Mini 14 - Page 2

Mini 14

This is a discussion on Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the replies. I plan on putting on a barrel strut, and as far as mags go, I grabbed a tapco gen I mag ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini 14

Thanks for the replies.

I plan on putting on a barrel strut, and as far as mags go, I grabbed a tapco gen I mag from fleet.. this was before I found out there is a gen II mag, and that they work MUCH better. After a little tweaking I think I've gotten issues with the gen I mag worked out.

As far as accuracy goes, as I said, HD, bug out, and hopefully a bit of coyote hunting I feel fairly comfortable with after shooting it. Iron sights and it's pretty decent, granted it was only about 20-25 yards (we were out shooting pistols), I want to put a low power scope on it for medium range if at all possible.

The biggest thing I have to say about it, is I love this rifle. Not only because it was my grandfathers but it is just a ton of fun to shoot. I miss my AR that I used to have, and my AK, but dang it all this thing is fun!

Here's a pic, she's an old one.

photo.JPG

I used to work a few blocks away from the shop that makes Accu-Strut. Would definitely recommend it for that model. Make sure to get the right one for your barrel. Mine is scoped. Get ruger factory scope rings that mount right to the receiver. I know that the receivers haven't always been made that way and I can't tell if yours is. I still recommend a Ruger 30rd or 20rd magazine. They're all steel and a bit heavier but well worth it.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    I used to work a few blocks away from the shop that makes Accu-Strut. Would definitely recommend it for that model. Make sure to get the right one for your barrel. Mine is scoped. Get ruger factory scope rings that mount right to the receiver. I know that the receivers haven't always been made that way and I can't tell if yours is. I still recommend a Ruger 30rd or 20rd magazine. They're all steel and a bit heavier but well worth it.
    I would love to get ruger mags but the unfortunate thing is im a college student working part time and on a tight budget. I will look into the accu struts though and make sure I get the right one. I also found a no drill 180 series scope mount that I want to get, because of the sentimental value of the rifle I want to keep it as stock as possible.

The wife wants another ak though lol, I'll try and turn her on to an AR so we can stock up on .223/5.56 instead of having to worry about another caliber.

Also someone please stop me before I get banned, but is talking about SHTF and bugging out against forum rules? I hadn't seen anything against it, but I also hadn't seen any posts talking about it... Then again I am new here.

I just like being ready... Just in case.

Matt

Was looking at the mini 14 30, with 7.62 x 39 for multiple uses.

Is the accuracy of this model any better? I was hoping for accuracy to several hundred yards. Thanks.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
    I would love to get ruger mags but the unfortunate thing is im a college student working part time and on a tight budget. I will look into the accu struts though and make sure I get the right one.
    Matt
    Methinks that you should get some reliable Ruger factory mags before the struts. The struts won't mean anything if the gun jams. Never know if the factory mags will always be available. For a long time, Ruger did not sell anything more than the 5rd mags to the general public.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links