Left-Handed AR Rifles

This is a discussion on Left-Handed AR Rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am a lefty and I want an AR rifle. I know Stag Arms offers a lefty model. My question is, why do I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Left-Handed AR Rifles

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar

Left-Handed AR Rifles

So I am a lefty and I want an AR rifle. I know Stag Arms offers a lefty model. My question is, why do I need a specific left handed model? I have never had any issues shooting "right handed" pistols and revolvers.

I know nothing about this platform. Are there reasons such as brass ejection, etc. that make shooting them hazardous for lefties? Please educate me. I don't want a left specific rifle unless I need one.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am not a lefty so this is just an opinion.

I personally have never seen the need for one. Military and Police units have used standard M-16's and M-4's for years without issues. Obviously running the gun will be different as the control are made for right handers so you would have to adapt whatever technique works for you.

If it is still there a Lefty Stag is for sale on here.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Administrator
    Stag Arms & The DPMS Southpaw & you can also just purchase an upper.

AR-15 LEFT-HANDED UPPER RECEIVER - From Brownells.

Purpose-designed upper receiver components are mirror images of the mil-spec right-handed parts, so rounds eject from the left side of the weapon. Now you can build a gun adapted to you, and not have to adapt yourself to the gun. Forged aluminum Left-Handed Upper Receiver comes with the forward assist on the left for comfortable operation by naturally left-handed shooters. Installed ejection port dust cover flips upwards to clear the bolt release on the lower receiver. 13-slot Picatinny rail provides a full 5" for tactical accessories, while the etched position numbers in rail slots ensure repeatability of optic mounting position. Requires the Stag Arms left-handed bolt/carrier assembly and barrel extension, sold separately.

This is the problem with the left handed AR uppers, they require proprietary parts that makes it difficult to source parts for or have to stock two different BCGs.
    I am left handed and have no problems running the controls on a AR or most another weapon. I will add a Ambidextrous safety to my ARs but other than that they are stock in terms of controls. The only issue I have had with a AR is the gas blow back if you are shooting a suppressed or SBR.
    The only left handed rifle I have is a left handed bolt .308 and I don't know if I run it any better than a right handed one.

Sent from this... Using that...
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    So I am a lefty and I want an AR rifle. I know Stag Arms offers a lefty model. My question is, why do I need a specific left handed model? I have never had any issues shooting "right handed" pistols and revolvers.

I know nothing about this platform. Are there reasons such as brass ejection, etc. that make shooting them hazardous for lefties? Please educate me. I don't want a left specific rifle unless I need one.
    Brass ejection is the main reason. If you look at a standard AR, there is a "bump" behind the ejection port, which is there to deflect shells (early AR variants lacked this, as do some budget models, like the DPMS Sportical I believe). But even with the shell deflector, some people find the brass distracting. FWIW, I have shot M-16's lefty on occasion, and it never really bothered me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    My step son and his cousin are both lefties and they both prefer a standard AR.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I shoot my pistol with my right hand and I shoot left hand with my BCM ar, no problems at all.

Senior Moderator
    A lefty is desinged to eject the brass to the left and out of the line of sight.
    Right handed rifle ejects to the right . When its on the right shoulder the brass ejects away from you.

A left firing a right handed rifle has the brass eject across his field of view, sending unburned power fragments and gas right into the face.

The left hander firing a left handed rifle does not have this issue, as it ejects to the left...thus the left handed rifle.

Gas in the face is distracting as are spent cartridges flying across your face.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Don't remember having gas or brass in my Aimpoint field of view. Again no problems.

I have to shoot lefty,all my AR's are righties,with the brass deflector it's not a problem,early M16's had a tendency to fling brass right past a lefties face,and usually down the shirt of the guy next to you on the firing line,which is why we buttoned the top button on our shirts,but they came up with the brass deflector on M16A2 and it kicked brass toward the right front
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm a lefty and have never been hit by my own brass. I actually find the weapon easier to manipulate left handed, as long as you get ambi controls. My reasoning is that without moving my head at all (nose to charging handle) I can see into the chamber with my right eye and see if I have a malfunction, etc. Because the ejection port is open on your support side, it's easier for me to clear malfunctions as well, IMO. YMMV. I will never buy a lefty rifle, parts are not all interchangeable and I prefer having the ejection port on my support side.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am a lefty with rifles, due to left eye dominance, and prefer the standard AR15, with just one mod: the RRA safety lever with the star-shaped nubbin, rather than the usual lever. This is the single-sided safety, not the ambi version; I manipulate it with the base knuckle of the trigger finger, in the manner recommended by Kyle Lamb in his excellent book. I do not want my AR to have an ambi safety, nor an ambi mag release. The AR15 is amazingly lefty-friendly as-is, perhaps better for the lefty than for the right-hander.

As for brass flying across my visual field, well, I see it as confirmation that ejection is working properly. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies and useful information!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Check out the Battle Arms BAD ASS safety too.

I too am left handed and I have been looking for a stag AR-15 for about 5 weeks now. It seems that they are really hard to come by right now and there is a 6-8 week lead time on all orders. I would prefer to get a left handed AR but I think I may have to end up settling for a standard AR-15. If anyone knows where I can pick up an Stag model 2TL let me know as this is what I have been looking for. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links