REVIEW: The Colt LE6940P AR-15>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on REVIEW: The Colt LE6940P AR-15>>>>>>> within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Colt has just started releasing their new piston driven AR-15 - the Colt LE6940P. I lucked into one in March, and decided to do a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rolex_John
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 1 Post By OPFOR

Thread: REVIEW: The Colt LE6940P AR-15>>>>>>>

REVIEW: The Colt LE6940P AR-15>>>>>>>

Colt has just started releasing their new piston driven AR-15 - the Colt LE6940P. I lucked into one in March, and decided to do a photo review on the rifle:

Review of the Colt LE6940P on ThruMyLens

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

-John
    Timothy90 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice review and (as should be expected, I guess) great pics. I am not sold on the concept of a piston AR being any better than a DI one, but I do appreciate a gun that works, and Colts do seem to work.

Thanks for the write up.
    Guest1 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Hello and welcome from Florida.

Good write-up, nice review.
    Having just purchased my first AR last Saturday, 4/28.
    A Colt LE6920, I found the accuracy outstanding, it's more accurate than I am, and mine has factory iron sights.
    I consider myself a fair rifleman, surely not an expert. I was laying down 5-shot groups you could cover with a golf ball from 100 yds.

As you stated in your review, about the difference between piston and direct impingement, I was a little surprised by the extreme amount of "dirt" on and around the bolt carrier assembly after just 150 rounds.

All in all I'm very pleased with mine, if you're just half as happy with yours...you're a happy man.

A question for "Opfor"...as I understand it, the main attraction to a piston rifle is if you plan to suppress it?
    Is that correct?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Hello and welcome from Florida.

Good write-up, nice review.
    Having just purchased my first AR last Saturday, 4/28.
    I was just taking a look at your thread - congrats. I used to live in Tampa - did my grad work at USF.

A Colt LE6920, I found the accuracy outstanding, it's more accurate than I am, and mine is with factory iron sights.
    I consider myself a fair rifleman, surely not an expert. I was laying down 5-shot groups you could cover with a golf ball from 100 yds.
    I've only been shooting rifles for a couple of years. So I'm not in your league....you'd need a softball to cover my 100 yard group.

All in all I'm very pleased with mine, if you're just half as happy with yours...you're a happy man.
    Oh I'm extremely happy - I've got much more practicing to do and want to get much better with it. I'm signed up for three different tactical rifle courses this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Nice review and (as should be expected, I guess) great pics. I am not sold on the concept of a piston AR being any better than a DI one, but I do appreciate a gun that works, and Colts do seem to work.

Thanks for the write up.
    I'm not sure I'd call a piston AR any better either....just different pros and cons to each I suppose.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolex_John View Post
    I was just taking a look at your thread - congrats. I used to live in Tampa - did my grad work at USF.
    That's funny...you're in Dayton, I went to high school in Franklin, about 20 miles south of Dayton.
    I grew up in Tennessee, my family moved to Ohio when I was 14...I never cared much for Ohio...sorry.

I've only been shooting rifles for a couple of years. So I'm not in your league....you'd need a softball to cover my 100 yard group.
    I was using a rest...don't think for a minute that I could do that off-hand.

Oh I'm extremely happy - I've got much more practicing to do and want to get much better with it. I'm signed up for three different tactical rifle courses this year.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Suppressors compound the "dirty" factor of DI systems, yes, so if you are going to be shooting suppressed a lot, then a piston MAY make more sense. Additionally, some rifles allow you to regulate, or even shut off, the gas system.

And OP, I wasn't suggesting that YOU were suggesting that they were "better," I was simply adding my very unsolicited opinion. :)

ETA: I don't think that the majority of folks who buy piston rifles have as their MAIN focus suppressing them. I think they have lots of reasons, not the least of which can be the simple desire for something "new" and different. We all like to express individuality in different ways. Again, not a reason that I personally would stray from the "norm" in this particular case, but there it is.
    Stubborn likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    That's funny...you're in Dayton, I went to high school in Franklin, about 20 miles south of Dayton.
    I grew up in Tennessee, my family moved to Ohio when I was 14...I never cared much for Ohio...sorry.
    Small world. I can't say that I blame you. I'd much prefer to be back in the Tampa-St. Pete area, though the Dayton area has its pluses too....can't say I miss rush hour on the Howard-Franklin. I will say Dayton has much more to offer than Franklin. I'd go nuts in Franklin.

I was using a rest...don't think for a minute that I could do that off-hand.
    Yeah well....I was using a bipod...definitely room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

ETA: I don't think that the majority of folks who buy piston rifles have as their MAIN focus suppressing them. I think they have lots of reasons, not the least of which can be the simple desire for something "new" and different. We all like to express individuality in different ways. Again, not a reason that I personally would stray from the "norm" in this particular case, but there it is.
    I agree. One of the reasons I bought a piston gun was flexibility. There are things that I might want to do down the road (adding a suppressor, adding a bump stock...) which in theory work more optimally on a piston gun than a DI gun.

Links