KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15 - Page 2

KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15

This is a discussion on KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CanuckQue Outside of weight, how did you find the bulk? Was it out of the way enough that you rarely noticed it? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Outside of weight, how did you find the bulk? Was it out of the way enough that you rarely noticed it? Did your nature hand movements have to work around it, and so you often noticed the bulk?
    I had a BetaMag in 5.56 and one in 9mm for my MP5. I never warned up to them, especially in 5.56, as it was awkward to sling the rifle and hold in a patrol ready. Not terrible, just awkward.

Seeing that my rifle is always slung and never really left at the bench, this was an issue, though small. It obviously added weight, roughly 2 pounds, which is about 25% of an unloaded, equipped rifle.

I have video of my MP5 firing bursts with the BetaMag. I've never done full auto dumps, so I really saw no advantage. I understand why some like them though.

I know these aren't the KCI mags, but the size should be about the same...

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Outside of weight, how did you find the bulk? Was it out of the way enough that you rarely noticed it? Did your nature hand movements have to work around it, and so you often noticed the bulk?
    Well.....good you asked. Shooting offhand, I tend to like holding the front of the magwell.......this is not possible with the drum. I ended up putting my support hand palm flat on the bottom of the drum magazine. The bulk? It's not really in the way of anything and it did not bother me. I most often shoot off a bipod, and I also did that with the drum mag. The weight is noticeable as one might think. Somewhere around 2-3lbs loaded, but it's centered pretty well. I did not take my forward grip to the range with me (seems I always forget something even planning days in advance). The forward grip would probably be good with this, but the drum magazine itself doesn't stick down any more than a standard 20 round magazine....maybe even less.

I had a BetaMag in 5.56 and one in 9mm for my MP5. I never warned up to them, especially in 5.56, as it was awkward to sling the rifle and hold in a patrol ready. Not terrible, just awkward.

Seeing that my rifle is always slung and never really left at the bench, this was an issue, though small. It obviously added weight, roughly 2 pounds, which is about 25% of an unloaded, equipped rifle.
    Well....some more points to ponder. Indeed.......I've used the standard sling, and I usually use a single point sling with my AR. I would think that maybe a three point sling might help with this and holding maybe waist level instead of chest level. I figure if you did any transitioning, or maneuvering without controlling the rifle somehow with this loaded magazine inserted.......it could possibly beat you badly or crack a rib.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links