New Rifle Scope Reticle Perpendicularity

This is a discussion on New Rifle Scope Reticle Perpendicularity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have recently acquired a SAKO TRG-22 in .308. I am temporarily putting a Nikon Monarch III scope on it and I am trying to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joshua M. Smith
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: New Rifle Scope Reticle Perpendicularity

New Rifle Scope Reticle Perpendicularity

I have recently acquired a SAKO TRG-22 in .308. I am temporarily putting a Nikon Monarch III scope on it and I am trying to set it up for long range shooting/learning. I have been studying how to mount the scope myself so that the scope is "true to bore". I have found several techniques that seem to make sense.

Example:
    Reticle Perpendicularity

After leveling the gun in a vise and following the procedure, I am now "true to bore". Now, when I choose to go to the range and do some practice, how am I to insure that the rifle is always level during practical shooting? I would typically be shooting prone on a mounted bipod. Is it common for someone to have a level on their rifle when shooting to insure the shot is on axis? Or will any tilt in the overall rifle still end with like results because it is "true"? Imagine this being done in perfect conditions without any other contributing factors.

Sorry if I am ignorant, I am trying to learn.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hello,

I use this:

Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device

There are several companies that make 'scope levelers that work on the same theme.

Regards,

Josh
    discoboxer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    bubbles are good add ons and are inexpensive.

though the human eye is also perfectly 'on' for most of us.
    ...think about how people adjust a crocked picture on the wall by eye
    if you are not among the most that get it perfect, get the bubble.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I can tell when my crosshairs aren't straight up and down.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just use my eye as well.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    I have recently acquired a SAKO TRG-22 in .308. I am temporarily putting a Nikon Monarch III scope on it and I am trying to set it up for long range shooting/learning. I have been studying how to mount the scope myself so that the scope is "true to bore". I have found several techniques that seem to make sense.

Example:
    Reticle Perpendicularity

After leveling the gun in a vise and following the procedure, I am now "true to bore". Now, when I choose to go to the range and do some practice, how am I to insure that the rifle is always level during practical shooting? I would typically be shooting prone on a mounted bipod. Is it common for someone to have a level on their rifle when shooting to insure the shot is on axis? Or will any tilt in the overall rifle still end with like results because it is "true"? Imagine this being done in perfect conditions without any other contributing factors.

Sorry if I am ignorant, I am trying to learn.
    And learn you shall. I always align scope reticle to level on the rifle. I do this at home and sight on a door jamb. Once the reticle is level with the rifle action, no need to worry about alignment or leveling at the range. It's always good to have the rifle level when shooting for POI. I do this with bags and by eye. Many ways to insure you're level with the action and level with reticle. I've been doing this many years and it's easier than you think even without tools. Long range to me is 500yd+. Let me know if you need more advice. I'd sight your rifle in here at the shop with a 200yd guarantee.
    discoboxer likes this.

Thanks for the replies! I too consider long range to be 500+. From my understanding, it's beyond 500yrds that the slight tilt in cant makes a noticeable difference.

I am planning to start "hand-loading" in the next couple of months and want to ensure my results are limited by my experience (or lack of) and not by equipment. Should be a good challenge, both long range training and hand-loading!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hello,

Mine is a .22LR and I regularly take squirrel at 100+ yards. The cartridge has the power and it's just the precision I'm concerned about.

I use the bubble to check myself, but really hardly ever use it. On my land, it's easy to get canted due to the lay of the land, but not too much.

I do use the squirrel's ear as an aiming point and expect to hit directly below it at any reasonable distance.

Regards,

Josh

Links