Worst range trip Ever!

Worst range trip Ever!

This is a discussion on Worst range trip Ever! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me start this out by saying, I ended up being "that guy" at the range today. You know, the one that makes you cringe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Worst range trip Ever!

Worst range trip Ever!

Let me start this out by saying, I ended up being "that guy" at the range today. You know, the one that makes you cringe when you see him fumble around and hit anything but his own targets.

For the last 5-6 months or so, I've been traveling pretty heavily for work and haven't been able to make it into the range. Today was the only the second trip I've managed to squeeze in since my traveling started, and on the other trip I didn't bring any rifles with me. By the end of my range trip, it was all I could do to keep from tossing my Marlin 60 into the river on the way back home. I had finally brought it out to sight in. As previously posted, I'm not a rifle guy, and this was the first time I have tried sighting in a scope. First of all, I apparently took the wrong lane. I was assigned #3, but took the 3rd one from the door, which happened to be #6. I've been going to this range for a while, so I should have known better.

Once I was setup, I put my paper target out to 60 feet (the max at this range) and fired off a full volley of rounds. Could not see where I was hitting even through the scope, so I pulled the target back to inspect it. I did manage to get on paper, very low and to the right. Not too bad I guess out of the box. So I stuck on some 5" Shoot'N'C stickers on top of my target so I could see if I was hitting it, and sent it back out. Started fiddling with the scope, with what appeared to be no change in my target groupings, which all ended up very low and to the right. At that point, I grabbed a chair so I could shoot from the bench with my range bag steadying the rifle. Much more comfortable, and groupings were tighter, but still off in the same corner. By this point I had shot at least 100 rounds and was getting frustrated, so I brought out my Saiga and emptied the 30 rd magazine into the target at 60 feet, hitting a nice grouping around the bullseye with nothing but iron sights. So at least I know I'm not completely inept, right?

Back to the Marlin, I put up a new target, but only sent it out to 15 feet. Fiddled with the scope some more. Still not getting dialed in. In fact, I think I managed to completely miss. What the heck?? So I took the target back to 10 feet. I couldn't possibly miss now right? No, not only am I still missing the 5" Shoot'N'C portion of the target, but I get the tap on the shoulder by a different RSO telling me I'm hitting the wooden board on the ceiling towards the end of the range and to stop shooting until I lower my target. How the heck am I so far off? Managed to finally get to where I could hit inside the 5" target from 10 feet away, but when I moved the target back further, I was completely off paper again. After 300-400 rounds of ammo and an hour and a half later I finally left, completely fed up, and with several onlookers giving me the evil eye.

When I first setup at my (wrong) lane, there was only one other shooter and one RSO. By the time I left, all of the other lanes were packed with shooters and their buddies, and at least two RSO's. The RSO that tapped me on my shoulder looked somewhat relieved once I was heading out. It was a really frustrating trip. For once I wish one of those "know it all" shooters had come over and ply'd their wisdom on my scope.
    bandrich likes this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

It happens. Could be a broken scope, or a loose mount/ring.

Good thing .22 ammo is so cheap... because 400 rounds of .308 to sight in a scope would have been expensive... and painful too.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if it ever seems like it can't get any worse---you'll remember that day..

when the going is all wrong, it may be legitimate reason to call it an early day and move on.
    besides, one does not wish to ingrain bad techniques.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    if it ever seems like it can't get any worse---you'll remember that day..

when the going is all wrong, it may be legitimate reason to call it an early day and move on.
    besides, one does not wish to ingrain bad techniques.
    Agreed, I always heard that it is good (in golf) to leave the range on a good note, I would imagine shooting is no different. Maybe you should have bagged it after the Saiga.

You adjust the scope to move the bullet point of impact where you want it. So if you were low right, you probably wanted 20+ clicks up and 20+ clicks left depending on distance and scope. But first make sure scope is lined up and solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laser Bore Sight and a level. If you got a decent run indoors do some calculations to get you on paper at range. If you have neighbors that won't flip get a little better range outdoors. Not laying down any secret wisdom or trying to be condescending. I've been there, man. Doesn't help when the rangemaster isn't understanding. Make sure your rings are snug and properly secured. Good luck!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Agreed, I always heard that it is good (in golf) to leave the range on a good note, I would imagine shooting is no different. Maybe you should have bagged it after the Saiga.
    You know what the big difference between a bad day of shooting and a bad day of golf? On a bad day of golf I just have a couple beers to take the edge off! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

As others have mentioned, I'd check the scope and the mounts. Rimfires can get along with modestly-priced scopes, but there's a lot of cheap junk out there with unstable reticles and slipping or broken adjustment mechanisms. You can get a decent scope for $50, but not half that. Also, you're probably using tipoff mounts to engage the dovetail groove - make sure your rings are indeed tipoffs and not Weavers. The latter are similar but wider and won't engage the groove in your receiver as intended. Good luck!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sorry to hear that.

Any RSO worth his salt should have at least offered to help you.

When zeroing a scope, do not fire a volley. 3 shots is all you need. Adjust the scope. 3 more shots. Repeat until you are dialed in.

As others have mentioned, ensure the scope is mounted properly. Bore-sighting it before you go to the range will make the zeroing process faster and less frustrating.

At least no one got hurt.
    oneshot likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sounds like a broken scope if your were dialing it in with the turrets and the group wasn't moving or was scattered. As far a bore sighting it with a laser it should not have mattered if they shots were on the paper. You can just as easily dial it in at that point. I only use a laser if the shots are not on my target at all. And I don't mind the extra time and ammo to zero. Gets me in tune with the scope more.

I did have the same problem with a scope I got a year ago. Had the exact same problem you were having and I shoot 600 yards plus and accurate. It was the scope.

Also: FYI: on the screws for the base for the rings:use lock tite. They will vibrate loose and depending what set up you have you would have to remove the scope to tighten the base screws

As 10thmtn said. Also start with the target close to see where you are hitting on the paper. The knobs on the scope are for windage and elevation. Also check and make sure you are turning them in the right direction. After centered on paper move the target back in stages until you are at the distance you want. Good luck.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I had a day like that with a new scope a couple months back. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, maxed out the adjustment screws and was still way off. Packed up my junk, went home, looked at it a few days later and the elastic band holding a flip up scope cap had gotten wedged under the scope mount. Next time out, everything was good!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Haha, embarrassing but can happen to the best.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and other days you are the statue. Good luck with your scope!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I feel your pain. I had a bad day at the range last Saturday myself. I have not been deer hunting for the last 15-20 years. I have a beautiful Browning "A" Bolt 30-.06 my wife bought me 20-25 years ago. Some time ago I took the scope off it and put it on my .22 that I shoot more frequently and recently put a 3 X 9 scope back on it. I'm thinking of deer hunting next fall and thought one of these days I need to site it in, it does not have iron sights.

Well, finally got around to it last Saturday. Went to my gun club, set up my target, put a bi-pod on the rifle and used the concrete shooting bench. Set the target out 50 yards with the intention of zeroing it at 100 yards. First shot never even hit the target. Moved it closer, to about 30 yards, nope, still not on paper yet. Finally hit the paper at 20 yards and made my scope adjustments, I'm centered but shooting way low. Put the target back to 50 yards and I'm now very close to moving it to 100 yards to tweak it in.

Long story short, I shot a total of 10 rounds of 180 grain 30-.06, picked my shoulder off the ground and went home. Man, this old age ain't for sissies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links