Need some more opinions

Need some more opinions

This is a discussion on Need some more opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I took a look at a used DPMS(the adj stock and hand protector are polymer)that can shoot 223/5.56 and comes with a 30 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: Need some more opinions

Need some more opinions

Ok, so I took a look at a used DPMS(the adj stock and hand protector are polymer)that can shoot 223/5.56 and comes with a 30 round magazine and case, they said I can take it out the door for a total of $799.95 cash. I am trying to save money but don't want to sacrifice quality and I am new to ARs and don't want to get taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

$800 is more than I would pay for a DPMS brand new. I say run, don't walk. Spend an extra $200 and get a Colt. Go on the internet and order a new PSA or Spikes rifle for just a bit more or about the same. If you go with a DPMS you can look forward to inferior barrel steel, improperly staked bolt carrier, and numerous other shortcuts. If you still want one, and just to plink with....please just don't pay that much for one, especially used.

VIP Member
    That's a great deal for your gun store.

Seriously, if $800 doesn't bother you, for just $200 more you can have a brand new Colt LE6290, and be the envy of the range.

In any case, you can do a lot better than that. You can stroll into Walmart and pick up a new Bushmaster for $800.

I bought my stag model 2 for $800 even brand new and I think its a good rifle. $800 for a used dpms I wouldnt. where I got mine they had a new dpms for $750. Shop around and get a better deal. Be warned though ar-15s are addictive first you get the rifle and then you start buying all the goodies for it.

It doesn't have sights. Every rifle should have iron sights. Like they said, buy the Colt.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That's a great deal for your gun store.

Seriously, if $800 doesn't bother you, for just $200 more you can have a brand new Colt LE6290, and be the envy of the range.

In any case, you can do a lot better than that. You can stroll into Walmart and pick up a new Bushmaster for $800.
    ...Or for the same money, you can get a brand new M&P 15.
    $800 for a used DPMS??? I don't think so...

Like Peckman said, "Run, don't walk..."

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It doesn't have sights. Every rifle should have iron sights. Like they said, buy the Colt.
    Actually looking to put optics on because when I am not having fun with it it will also be used as a deer rifle :)
    I guess I am going to do more research before I jump into a purchase this big. I am going to look at the M&P line and the Windham Weaponry models also look interesting. I want to thank everyone for their input because I may need more help in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Colt. Daniel defense. Bravo company. Noveske. Lmt. Forget the rest.
    OD* likes this.

WAY too much for a DPMS.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    WAY too much for a DPMS.
    Agreed. Too much for a used DPMS. With the high demand for firearms right now, you may have to shop around for a few months, but deals are out there. Buying used from a retail dealer is usually the worst deal. Check prices on gunbroker.com and others.
    Buying new, Wal-Mart tends to price 20 to 40 dollars over wholesale.
    And you can't beat a new Colt.
    ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Yeah would probably be a good idea to pass on this one. In regards to optics and irons, everyone needs a set of Back Up Iron Sights for those just in case moments.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'm making the switch to a piston driven AR. Cost more but supposed to be more reliable than direct impingement. The best example (and most costly) is the H&K 416 that some special operations (Delta Force, SEALS) are now using. The civilian version is the MK556A1. Ruger also makes one (SR556). I'm getting a rifle made by PWS with an AK-47 long piston design.

If you are thinking about a Colt brand AR, make sure the pins are of milspec diameters. Depending on when manufactured, some have non-standard retention, trigger, and hammer pins. Also, newer Colt lowers might not be able to take all two stage aftermarket triggers because of a block.

Sponsored Links