Olympic Arms AR15 7.62x39, need some info on Olympic Arms as a manufacturer

This is a discussion on Olympic Arms AR15 7.62x39, need some info on Olympic Arms as a manufacturer within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had posted a thread earlier about trying to find an AR for both hunting deer and zombies, which would need something a bit larger ...

Thread: Olympic Arms AR15 7.62x39, need some info on Olympic Arms as a manufacturer

Olympic Arms AR15 7.62x39, need some info on Olympic Arms as a manufacturer

I had posted a thread earlier about trying to find an AR for both hunting deer and zombies, which would need something a bit larger than 5.56. But wanted something around 1k price range, which excludes AR10s that I had seen.

Best suggestion was Ruger Mini 14/30.

Then someone gave me this link for Olympic Arms AR in 7.62x39 K30R - 7.62 x 39mm AR-15

This is $900.

I don't know anything about Olympic Arms. I was considering ARs from SW and Stag that are sub $1k (no accessories).

I am hoping some have real world experience with this manufac. There are some posts from several years ago about them having issues, but supposedly they changed their manufacturing process since them. Appreciate any 1st or 2nd hand input. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I didn't know there were AR platforms in 7.62 x 39! I guess I never really looked... Thanks!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I have an upper in 7.62x39,had a lug on the bolt that broke off,must not of been MPI tested and it's a 65.00 replacement,I also have a mini 30 Ranch with a leupold 3x9x42 scope, I have taken deer with,used the Soft Point ammo,they dropped like a rock when I put the shot right behind the front leg in the boiler room.
    I would recommend the Mini 30 over the AR,and I like the AR platform,but finding decent mags is a PITA and only found 10 rounders that work decent,you can get 20 rounders for the mini 30 now.I bought my mini 30 over 10 years ago for under $500
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have an upper in 7.62x39,had a lug on the bolt that broke off,must not of been MPI tested and it's a 65.00 replacement,I also have a mini 30 Ranch with a leupold 3x9x42 scope, I have taken deer with,used the Soft Point ammo,they dropped like a rock when I put the shot right behind the front leg in the boiler room.
    I would recommend the Mini 30 over the AR,and I like the AR platform,but finding decent mags is a PITA and only found 10 rounders that work decent,you can get 20 rounders for the mini 30 now.I bought my mini 30 over 10 years ago for under $500
    Thanks. Was this Olympic Arms that broke? I am in MA, I can only have 10 round mags, so that is not an issue for me. However, reliability is paramount, which is really what I wanted to know about the Olympic Arms.

VIP Member
    Oly is up here and we see them quite a bit. They are known for making cheap AR's and many bash on them for quality. I have never owned one, I will say that some people swear by them though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

RKM
    7.62x39 AR's are typically very unreliable. The angle that 7.62x39 goes through an AR magwell is wrong and causes feeding problems.

You could buy a 5.56 AR and just put a .300 BLK barrel in it. Or get a AR in 6.8 SPC (or upper).......

Don't assume the 5.56 is weak because of it's size. 5.56 can take deer but the legality of it's use it limited in some areas. I wouldn't use 5.56 for deer if I had the choice (I don't hunt), but for self defense against 2 legged predators, 5.56 is perfect.

I had a mini, and now have the AR...I would say if you are going to be hunting get the ruger!

they have lots of tacticool goodies just like AR does.

sgb
    Olympic Arms is bottom of the barrel IMO. The 7.62x39 is a poor choice to run in an AR, the 6.8 spcII is a much, much better choice. Specially for Deer size game.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I put about 10,000 rds throught an Oly carbine. I purchased it in 1992. sold it in 2012 and it was still running strong. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I put about 10,000 rds throught an Oly carbine. I purchased it in 1992. sold it in 2012 and it was still running strong. YMMV
    Was that the 223/5.56 or the 7.62x39.
    I had problems with stuck cases in my 7.62x39 upper,it sits in a corner of my gun room.one day I will probably replace the barrel with a 6.8 and replace the bolt and leave all my 7.62x39 shooting to the mini 30,It's the gun that taught my wife first hand about scope eye
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links