Is this a good deal??

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to get into an AR15 and don't have much knowledge on them. I went to my local gun store which is having ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this a good deal??

Is this a good deal??

I am wanting to get into an AR15 and don't have much knowledge on them. I went to my local gun store which is having a hard time keeping them in stock. The one that I am looking at is a new Armalite with aftermarket grips, aftermarket hand guard, and a red/green dot scope(not sure of the brand),it has a 30 round magazine that can handle .223/5.56 rounds. It has a price tag of $1045, is this a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Those rail covers are a brand intended for airsoft guns. I'm guessing by that, that the rail is as well. UTG is worthless. The Magpul accessories, if real are good. If they are the airsoft knockoff ones, even though licensed by Magpul, they are worthless as well. I'm calling this a bad deal. You can get a new Daniel Defense with rails for $1200ish.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Look at a Colt 6920.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Buy once and cry once. For that price, you can buy a BCM lower and upper from G&R Tactical.

VIP Member
    NO. It's not even close to a good deal.

This is a good deal:

PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 Patrol Rifle Package - Rifles - Firearms

The optic is a $400 Aimpoint.
    JD and beararms like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

This is a good deal:

I'll second that. I'm glad to see they are still making them. I suspect they had a run on their inventory at end of last year and are just getting caught up. Mine has been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

This is a good deal:

I am looking at this with some interest, very nice looking weapon. Really like the 1 in 7 twist barrel, just wish it could also take the .223 cartridge.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    I am looking at this with some interest, very nice looking weapon. Really like the 1 in 7 twist barrel, just wish it could also take the .223 cartridge....
    It can.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It can.
    Well now it has a big plus for me

Also looking at this one:

PSA MOE lower build kit (Mil-Spec MOE Stock, buffer tube, trigger guard, , PSA Classic LPK)
    DPMS 20" flattop upper w/ 1:8 Wylde Bull Barrel
    2x20 round Magpul PMAG (1 black and 1 FDE)
    Sun Optics 3-9x32 Tactical scope.

The upper has about 200 rounds through it and the new lower has about 75.
    $850

What distances will you be shooting mostly? Are you looking for a defensive type of rifle that will be worked hard maybe shooting some drills or will you be shooting distance from a bench? Unless all you plan on doing is shooting for small groups from a bench, I would not go for a heavy stainless barrel. I would not recommend DPMS regardless.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What distances will you be shooting mostly? Are you looking for a defensive type of rifle that will be worked hard maybe shooting some drills or will you be shooting distance from a bench? Unless all you plan on doing is shooting for small groups from a bench, I would not go for a heavy stainless barrel. I would not recommend DPMS regardless.
    I want something for recreation on the weekends and to take deer hunting, I am not looking for something over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    I want something for recreation on the weekends and to take deer hunting, I am not looking for something over the top.

Then I think the standard 16" that atctimmy linked to would be a good bet.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What's the scoop on DPMS? I had a fellow taking me to task for disagreeing with him over whether the .223 and the 5.56NATO were different cartridges as well as the .308 Winchester and the 7.62NATO, and the .30-06 as applied to the M1 rifle (let's start a different thread on that topic if we must and not go there on this thread).

Anyway he was using case head separations as a reason to validate his claim, saying that a bud's DPMS was ripping the case heads off a certain type of ammo. Without looking into the rifle in detail all I could offer was that it appeared to me that his friend's rifle had more severe problems than simply out-of-spec cartridges.

DPMS seems to have a bit of a smoldering reputation as less than stellar in internet forums. Some of it's likely overblown but "where there's smoke there's fire" might hold true. Where does the brand fall in the pecking order of ARs?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    DPMS seems to have a bit of a smoldering reputation as less than stellar in internet forums. Some of it's likely overblown but "where there's smoke there's fire" might hold true. Where does the brand fall in the pecking order of ARs?
    They fall at the very, very bottom. (<--Note the use of two verys.)

@OP: Don't pay the weight penalty for the big, HEAVY stainless barrel. You don't need it and you certainly don't want to lug it around.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links