Anybody Springing For The SureFire 60 Round Magazines?

This is a discussion on Anybody Springing For The SureFire 60 Round Magazines? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe the Lib Tard Demoncat Politicans will pass a bill to limit the amount of rounds to "59" to keep our streets safer....hahaha...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anybody Springing For The SureFire 60 Round Magazines?

Maybe the Lib Tard Demoncat Politicans will pass a bill to limit the amount of rounds to "59" to keep our streets safer....hahaha
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

2. Remove Ads

I guess if I was in a situation that I would be putting myself in situations of danger LEO,SWAT,Military,Protective Detail etc. having 60 rounds on tap may not be a bad idea,but with a Semi Auto gun I can buy several 30 round Pmags for what 1 60 rounder costs.and the 100 rounders are even pricier,I saw these being demoed about a year ago and the MSRP I couldn't justify
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually I think AimPoint illuminated reticule sights are fantastic now that the battery life is right around 5 years (constant on) but, give me a great sling....and the coffee Maker would be a nice addition.
    Things that I could personally do without would be as follows:
    Magnifier
    Night Vision
    Laser
    Fore Grip
    Bi-pod
    bayonet
    GPS Navigation
    Shaver
    DVD Player
    Grenade Launcher
    and the flashlight.

But, I do like the idea of a 60 round mag that isn't "iffy" like a drum or a mile long.

You do realize that my go-to rifle is my Marlin 336 lever gun - which holds all of 6+1 rounds of "thuty thuty," right?

For the military, this mag is probably too heavy, given all the other "stuff" they hang off their rifles. And with a SAW in every fire team, there is just no need.

For a civilian, I think it is waaay overkill for defensive use.

For fun? Hey, if you can afford to dump all that ammo so quickly that you don't even want to stop to change mags, then more power to you.

In other words, I just don't see it. But different strokes for different folks...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    How much are they? Everyone keeps saying how the cost is prohibitive. Not that I think they would be necessarry, except maybe for the zombie appocolypse, but they could be fun to have.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually I think AimPoint illuminated reticule/dot sights are fantastic now that the battery life is right around 5 years (constant on) but, give me a great sling....and the coffee Maker would be a nice addition.
    Things that I could personally do without would be as follows:
    Magnifier
    Night Vision
    Laser
    Fore Grip
    Bi-pod
    bayonet
    GPS Navigation
    Shaver
    DVD Player
    Grenade Launcher
    and the flashlight.

But, I do like the idea of a 60 round mag that isn't "iffy" like a drum or a mile long.
    So, just to clarify- you DON'T want the grenade launcher or the flashlight?

What's wrong with you, man?? EVERYBODY wants a rifle-mounted grenade launcher. It would be AWESOME.

...and you would never have to worry about 'running into' a bear in the woods...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

They just make more sense for the IAR, not standard M4's, whether full or semi auto.
    sammage likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I think it's usefulness depends on the philosophy of use. As stated in one of the videos, someone walking foot patrol or mounted patrol who may be engaged in an ambush affords one the ability to lay down suppressive fire while moving to a position of cover without having to reload on the run while exposed to gunfire.

Also in an ambush, it allows you to engage more targets in a furious firefight. I think in that philosophy you would likely only need to carry one of those magazines carried in the weapon for that initial engagement.

As far as weight goes, I believe it's essentially the same as two standard 30 round mags clipped together with a Ready Mag but I believe it helps balance the weapon better. Of course this is pure speculation as I have no experience using them.

For civilian use, (other than the cool factor), if I were a rancher or property owner on the southern border with the possibility of encountering armed foreign nationals trespassing on a remote section of my property, I would definitely have one Surefire MAG5-60 rounder in my AR for an initial engagement. And possibly a spare one. Having 120 rounds on tap utilizing only one reload would be a plus if you are alone on your property engaging several banditos in a gunfight.
    Beans and msgt/ret like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I like the idea, but my experience has been that the 30rd mag is plenty (for semi-autos). If you've got the happy switch, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Cool concept. They're just so expensive and I don't really have a need for it. I have a 40 round for my AK. I hardly use it.
    Same here...I only use them at the range...
    I myself like the 20 rounders...
    Glock 19 gen3
    Glock 20SF gen3
    Glock 21SF gen3
    Ruger LCR .357 magnum
    Ruger MKII .22Lr.
    Life Member NRA

My worry is clearing a jam for some reason, I would drop and replace a mag with 10 rounds left in it, than to have it happen with 50 rounds left. Especially when you add the price.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm wondering about the added weight. Wouldn't an AR loaded with a 60 round mag be significantly heavier than a traditional set-up? I've started carrying an extra mag in my holster set-up and I really notice the extra weight - and we're talking about 13 extra rounds of 40 S&W, not an extra 30 or more rounds of 5.56. I'm just wondering about how added weight might affect mobility, etc.

Armchair quarterbacking here .... but I wonder if it has utility as one of the 3 extra magazines? You'd want the 'main' magazine to be a 20 (FN-SCAR) so that the rifle is light and mobile. You could use the 60 if you were in a situation where you expected a heavy amount of fire and low mobility. i.e., if you were setting up to fire from a chosen position.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I would only buy these as an investment. In the event of a mag capacity limit, like the ones in the Brady Bill, were re-inacted. You could name your price.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Armchair quarterbacking here .... but I wonder if it has utility as one of the 3 extra magazines? You'd want the 'main' magazine to be a 20 (FN-SCAR) so that the rifle is light and mobile. You could use the 60 if you were in a situation where you expected a heavy amount of fire and low mobility. i.e., if you were setting up to fire from a chosen position.
    Good point; its a matter of intended application that determines its effectiveness. If you're dug in then the 60 rounder may be an asset and if you're forced to move it could possibly turn into a liability.

I'd rather carry two 30rd pmags with a coupler MAG-930 - AR-15 Dual PMAG Magazine Coupler Sun Optics One Piece Aluminum Construction Black Anodized . There is also an inexpensive Israeli steel clip for USGI mags that I've used and works well (has them positioned at a stagger).

If the Surefire gets damaged or malfunctions, then it's useless. If it malfunctions early, kiss all those unused rounds away. Better to have two 30rd mags readily accessible. An analogy would be deeper water fishermen who choose to go out in boats with smaller dual engines rather than one large one. The Surefire 60rd mag probably more suitable for Class III guys or military applications for a substitute SAW role.

For the price of $90, is the same as six 30rd Pmags (at Midway). I also wouldn't want to fire a steady 60rd string through my barrel unless I had to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links