AR-15 Do I need one - Page 3

AR-15 Do I need one

This is a discussion on AR-15 Do I need one within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, but you may need a lever gun or two..........

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: AR-15 Do I need one

No, but you may need a lever gun or two.......
    10thmtn likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I don't guess I needed one either, but about a week ago I purchased one. Why? I'm 55 years old, had heart bypass surgery when I was 45, only a few more years till retirement if the Good Lord allows and now I have another gun to leave to one of the grand boys.
    SCGunLover1

I think you have the "need" confused with the "want" one and not concealing very well the fact that you really do want one, but you are looking for any type of justification to get an AR-15.

I don't really "need" one but I sure would like to have one, just because. I don't "need" the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 I bought, but I have one. I don't need the 7x57 Spanish sport Mauser either, but I still keep it, even put a new bolt in the thing when the firing pin on the original bolt broke and could not find a replacement. Any one of those two rifles could serve a great self defense purpose if need be. I also want an AK, M1 Garand and a real US M1 Carbine instead of the knock off version with the broken extractor that I have.

Get the AR. You know you "want" one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I did not need a wife, I did not need a Harley I did not need any of the guns I own.
    I could have lived alone,I could have passed on all the fun I have riding, I could live my life as a easy target.
    But why, My Wife is great, She loves the Harleys , and anyone breaking in here is not going to make it out.

Sponsor
    No, you do not need an "AR". However, every member of your family that is physically capable should have a pistol, shotgun, rifle/carbine and be at least familiar enough with them to load and care for them. Preferably, they should all have enough training to be decent "combat" shots.

Our last Christmas was spent at the range. At the request of my youngest Daughter.

AR, AK, bolt gun, lever action... take your pick.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

OP, since you are looking for justification, here's are some:

1. Easier to hit your target with a rifle than a handgun. Remember, a home intruder isn't going to make like a silhouette target to make your life easier.
    2. .223/5.56 will put the intruder down more readily than any handgun caliber round
    3. If you miss, .223/5.56 will penetrate fewer walls and be less deadly to anyone behind those walls than handgun caliber rounds (or 00 buckshot). So you should explain to your wife that the rifle is better for her and the kids. And that's what this purchase is about - their safety!

As for having kids in the house, keep the rifle in a safe during the day, and leave it by your bed at night in cruiser ready mode (empty chamber, hammer down). Or keep it out and put a lock on the trigger guard.

I have a number of rifles and the AR 15 isn't near the top of the list of favorites but it is fun and useful as well as a good study of the design for someone interested in such things. The cartridge is interesting to handload.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Of course Silly!!

I am going to pull the trigger on the AR
    atctimmy and JoJoGunn like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    We knew you would. :)

VIP Member
    good call!

sgb
    Excellent decision.

Both the Colt and S&W below are excellent choices.

7140327213_1b4f8e9702.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yes you need one......or logout of this forum forever :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Good call on pulling the trigger. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it. The guy I used to buy stereo gear from once told me that its only expensive when you first buy it. He said after you have owned it for years, you don't sit and dwell on how much you paid for it, etc. He has a point.

Now you've cleared the hurdle of making the decision to get one, now you can get started on the planning! Yes, it is a disease.

You'll be glad you decided to get one. Having it will open up your SD capability/options. As one poster mentioned, Katrina was an example of social collapse and temporary anarchy. I'm setting up a new AR with an Eotech on a QD mount and a Leupold scope on a Bobro QD mount to cover from CQB to 300meter ranges. Sure, it costs money but do it in increments if you can't buy everything at once. Shoot it not only at the range, but out in the woods so you can learn to handle it and make it become a part of you. The ergonomics are excellent and better than an AK47's. Just for fun, I got pretty good at hip shooting an AR at one time. The S&W M&P15 line has an affordable basic model if your budget is limited or you don't want to have a lot of money sitting around if you won't shoot it much.

One thing about ARs is that you never know when new laws similar to the now expired 1994 ban will be passed again. Then two things will happen, you can't get what you can buy today and the prices of the grandfathered ones will hit the ceiling. So call it an investment. I bought a used Colt AR-15 SP1 (3 prong flash suppressor, triangle forearm) around 1982 for $399. Interesting history was that it was from a liquidation of guard rifles from Los Alamos. To buy that same rifle today would be at least double that or more. Like an idiot, I sold it awhile back. Go to ar15.com or m4carbine.net for AR discussions.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links