Markings On Rifle Make Class 3?

This is a discussion on Markings On Rifle Make Class 3? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question. A internet buddy took his rifle for service. The gunsmith told him the rifle had certain markings that could make it a class 3 ...

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Question. A internet buddy took his rifle for service. The gunsmith told him the rifle had certain markings that could make it a class 3 gun even though it is semi auto. I asked for further details but did not receive a good explanation. I have yet to get an explanation of what the markings are or what type of rifle this is. Perhaps my buddy is paranoid to say,who knows. I know the question and information is vague but could there be any truth to this?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

IF the lower receiver has an owner's name and location engraved on it, it may have been registered with the BATFE for the purpose of mounting a short barrel or other NFA modifications. I believe that once a receiver is registered with the BATFE, it cannot be legally transferred without the buyer completing a Form 1 and paying the $200 tax.

I am not an expert.

Here is more info. from this man " I had an M-1 308.. but it was marked M-14 on there which is a machine gun.. but my rifle is NOT a machine gun.. it is semi auto with 5 round mag. Now here is the catch.. after M-14 there is initials (S A) which mean semi-auto.. but if those initials read either A-1 or A-2 I would have had to sold my rifle.." Any truth to this?

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

OD*
    I don't know about this particular rifle, but yes, markings can make a difference. An example, if you were to have an M1 carbine, marked M1 lets say, which had been converted to selective fire by the military during late WWII and or Korea, and the selective fire parts were replaced with semi-auto sear etc, your safe, BUT, if you have a carbine roll stamped M2, it doesn't matter if you convert it to semi auto, if the receiver is roll marked M2, it's still considered an NFA weapon by the BATFE.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Here is more info. from this man " I had an M-1 308.. but it was marked M-14 on there which is a machine gun.. but my rifle is NOT a machine gun.. it is semi auto with 5 round mag. Now here is the catch.. after M-14 there is initials (S A) which mean semi-auto.. but if those initials read either A-1 or A-2 I would have had to sold my rifle.." Any truth to this?
    Typing at the same time you were.

Your gunsmith would be correct, unless as was said, it had at one time been legally registered.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks for the answers

When you find out what type of rifle, can you post that for us.

Edit - somehow I missed it, sorry about that!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Your gunsmith would be correct, unless as was said, it had at one time been legally registered.

Links