Shotgun light

Shotgun light

This is a discussion on Shotgun light within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a new homes defense shotgun and put a light on it. I could not find a good spot for the pressure switch so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Shotgun light

Shotgun light

I bought a new homes defense shotgun and put a light on it. I could not find a good spot for the pressure switch so I left it off. I adjusted the light so I could turn it on and off easy with my lefthand. The wire from the pressure switch looks like it would catch on everything? Is there a better way too do this?

VIP Member
    What kind of shotgun, pump or semi, are we working with here and how is the light mounted, on an added/built in rail or by a barrel clamp? What type of activation switch is on the light, rear push button/lever and so on?

A picture would be great.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

As mentioned on another thread buy a good one cheap ones do not hold up on a shot gun.
    Need suggestions for an inexpensive light set-up for a shotgun.

So many ways to do it ,mount it so you get no shadows from the weapon or your hand.

Take a look at the Surefire forend/light combo. They're not cheap, but they work really well.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have a Streamlight Poly-Tac LED mounted on my 870. The mount is made by Elzetta. I love this setup.Best of all, it's made in the U.S.A

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1335063625

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1335063606

Amazon.com: Elzetta Tactical Shotgun 0.70" to 1.05" Flashlight Mount: Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I have a Streamlight Poly-Tac LED mounted on my 870. The mount is made by Elzetta. I love this setup.Best of all, it's made in the U.S.A

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1335063625

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1335063606

Amazon.com: Elzetta Tactical Shotgun 0.70" to 1.05" Flashlight Mount: Sports & Outdoors
    Is your 870 a 12ga? If so, have your fired it with the light attached? How many rounds and did it hold up?

If it held up OK. I'm gonna by me a tiny radioator hose type clamp, line it with some electrical tape and put a Polytac in it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
    Is your 870 a 12ga? If so, have your fired it with the light attached? How many rounds and did it hold up?

If it held up OK. I'm gonna by me a tiny radioator hose type clamp, line it with some electrical tape and put a Polytac in it.

Thanks.
    Thats a lot of hassle,Just duk tape that sucker on there,
    RichB70 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick53 View Post

Thanks.
    I have not fired the gun since installing the light. It's only been on for a few weeks.

Have used a Surefire G2 LED with no issues through many 12 gauge rounds, slugs and buckshot.

Just load the first shot with a flare round, forget the flashlight
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by Starkster View Post
    I bought a new homes defense shotgun and put a light on it. I could not find a good spot for the pressure switch so I left it off. I adjusted the light so I could turn it on and off easy with my lefthand. The wire from the pressure switch looks like it would catch on everything? Is there a better way too do this?

As others have stated, it depends on your gun and the reason you want a light on the barrel. I built my home on 3 wooded acres with a 6 foot fence completely around. No one can see my home so it's a great place for a home invasion, if they get past the German Shepherds and the Akitas. More important to me are the Rattlesnakes I've had to deal with. I have walked up on two very big Diamond Backs during the night here and I had to go back to the house to get my Savage 20 GA over/under single shot and go back to find the snakes with a flashlight. After finding them I had to hold a flashlight and aim the gun at the same time. Both snakes were larger than my Savage shotgun so I would guess they were at least feet 4 feet long. You can judge from the poor quality videos I made just after killing them. So back to purpose .... my purpose is to be able to see and aim at the same time so as long as the light is centered with the barrel for the first shot then I'm happy. So I found a couple double hose clamps I had in a tool box, lined the inside with some cheap adhesive backed rubber strips and secured it to the barrel of a Mossberg 500 with a cheap rubberized flashlight from Walmart in the second clamp. So for my purpose I have a very cheap solution, your mileage may vary.

The snakes
    savage_24_24C-202.jpg

www.akita-friends.com/snake/1st-snake.mpg

www.akita-friends.com/snake/2nd-rattlesnake.mpg

The cheap:

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

Bob

The weak point on shotgun lights is the batteries. My Surefire 6p LED held up fine to buck and slug drills, the batteries inside took a beating though. The flat surface of the rear battery caved in, it looked like the coil spring on the tail cap was smashed into it a few too many times. I have no idea how to get around this.

Does this happen to those of you with dedicated sure fire forend lights? Is there some sort of built in buffer?

Here is what you need: Streamlight TLR-1 with long gun package that includes a coiled cord, a railed fore-end such as a Falcon Ergo or a new Magpul with a section of rail, a Streamlight brand rail that mounts to an extended magazine tube. The pressure pad mounts on the railed fore-end for use with your left thumb (right handed shooter), the coiled tube goes to the light and the light mounts on the mag tube mount. I use this setup on my 870 Police Magnum. It has stood up to two years in my trunk and several instructor schools.

As mentioned, buy quality. I have seen a handful of cheap lights completely fail even from 5.56 and from 7.62. I would only buy Surefire for any weapon light, especially a shotgun. I would also use an Insight or maybe a TLR if they were given to me or I got them at a great deal, but I'll only buy Surefire for now.

I've used them for years on all of my firearms and never once have any of them failed due to use/abuse. I recently had an SR07 pressure switch cord get damaged due to abuse, and it continued working during a rainy day of shooting.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links