Worst range trip Ever! - Page 2

Worst range trip Ever!

This is a discussion on Worst range trip Ever! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After making any adjustments tap the windage/elevation knobs to make sure the crosshairs didn't stick,at only 20 yards it's gonna take a lot of clicks,when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Worst range trip Ever!

After making any adjustments tap the windage/elevation knobs to make sure the crosshairs didn't stick,at only 20 yards it's gonna take a lot of clicks,when you think about 4 clicks per inch at a hundred yards,your gonna have to multiply that by abunch.
    Also at 10 feet your shots should be offset by the distance between center of scope and center of bore,if you are trying to adjust the scope to hit dead on at 10 feet your gonna be knocking aircraft down at 100 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree throw the Marlin 60 in the river. Just my two cents, but buy a quality rifle. Put non chinese optics on it... of quality. A quality mount, also non chinese. Go to Ebay, search for vintage Redfield or Leupold mount(milled steel). Aluminum eventually has the threads crap out. Definitely bore sight and save ammo. Put some quality ammo thru it of SAME lot #. CCI costs more , but worth it. Throw away all Chinese gun gear, buy American or European imho. Concentrate on quality of marksmanship not quantity. Use a sling and be consistent in your position. More rds down range does'nt mean quality time at all(Unless your shooting a Ma Deuce). Just saying.Best of luck Sir...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

We all have those days at the range. I've had so many of them, I can head 'em off at the pass before I waste too much ammo. Thing is....getting out to do it is always a positive thing. Any time you think you've had a bad day getting out just think about those who can't get out and do it. I always thank the Good Lord for the opportunity and the ability to have a "bad" day out. I'm even more thankful for the good days which happen every now and then. Perspective. Bad days can be good learning experience. Never look at a bad day in a bad way. Always something good to find in it. Bad days are never lost unless you want to throw them away. I feel lucky to have a bad day because I know there are many who's days are always bad and they have little chance at looking at things the way I do. Next time you plan on a range trip and you don't want to have a bad day....find a handicapped person who would absolutely love to go shoot something or even hold a gun. Make someone else' day if you can't make yours. Many won't get the opportunity to have a good day much less a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Any time you think you've had a bad day getting out just think about those who can't get out and do it. I always thank the Good Lord for the opportunity and the ability to have a "bad" day out. I'm even more thankful for the good days which happen every now and then. Perspective. Bad days can be good learning experience. Never look at a bad day in a bad way. Always something good to find in it. Bad days are never lost unless you want to throw them away.
    Now THAT'S an attitude worth emulating.

Well stated, RR.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for all of the feedback...

I have a Simmons scope that I paid around $50 for, which I know was made in China but had a slightly better reputation in the lower end price range from what I researched. I have a real aversion to spending as much if not more on a scope than I did a rifle, especially with a basic 22. I will be on the look out for a better scope though. I'm also going to doublecheck what the warranty is. Its been sitting in the safe for too long to return it to the retailer I bought it from, but perhaps Simmons will repair/replace it, since cranking the knobs from one end of the spectrum to the other didn't seem to make a difference. Overall, I might be out the money I paid for the scope initially, but as far as ammo costs at the range, I'm not worried about that at all. I probably spent more on 7.62x39 in the one 30rd mag than I did the entire lot of 22LR.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a bad scope, but, as others have said, check the mounts, etc. I have found that if you are on the paper and have been shooting from a stable platform, the easiest way to get zeroed in is to unload the rifle, put the crosshairs on the center of the target and ensure the rifle will not move. Then adjust the crosshairs to where you are hitting. Load up and try again. You should be very close to the X.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Sorry, I don't know what to tell you, but I thought about you when I was at the range yesterday. I had to sight in a new scope on an old rifle. I mounted the scope at home. Since it was a bolt action. I removed the bolt looked down the barrel and saw where it was going to shoot. Then adjusted the cross hairs accordingly. I used a rest and some bags ( shot off the bench ) It took me 3 rounds to get it right on ( only at 25 yards) I did not have the time to go over to the big range and check it. So maybe this weekend I will get a 300 or 600 yard zero on it. Make sure your scope and rings are tight, and you have the right ammo. I sure would like to hear from you when you figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Any RSO worth his salt should have at least offered to help you.
    The first guy was nice enough and made some recommendations like using my bag as a rest, etc, but the range seemed to quickly filled up and by the time the second RSO was in there, I think they were more focused on crowd control than anything else. There are a lot of first time shooters that hit up this range, as its the only public range around. There is a separate "members only" area which was quieter and usually has people that have been more helpful. I dropped my membership when they jacked up the membership fee and members hourly rate to the point it actually cost you double to be a member than a non member, unless you got an hour of range time every week.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links