magazine question

This is a discussion on magazine question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I am really confused about something. I just got an arsenal Ak and i LOVE it! It shoots so smooth and accurate! I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JD

Thread: magazine question

Question magazine question

Hey guys,
    I am really confused about something. I just got an arsenal Ak and i LOVE it! It shoots so smooth and accurate! I have been doing some research on magazines for it to have more than the little five rounder that came with it. I am getting so many mixed opinions. I was going to buy some tapco's from ctd but everyone told me "stay away from those man!" So i didn't. Then it was Bulgarian waffles. But after seeing them for $35 each I said no. Finally steel mags. I ordered two eastern blocks online that were listed as excellent condition. My question is how many of you use tapco's? How many use steel? Are these worth my money or are they going to just break? I am planning on takaing a class here in Memphis and don't want them to fail. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I have a few Tapco's but mostly steel Milsurp mags. I haven't had issues with either. The Tapco's are cheap enough that you can try them out. They're not bad. I wouldn't keep them loaded for long periods of time though because of the plastic lips. For any serious shooting, I'd stick with steel mags.

Okay thanks for the advice. I'm still new to the ak game and trying to figure everything out

JD
    Administrator
    Check out the US Palm magazines. DON'T SKIMP ON MAGAZINES, mag issues are plentiful enough on good mags, why invite trouble?

Thanks Jd. Yea I looked at then but don't like how they don't have removable floor plates. Although they look leaps above the tapco as far as quality is concerned. But for $5.45 each from ctd what can one expect. I am seriously wondering why the great minds at magpul can't make something here?

VIP Member
    Mattman. I carry AK's for a living and have several of my own. As has been stated don't skimp on mags, now with that being said do you need to just run Bulgarian Circle 10's? No not at all.

I own several Circle 10's and have no problems with them. They are probably the finest of all the mags for an AK however I use and train with Eastern Combloc steel mags from AIM Surplus at $10 bucks a pop. The steel mags will do everything you need to do for a long time it simply depends on what kind of training you do. Once you dent the outside of the mag bad enough it will not function correctly so it is stripped of parts, painted red and used for a training mag.

I stay away from TAPCO mags they to me are simply not up to snuff if you do any type of realistic training. As far as US Palm, some swear by them but as you stated they cannot be taken apart to be cleaned and are rather pricey.

So to wrap all this up. Buy a few Circle 10's when you can find them or want them, load them up make sure all is right with the world and they function with your rifle then reload them with the good stuff and make them your go to mags. Buy as many combloc mags as you can afford or need and use them to train with I have seen them as low as $8.95 if you buy 10 or more on gunbroker. If you eventually wear them out toss it and get another.
    It is all up to you how many mags you have on hand I have several for all my rifles and simply wait til I find a good deal and order in bulk.

This is part of my mag stash. 5.56 Bulgarian Circle 10's, G-3, M-14, FN/FAL, Combloc AK and PMags. If I find a good deal would be happy to let you know and you can get in on the bulk order or I will simply buy a bulk group and sell you however many you want for the same price. Just let me know. I am not at home but depending on where you are in Arkansas I am sure Lory could get them to you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I use steel surplus magazines and haven't had any issues... but I also don't use my rifle for a defensive role...

Administrator
    The TAPCO mags may function OK. I have a couple of TAPCO for my Galil and they function fine but, I would be concerned with storing them fully stoked long term.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links