more sense. Thanks. One of these days I'm going to spend some time with only the AK. Rob_s from m4carbine spent a year with only the AK if I remember correctly. I like that idea.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

That's a great transition method as well, but (if I'm seeing it right) it involves the use of the shooting hand. With the Systema method, you can reach for your sidearm simultaneously with the slinging of the rifle. It might be a case of 6 o'one, half-a-dozen o'the other, but it sometimes helps to experiment with different methods to see what works for you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That's a great transition method as well, but (if I'm seeing it right) it involves the use of the shooting hand. With the Systema method, you can reach for your sidearm simultaneously with the slinging of the rifle. It might be a case of 6 o'one, half-a-dozen o'the other, but it sometimes helps to experiment with different methods to see what works for you.
    Agreed. Now, I'm used to having the sling around my body then just dropping it while transitioning to my handgun. I run those drills a few times a week for the past handful of years, so I'm fairly used to it by now. I just always assumed if and when I work to improve on my Kalashnikov skills, I'd run an adjustable two-point the same way as my ARs.

In the shoot house and hand to hand, I've always appreciated having the rifle attached to my body. Then again, I've never even given thought to doing it any other way than with no sling at all.

Mine is almost bone stock, and I like it that way... in fact the only thing I changed was the grip to a Hogue. The scope I got for it ended up on my 10/22 because i like the iron sights so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Well, now that makes a lot more sense. Thanks. One of these days I'm going to spend some time with only the AK. Rob_s from m4carbine spent a year with only the AK if I remember correctly. I like that idea.
    What I appreciate most about this technique is that it works the same with any long gun that I use - AK, AR, Stock Saiga, Shotgun or Combat Levergun. It goes hand in hand with positioning every weapon (leave for the levergun) the same way for reloads. Keep everything consistent....
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

I really enjoy having an ACOG and surefire flashlight on my army issued M4

VIP Member
    Uli that is correct. I purchased all of Gabe's videos last year to watch over here. At that time was able to shoot a lot, now it is such a hassle and a security concern, Iraqis control the range, that I do not go as much.

If I ever get back into the states for any length of time will make arrangements to take a class or two.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Colt National Match M4

Old School likes this.

Cool

I did the full accessory route and have now gone back to the KISS system.

The older I get the more I seem to simplify the things around me.

P28091423.jpgImage.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links