KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15

This is a discussion on KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just wanted some input from those who have one of these mags. SGM or KCI whatever they want to call them. Less than half ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15

KCI 100rd drum mag for AR15

I just wanted some input from those who have one of these mags. SGM or KCI whatever they want to call them. Less than half price of the Beta C mags. I've been looking though reviews on the internet all day. I just want to hear pros and cons from the family. I'm set on getting either one this week. I don't want to hear any buy American stuff over this. I make half of what a union worker does and pay for gas to get back and forth to work...so that is a mute point. Thanks
    ericb327 and WHEC724 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    They work. I've used several of them on the Slide Fire stocks and ripped right through them without so much as a hiccup.

Word of caution...If you do go through 100 rounds in rapid fashion and you lean the gun against a table, do NOT grab it by the barrel when it starts sliding down.

Dont ask...
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They work. I've used several of them on the Slide Fire stocks and ripped right through them without so much as a hiccup.

Word of caution...If you do go through 100 rounds in rapid fashion and you lean the gun against a table, do NOT grab it by the barrel when it starts sliding down.

Dont ask...
    Can you say Hot Guns!?!?!
    HotGuns likes this.
    Walk softly ...

I wonder how many times they can be used, and how long they can sit 'loaded' before being troublesome?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I have heard that you want to forget the graphite and go with silicone spray lube. I'm a big fan of silicone spray lube for everything with rubber boots under my 4WD and I can actually see the common sense in that.

VIP Member
    How cumbersome/heavy is it, running around with one of those things?

I almost bought a Beta on a whim at the last gun show...

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    How cumbersome/heavy is it, running around with one of those things?

I almost bought a Beta on a whim at the last gun show...
    How "cumbersome" is it for our guys in Afghanistan to go out on patrol every day? Heavy? What is "heavy"? You only run around when you're not being shot at IMO. Then again.....................the qualities about it you dislike may be the ones that cause the enemy to turn and run at the mere sight of it. Maybe it's all just all psychological now?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    How "cumbersome" is it for our guys in Afghanistan to go out on patrol every day? Heavy? What is "heavy"? You only run around when you're not being shot at IMO. Then again.....................the qualities about it you dislike may be the ones that cause the enemy to turn and run at the mere sight of it. Maybe it's all just all psychological now?
    Who said I didn't like it? Enemies turn and run at the mere sight of it? You lost me.

Anyway, 'hope it works out for you. For the right price, I might get one too.

Time will tell,I wonder about the availability of replacement parts like springs if one breaks down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Rebuild kits are available. I've sort of been looking for the clear covers for mine which are also available depending. This is an election year of course. Stuff like this is hard to find at times just like ammo. I plan on a range test soon with pics of course. Then........I'll be loading it up again and saving it for the next range session or whatever gets in the way of me having another range session as the case may be. For now let me just say it does look nice inserted into my Bushmaster mag well, and It's short enough (like a standard 20rd mag) so I can shoot off the bipod on the bench. 30rd mags are just a bit too long to do that with.
    By the way..................anyone remember a TV series called Tour of Duty? I don't do much TV watching, but I seem to remember an episode where one of the platoon members was carrying an M16 with a 100rd drum magazine. Show was depicting Viet Nam era, and from what I've read, the 100rd drum magazine didn't debut until the late 70's early 80's. Let me know if you've got any kind of insight into this.

Well.......been fully loaded and in the gun safe for.......well....since I got it.....maybe two-three months? Got it out to the range today along with a few other test runs I've been meaning to do.
    Not one single problem out of this KCI 100rd mag! All ammo was .223 and rifle was my lowly (almost unthinkable) Bushmaster 1/9 11.5" barrel factory BCG etc. One thing I will note here.....the fully loaded mag does not insert well on a closed bolt...matter of fact I had to lock bolt back for it to latch. Secondly....and not much issue either.......bolt did not lock back after last round (but at least it did not attempt to strip off the dummy round(s). I'm real happy with this magazine, and it's reliable for me. Shooting 100 rounds out of a single mag through my AR-15 lasted a long time at the range today. I never knew when it was gonna run out. Yeah....it's kinda heavy, but I shot it standing while supporting mag well with offhand as well. 2 extra pounds is really not an issue when you've got three times the ammo at your disposal.
    I'll not be selling this for any amount no matter who gets elected this year. My KCI 100rd drum mag is a keeper!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Holy cow it's a scary black gun with 100 rounds of ammo. Don't show that to an anti or Bloomberg, it might make their heart stop. On the flip size that is pretty dang cool.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Holy cow it's a scary black gun with 100 rounds of ammo. Don't show that to an anti or Bloomberg, it might make their heart stop. On the flip size that is pretty dang cool.
    Well.....looks aint everything. It works. "Cool" is a visual thing. Business is business. The show is now available.

Outside of weight, how did you find the bulk? Was it out of the way enough that you rarely noticed it? Did your nature hand movements have to work around it, and so you often noticed the bulk?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for review, Ram Rod. I'm in - 'just ordered it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links