AR-15 Do I need one

This is a discussion on AR-15 Do I need one within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now, pool up some more money, buy some ammo, and sign up for an entry level class (Appleseed), and then an advanced class with a ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: AR-15 Do I need one

Now, pool up some more money, buy some ammo, and sign up for an entry level class (Appleseed), and then an advanced class with a reputable instructor. AVOID high round count classes. Anything more than 700 rounds in 1 day, and you are wasting ammo, and creating bad training scars.

Yeah, you will double your expense of the rifle, but absolutely the best money you will spend.

Appleseed - http://appleseedinfo.org/search-stat...tename=Florida

Advanced - http://store.greygrouptraining.com/2...INE-37871.html
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I didn't need an AR-15, I needed two apparently...and an AK-47, and a AR-10 and a 10/22 and a GSG-522.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

"AR15, do I need one" I said the same thing to myself too.. The answer was not really, but after picking one up and getting to the range with it, I"m sure glad that I did.IMO, these are badass rifles and a blast to shoot! I added a couple of extra 30 round mags to go with mine and all I can say is, I pity the fool that breaks down my door in the middle of he night. Chances of me being out gunned are slim to none.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I actually think you DO need one. I just bought my first one this week, however I've had handguns for several years...specifically, since Katrina. I didn't live in NOLA, but I lived in Houston...about 2 miles from where everyone was being housed. It's a bad part of town, but only about a mile from the medical center and I was there doing my post residency fellowship. Because so many doctors live near the med center, there are several very nice apartment/condo complexes nearby. We had to have 24 hour armed security because of all the teenagers/younger people who spent their days roaming the streets and stealing whatever they could, whenever they had the chance. There is no excuse for stealing, but they were all very angry and who could blame them. It was a very scary situation and that's when I bought my first handgun.

Even as scary...maybe scarier were the last days leading up to Katrina, when everyone thought it would hit Houston. I was flying out, but stayed at the hospital as long as I could to help the "ride out team" get ready. A friend called and said, "don't bother driving to the airport, apparently, hundreds of people decided to go there in the hopes of getting a flight out of town and all of the parking facilities are full and have been closed. You'll have to get a cab." Little did I know, but all the cabbies had already left too!!! Not a single company was answering their phone. Fortunately, our hospital had/has a very nice hotel connected to it and because so many patients stay there, they always have lots of cabs around. Well, I called them and got the VERY LAST cab!!!!! I never went home to get my stuff. I just left my car in the hospital parking garage and ran to the hotel to get the cab. The cabbie told me it was his last run then he was leaving town. Riding to the airport was eerie. It was like Houston was completely deserted! I didn't see a single car on the highway because everyone had already left. As we all now know, most of those who tried to leave, ended up sitting in traffic a few miles outside of town, going no where fast. From what I heard, things for those stuck on the highways got pretty nasty. People who left without supplies were begging for water and foot. Those who were supplied, didn't want to share, because no one knew how long they'd be stuck on the highway. Situations like that bring out the best and worst in people. Anyway, I finally got to the airport and barely made my flight, but I'll never forget the desperation of those trying to get a flight out...it was awful to watch. Many were offering people lots of money for their tickets...didn't matter where...they just wanted to get out of town. NO ONE was selling!!!!

My point of all this is, when you've lived through something like that (I can't even imagine how awful it was for those in NOLA), it changes you. You realize the importance of being able to protect yourself and your loved ones, not to mention being prepared for ANYTHING. Don't get me wrong, I haven't turned into a survivalist or anything, but I now have several pistols and revolvers as well as a shotgun and now an AR15. You can NEVER be too protected.
    Last edited by dnilson; May 4th, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
    sgb, atctimmy and beararms like this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

LOL!!! No you didn't NEED one you just wanted the forum to make you WANT one bad enough that you FELT you needed one....

It's going to be one of my next purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Do I actually need an AR-15. I am trying to justify buying one but I can't see me using it other than going to the range. And if I am only going to the range with it and I don't carry it with me everyday I cannot see the need. I can see the fun and want to have it. Some say home defense but I have kids and cannot leave a weapon like that laying around. I could put it in a safe but how long will it take me to open that before a threat gets to me. I have a gunvault that I use for my Pistols which is on my night stand which work well. Is it wrong only to have pistol and no long guns. I guess I just don't see the need for me personally. Thoughts?

Just to be clear I am not saying people should not be able to own what ever gun they want.

I guess I am saying I just want to devote my time and money to my pistols because those are the most likely to be the ones I need and I do carry everyday obviously.
    Do you actually need one? Probably not.
    Keywords are "I guess", and "just to be clear".
    but I can't see me using it
    Nope....you need to stick with something you're sure of. You answered your own question here. Stick to your pistols.

Re: kids - Why would the AR be a bigger problem than the handguns? You could lock it up in the morning and get it out when you retire.
    Better to perish in the fight for freedom than live to see defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
    LOL!!! No you didn't NEED one you just wanted the forum to make you WANT one bad enough that you FELT you needed one....
    Hmmm... Looks like he had a pretty good plan!
    ToddR likes this.

I don't need one right this minute.

Will I need one tomorrow, next week or next year? Don't know.

That's why I've got one.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I believe everyone able needs to keep at least one detachable magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle in an intermediate caliber for a "just in case" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    I don't need one right this minute.

Will I need one tomorrow, next week or next year? Don't know.

That's why I've got one.
    I couldn't agree more!!!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

Yeah, my wife said she didn't need one either, until she started shooting one. Now she has her own and loves it.

I am thinking of a Daniel defense AR anyone have one.

VIP Member
    DDs are very nice but they are pricey.

I have a suggestion for you and I cannot emphasize in print how strongly I feel about it.

I suggest a Colt 6920 from CDNN for right around $1100. If you can find a better AR at a better price then you are really lucky.

Get a Colt 6920 and don't look back.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Sponsor
    Yep,
    DD light weight barrel/upper, Troy TRX fore end, Aimpoint Comp M3, PA 3x magnifier and DD lower with G&R lower parts kit. I put a MagPul UBR but stock on it as I felt like it brought the balance back closer to my body. I might not do that again though as the extra weight negates the good balance.

I put together the highest quality parts that I could afford at the time. It's probably over kill for my needs as I don't compete or train hard with it, but I will not have to worry about it if I ever really need it.

Right around 6 thousand rounds and no problems at all.

I recommend lurking and learning at m4carbine.net. Some of the personalities there are a bit over the top and you may get told to shut up and listen if you post what someone might consider a stupid question, but if you can deal with a few elitists and have a thick enough skin, the level of first hand experience and knowledge of the ARs there is far above any other site.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links