Is this a good deal??

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray What's the scoop on DPMS? I had a fellow taking me to task for disagreeing with him over whether the .223 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this a good deal??

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What's the scoop on DPMS? I had a fellow taking me to task for disagreeing with him over whether the .223 and the 5.56NATO were different cartridges as well as the .308 Winchester and the 7.62NATO, and the .30-06 as applied to the M1 rifle (let's start a different thread on that topic if we must and not go there on this thread).

Anyway he was using case head separations as a reason to validate his claim, saying that a bud's DPMS was ripping the case heads off a certain type of ammo. Without looking into the rifle in detail all I could offer was that it appeared to me that his friend's rifle had more severe problems than simply out-of-spec cartridges.

DPMS seems to have a bit of a smoldering reputation as less than stellar in internet forums. Some of it's likely overblown but "where there's smoke there's fire" might hold true. Where does the brand fall in the pecking order of ARs?
    It's not out of spec cartridges, it is uber tight chambers.

To fix a DPMS;
    Have the chamber reamed with an actual 5.56 reamer, and kiss goodbye any chrome lining it may have had (or suck it up and replace the barrel).
    Properly stake the carrier key screws or replace the BCG.
    Stake the castle nut on the receiver extension (if DPMS lower).
    Replace the LPK with a Colt, PSA, DD or BCM.

Sell it on Gunbroker

Most importantly - don't use it as your HD weapon. Murphy loves bottom feeders.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Do not rush take your time find the right deal and weapon. There is not now nor will there be a shortage of AR/M4 plat form weapons. They are not hard to get. There maybe a reason the dealer you are at has an issue but the Ar/M4 and AK variants are all over the place for now.
    Local Fleet farm store has case full of them.

After reading all the great reviews and watching countless videos I purchased the M&P Sport out of Alabama for $639 and I get to go pick it up at my local FFL today. I figured with the money I saved I have plenty left over for some bulk ammo and plenty of "accessories" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    After reading all the great reviews and watching countless videos I purchased the M&P Sport out of Alabama for $639 and I get to go pick it up at my local FFL today. I figured with the money I saved I have plenty left over for some bulk ammo and plenty of "accessories" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congratulations, you've done much better than you would have with the OP rifle you were considering. Enjoy the M&P.

VIP Member
    M&P's are not considered to be "the best" out there but I've never met anyone who wasn't very happy with them. I have one and it has been super. I think you will be very pleased with it!

ETA: And since you got such a good price you can put all kinds of bling on it and it will still be cheaper than the original one you were looking at. Invest some of that extra cash into about a dozen good mags.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links