M&P or Del-Ton?

This is a discussion on M&P or Del-Ton? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know it seems like a silly question, but bear with me. And for those of you who don't like beating dead horses.... you may ...

Thread: M&P or Del-Ton?

M&P or Del-Ton?

I know it seems like a silly question, but bear with me.
    And for those of you who don't like beating dead horses.... you may want to move along
    I have one of the new M&P Magpul middy's on order, but the local shop has no idea when it will ship. I don't have any deposit, but he said he'd call me when they come in. I'm sure that he won't have trouble selling it if I don't buy it. I like all that is to like about the Smith/Magpul carbine, but the price and the wait. (btw I was quoted a bit over $1,000).
    On the other hand, another local shop has a complete A2 style Del-Ton with same barrel profile and Magpul furniture for about $750. It may have even been mid-length. I asked about how much of it is Milspec and if the bolt and carrier are MP tested and the dealer was quick to say that it is all milspec. I wasn't too sure about that, but if it is true..... It sure sounds tempting.

I don't care about having the sexiest carbine on the block, but I don't want a turd at any price. I'm looking at mostly range toy, but plan on making it a house gun too and I have dreams of taking a carbine course in the next 12 months.
    What would you do? Bird in the hand or two in the bush? More time, more money = better (?) rifle or get the sure thing?
    Any opinions or help is appreciated.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

I have a del-ton. I built her from kit. I was happy enough to try and buy another, but their kits have been sold out for a while (damned election).

I love mine to death. No one goes "ohh--ahh" over it, but I really could care less. It has been alarmingly reliable for me, to the point of completely changing my opinion of AR-15s.

Think about what you are really going to do with this rifle. How many rounds are you going to fire? I've seen so many people dump money into an expensive brand-name safe-queen and they never fire it. After asking everyone's opinion of what is the most "battle ready" rifle they just don't shoot it.

For $750 you can't go wrong, granted you could probably build the same thing from a kit for $600.

I think Del-Ton is the Honda Accord of rifles. Inexpensive, solid, under-appreciated.

Del-Tons may work, but they're built with lower quality parts that will fail sooner in most cases and are more prone to failure. More prone to failure doesn't mean they'll all fail in the first month, but on the the same firing schedule with a Colt, for example, they'll fail sooner and there's a better chance of having issues.

The M&P is a decent rifle. Now, I wouldn't pay $1,000 for one when I can get a Colt 6920 for the same price, but I wouldn't throw a free one away.

I can assure you the Del-Ton is NOT MIL SPEC. Do not ever, ever listen to a gun shop employee (or owner for that matter) when they speak of quality. I have found VERY FEW exceptions.

Edit - I would probably take one over an Olympic or DPMS though. I would never take one over an M&P. The Colt Magpul edition is basically the same price as the M&P.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Oh, you'll see people mention the staking of their Del Ton is good on their bolt carrier. This is a good thing at first glance, but it's not that great if the screws are smaller than spec to begin with. You'll see this with Del Ton quite often. The screw and the cutout should be very close, not a large gap. Sounds like a small issue, but this can potentially allow a gas leak which will result in a failure to cycle.

I don't know. To me it's one of those things where you can save money with a hit or miss company, or spend a little more and have a proven, quality rifle.

Edit - and another thing! When we talk about one being better than the other, that does not necessarily mean we're calling the other trash. It may work well enough. But, there are certain brands that may work fine at the range under average shooting conditions, but I wouldn't seek one out to use for work or self defense. So, I'm not calling them absolute trash and I'm not saying they'll fail in the first week.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the input. I will most likely pass on the
    Del-Ton for now and save my pennies. I think I want a mid length quick is why I haven't considered the Colt. I would like to go with Spikes but who knows when they will catch up with backorders.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Loveeeeeeee my spikes! Super quality worth a wait

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will most likely pass on the
    Del-Ton for now and save my pennies. I think I want a mid length quick is why I haven't considered the Colt. I would like to go with Spikes but who knows when they will catch up with backorders.
    Pick up a Bravo Co upper. Grant at G&R Tactical has some 16" mid lengths in stock, if I'm not mistaken. For a 16", I'll take a BCM over just about anything. Next up would be a Centurion Arms. For a 14.5" or other carbine gas system, I go Colt. I also go Colt for BCG's and lower parts kits.

Or spikes.......

Sent from my DROID RAZR

There is always Palmetto State Armory. There was an issue with them sending out rifles with the wrong gas tube on a handfull of rifles, but they made good on it. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and I am looking at them for an M16A4ish rifle I want to build.

VIP Member
    As far as the M&P goes, they are quite nice. They are not all MilSpec but I've never heard anyone who owned one complain about them.

I have two Bravo Company ARs as well and I still love my M&P. It's a real shooter. But then again, so are the BCMs.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

RKM
    The M&P15's are far better than Del-ton's. I admittedly over paid for my M&P15 before I knew any better. I paid $1000 for my M&P15X which came with a Troy quad rail and Troy folding rear sight. Actually, for the model I bought, the price of $1000 wasn't too bad. At the time, I couldn't find Colt's in stores any cheaper than $1200. Now it seems the exact opposite. I'm seeing basic, bare bones M&P15's going for $1000 while we're seeing Colts drop below $1000.

Either way, M&P's win over the Del-Ton. If you can find an M&P15 for a decent price, they're a great affordable rifle with acceptable quality.

My last build I used a Del-ton barrel because is was the configuration I wanted.

Links