HD shotgun advice needed

This is a discussion on HD shotgun advice needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on the Knoxx Spec-Ops stock... IIRC, they also make one for the Moss. I got the 870 because they already had it set up ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD shotgun advice needed

+1 on the Knoxx Spec-Ops stock... IIRC, they also make one for the Moss. I got the 870 because they already had it set up with the Knoxx, so I got a better price for the package but I have to admit that I sure like the tang safety on the Moss better.

2. Remove Ads

My friend just odered an FN Tactical. Should be here any day now. I'm sure ill be getting a few rounds through it, then ill report back.

I prefer the mossberg, the controls are laid out better for me.

I have to disagree with the folks saying an 18.5" is better than a 20." I dont see 1.5" of barrel making a big difference in handiness.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. I decided on the 18" 870, 7 shot. 20" was just out of the question for me. It doesn't seem that much of a difference on paper but when I handled them it is amazing to me how much of a difference it made in how the shotguns felt to me.

I do like the mossberg safety location better, but since I am right handed it doesn't really make that much difference once I get in some range time plus if I ever do get another shotgun I can stick with remington and know the controls like the back of my hand etc.... I went with 870 because I wanted something that I could change out the barrel with and go hunting and the extra round compared to the 18.5" persuader was a great bonus. I am not a big hunter but I like having the option of picking up some used parts and being able to go out with the guys if needed. I do believe that a seperate dedicated shotgun is better but I don't have the money for that since I don't spend much time doing it.

So I went down to my local sportsman warehouse and to my surprise they sold the last one about one hour before I got there. I then drove over to another sportsman warehouse and the guy said they sold the last one 2 hours ago. I went over to a gander mountain, (first time visit for me) and they had one, but wow, big price increase. They also had a winchester 18"1300 there. Seems like a great shotgun, one extra round, it comes with the optional front night sight and is slighty lighter with the aluminum receiver.

I have no idea what the intertia spead feed option is about that winchester brags about??????

Then another customer came up to me and told me how he has one, 20,000 rounds thru it, uses it in 3 gun matches etc......

Tempting, but all in all I will be sticking with the 870 and will have to wait a week or two.

I also went to another local small shop that specializes in imports of guns, AKs, SKS, handguns from other countries that aren't main stream etc.... They had a 870 there with a knox spec op. Very, very nice. Woudn't mind getting one in the future but that is a long ways off.

Rob72, thanks, I sent you a PM.

GOT IT!!!!

18" 870 with the factory +2 mag extension.

Now I am going to add a large button safety to get rid of the stock J lock safety. Put on a side saddle to hold some extra shells, add a sling and see if I can find out how to attach a small, G2, flashlight to it. I can't afford a surefire forend w/light but I want to get a light on it somehow.

Any suggestions on the above would be great. Right now I am thinking about Wilson for the safety and that is about all I got right now.

I am not even sure how to add a sling since there is no place to put it.

High Altitude, how about some pics. I am in the market for a shot gun too. I think it may end up being a Christmas present though. Who knows.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

OD*
    18" 870 with the factory +2 mag extension.
    You chose wisely.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Excellent choice, more after market tactical gizzmawidgets than can be counted for a 870 . Mine, a 870 Police Magnum I've had for years and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    High Altitude, how about some pics. I am in the market for a shot gun too. I think it may end up being a Christmas present though. Who knows.

I just purchased the same thing today: Rem 870 Express Magnum 3" with 18" bbl, 7+1 rounds; synthetic stock. Planning to get the SpecOps stock soon.

Have to wait 10 days before I can pick it up! I think it's a California thing. Can't wait to actually pick it up and take it out to the range!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links