Need suggestions for an inexpensive light set-up for a shotgun.

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for an inexpensive light set-up for a shotgun. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I need some suggestions for an inexpesnive light set-up for a 12 gauge Winchester 1200 with an 18" barrel. i know some of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need suggestions for an inexpensive light set-up for a shotgun.

Need suggestions for an inexpensive light set-up for a shotgun.

Hey,

I need some suggestions for an inexpesnive light set-up for a 12 gauge Winchester 1200 with an 18" barrel.

i know some of you are going to say," Save your money and buy a XXXXXX. What's your life worth?"

Well, if I had the money, believe me, I'd spend it on a wonderful set-up. I don't have the money. Can't afford to spend $250 or even $100 and would like to get away spending less than $50.

In the past I've gotten flashlights from Dealextreme for $20-$30 and they have been great for handheld lights and inexpensive compared to the big name lights. And for me, they have worked just as well.

Has anybody here bought AND actually used/tested an inexpensive LED light on their shotgun? I'd like to hear from people who have put an inexpensive light on their shotgun and been happy with it.

The "I hear" or "I think" such and such would work okay" won't cut it. I'd like to hear from some folks that have come up with inexpensive set-ups, testED them out on their shotgun and are satisfied with the results.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Good Luck!!

I can pass on my attempts to do what your looking for, but came up short. I mounted a Surefire 6P LED to my mossberg M590A1 thinking that the "indestructible" LED would solve the heavy recoil issue... WRONG!

The weak link after going LED is the batteries themselves. After a decent training day at the range (100 bird shot, 10buck, 5 slug) I removed the batteries only to find a massive dent in the back of the furthest CR123 battery. They handnt failed yet but were precariously close to broken... Like one more shot and dead. I don't know how to get around the battery abuse of a 12 gauge but would love to hear if someone else has "cracked the code". I know I could replace the batteries after each range session but those CR123 batteries are expensive!!!

Senior Moderator
    Be advised that shotguns are very hard on lights.

Its OK to keep one on there for home defense, but if you plan to shoot it much be sure to take it off.

The recoil is hard on them. The last thing that you want is a light on your shotgun not to work when you hear that bump in the night, because you put a bunch of rounds throught it at the range and didnt take it off.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah, I guess I was asking a lot.

My Daughters HD Mossberg 150 Lumens. It lights things up this one does not have the adjustable beam. paid 45 for it on sale.
    Made by UTG Model EL228 The mount is about 10 bucks . The light can be mounted in different way and come with two bodies.
    Light comes with option for the remote or not however you wish to set it up.
    It is tough and works well .
    This shot gun is for nothing but HD , the setup works well cheap lights never did for me in the past.

Use a carbine (if you have one) for HD instead. No problem finding lights that will withstand an AR's recoil.

While i haven't tried this, I was trying to think outside the box a bit. I don't have a shotgun, but I'd be interested to see someone test this: use a 1" scope ring, cut some rubber tube, put it inside the scope ring and clamp the flashlight thats less than 1" in diameter inside the scope ring. My thinking is that the rubber tube will help reduce enough of the sharp force on the flashlight to keep it running. My dad has used it on cheaper scopes and it seemed to have worked.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

RKM

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    As most have been telling you shotguns are harsh on lights I have had the expensive ones and learned the hard way. I now go with the middle of the road lights $40.00-50.00 My current one is a UAG. It doesnt feel as bad when they break down.

OP - Do you really need a light on your shotgun?

Are you planning on moving through your home with it? Are you trained to clear a home, by yourself, while keeping a long gun from being grabbed while rounding a corner and used against you?

My shotgun has one purpose - to guard the door to our safe room, once we are all already inside. As such, no need for a light. If I have to move inside my home, I use my handgun - which is easier to retain, and which leaves a hand free for the phone, door knobs, light switches, the kids, etc.

Clearing a home by yourself is a very dangerous thing to do, and should only be attempted if there is no other choice.

Folks like to hang lights on everything, without thinking about how they will (or should) employ the weapon.
    RichB70 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    beararms, really. An AR for home defense? How many walls would the bullets go through? I wouldn't want to kill the neighbors or someone walking in front of the house. Save the AR for the Zombies. Oh yeah, my 870 has a Fenix TK15 mounted with Laserlyte rail. About 80 bucks total. Thanks to all for the info on not leaving the light on the gun when firing at the range. i did not know the recoil would be that bad on them.

This sounds like a design opportunity. Obviously a rigid mount transmits too much acceleration to the light. A dampened mount would be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    beararms, really. An AR for home defense? How many walls would the bullets go through? I wouldn't want to kill the neighbors or someone walking in front of the house. Save the AR for the Zombies. Oh yeah, my 870 has a Fenix TK15 mounted with Laserlyte rail. About 80 bucks total. Thanks to all for the info on not leaving the light on the gun when firing at the range. i did not know the recoil would be that bad on them.
    With the proper rounds an AR makes a great HD weapon. Choose a round that does HORRIBLE against barriers (TAP) and you won't have to worry about killing your neighbors. Any round worth using that would be affective will go through walls.

I choose to not use my AR for HD because I'd cry when it's taken as evidence. If I have multiple AR's, it would be my first choice. As of now, my Hk USP is my #1 HD gun, with my Mossberg 500 #2. I feel that a pistol is an optimal HD weapon as it allows you to easily move through your home if needed, can be operated with one hand, and if it's confiscated... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - Do you really need a light on your shotgun?

Are you planning on moving through your home with it? Are you trained to clear a home, by yourself, while keeping a long gun from being grabbed while rounding a corner and used against you?

My shotgun has one purpose - to guard the door to our safe room, once we are all already inside. As such, no need for a light. If I have to move inside my home, I use my handgun - which is easier to retain, and which leaves a hand free for the phone, door knobs, light switches, the kids, etc.

Clearing a home by yourself is a very dangerous thing to do, and should only be attempted if there is no other choice.

Folks like to hang lights on everything, without thinking about how they will (or should) employ the weapon.
    On much we agree. In your home in most cases stay put defend your ground don't go looking if you can avoid it.
    As for the light 150 lumes can be a weapon it's self in the eyes for a BG entering a room it can give you a few extra seconds.
    It can also be a tool in making sure you target is a target.
    Around here the HD shot gets used to rid our self of a bothersome animal from time to time. For some reason it seems they come around at night.
    With the momentary switch it is there if you want , often better to have some thing and not use it than need it and not have it.

I have a surefire 318lm on my 870 and it has failed twice,surefire always repairs it without question,but it still is beat apart on a shotgun,You put 600 rounds through on on a shotgun course and it does bad things to accessories,I've even had screws broke loose on my Mesa Tac side saddle,with it falling off in the class,I know you'll say,"I want never put mine through that",but you have got to train with it,and who's to say that next shot is'nt the breaking point.If you keep buying cheap lights,don't expect good results,and eventully you will have spent enough to have bought a good light with a great warranty,and customer service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links