HD shotgun advice needed

This is a discussion on HD shotgun advice needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got back from the local gunshop and looked at two different shotguns for home defense. Mossberg Persuader, 20" barrel, 8shot capacity, synthetic stock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD shotgun advice needed

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar

HD shotgun advice needed

I just got back from the local gunshop and looked at two different shotguns for home defense.

Mossberg Persuader, 20" barrel, 8shot capacity, synthetic stock. I believe it also came with a pistol grip.

Remington 870 express, 18" barrel, 7 shot capacity, synthetic stock.

Both where priced at $280. The remington currenty has a $30 rebate but this would just be a nice bonus. It doesn't really make any difference as far as I am concerned.

Any advice on one over the other?

Both handled good. I liked the safety location on the mossberg better. Not sure if 2" shorter barrel is worth the less capacity but the remington did seem to be a much smaller package even though the barrel is only 2" shorter.

What about aftermarket support for lights, side saddles for extra rounds, ghost ring sights etc... any difference between the two?

2. Remove Ads

Either is a fine choice both have great after market support

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I agree, you'll find alot of people which will choose the Rem over the mossberg, but my 500's have never failed me...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Don't have a strong opinion either way. There are pluses and minuses to each weapon. I used an 870 for more than 25 years; one advantage it gave me was lots of accessories I didn't find available with other riot guns. The guy I sold it to 7 years ago is still using it!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    When faced with this type of decision, I usually look at the availability of accessories and go with the one that has the most cool extra stuff available in the aftermarket. They are both tough-as-nails and reliable as all get-out. You won't be disappointed with either.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Either one is a great choice.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    There are a lot of options for the mossberg also, it is a very light gun and having just bought a 590 20" to replace my 18.5" 500, I would recommand that you go with a 18.5" 6 shot persuder, a bit handier in a house, you can practice to get fast at reloads and can mount another 5 rds in a shell carrier on the reciever/butt.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have the Remington 870 HD with 4+1 Capacity, also equipped with the awesome Knoxx Spec-Ops stock. It's a rock solid, and reliable shotgun, and I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a HD firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    There are a lot of options for the mossberg also, it is a very light gun and having just bought a 590 20" to replace my 18.5" 500, I would recommand that you go with a 18.5" 6 shot persuder, a bit handier in a house, you can practice to get fast at reloads and can mount another 5 rds in a shell carrier on the reciever/butt.
    Don't forget a SpeedFeed stock with another 4 rounds in it :)

Looks a little goofy with the original wood forearm on my 835, but I don't figure anybody looking at the business end will notice.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For HD my suggestion would be the shorter bbl the better. You would sacrafice a rd or two but for HD(where you have support) no big deal. A 14 incher would be great......BUT.......go with 18.5 if you can. The ones mentioned would do the job.

If you want a pump, as long as it had twin action bars and 3" chamber,I feel that most are up to the task. Do a F&B on the weapon and keep lubed. I made the action on my Moss 500 as smooth as glass. I like the tang safety also.

If you want all the add-ons,check for the availability of these before you decide on the weapon.

Get some meat wrap or fridge boxes and shoot it, at the range, at different distances, with different loads. You'll learn allot about what the weapon will do and/or wont do.

In my expierances,most people think that the pattern of a shotgun will be bigger/wider than it actually will be. One of the hardest things that I had to teach my students was.... that you ACTUALLY gotta aim the weapon.

As with any other weapon that your gonna bet your life on >>>>>> you have to practice. You have to know what the weapon in your hands,is capeable of.---------

Of the two I prefer Remington 870s, and older ones at that. Mines a 1956 model. I just feel they are made a little better. And go with the others advice on the 18.5" barrel. Every inch makes a difference for an HD gun and IMO loosing 1 round is worth it. Plus I have a 4 shot Mesa Tactical side saddel so I feel more then well armed.

The 3 best manufacturers for aftermarket accessories (Knoxx, Mesa Tactical, and Surefire) make products for both shotguns so your set either way.

I have the 870 and it has turned out to be a surprisingly good weapon. Did a minor fluff & buff, put on a big button sefety, and added a Knoxx Comp stock. It will consistently hit the gong at 100yards with slugs. And the best part is the recoil with the Comp Stock makes it feel like I'm shooting field grade birdshot.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I agree either brand will do the job.
    My preference would be the 870.
    Personally I don't care for the pistol grips, I'd rather have a full stock.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Side Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Of the two I prefer Remington 870s, and older ones at that. Mines a 1956 model. I just feel they are made a little better. And go with the others advice on the 18.5" barrel. Every inch makes a difference for an HD gun and IMO loosing 1 round is worth it. Plus I have a 4 shot Mesa Tactical side saddel so I feel more then well armed.

The 3 best manufacturers for aftermarket accessories (Knoxx, Mesa Tactical, and Surefire) make products for both shotguns so your set either way.
    If you ever have a need to tactical reload your 870 with 8 shot capacity by reloading any of the 4 extra shells from your side saddle, then your home is being invaded by trained operatives with sub guns, night vision, and body armor ! Maybe it's Mr. And Mrs. Smith ?

I agree, the 870 or Moss 590 are both excellant choices for the price of the firearm. Both are battle tested with military and LEO agency's nationwide. Knoxx Industries "Spec Ops" stock is the most desirable accessory that I can recommend. for $150 you can reduce the felt recoil with max charge OO Buck loads to that of a mere .223 AR while maintaining a tight field of fire and target acquisition. For another $50 you can add the Knoxx Industries "Power Pak" side saddle with "Height" cheek pad. for about $500 total you can outfit your 870 better than most LEO agencies.

Personally I keep the Benelli M1 Super 90 with extended shot shell tube, and Surefire replacement fore end tac-light. However, this configuration will cost about $1600 and is not in my opinion any better than an 870 with the Knoxx "Spec Ops" stock. That is unless you feel the need for an auto loader rather than a pump for HD or tactical applications.

Go with the Remington 870 and add the Knoxx Industries "Spec Ops" Stock.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Check the 870 follower, if you go that route. The one in my new Express was a little orange milk-carton plastic affair. I'm much more confident with my Vang stainless replacement.

If you want/need a new follower, shoot me a PM- I have 2 of the Wilson solid plastic plugs. USPS, no charge....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links