AR-15 Do I need one - Page 5

AR-15 Do I need one

This is a discussion on AR-15 Do I need one within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; atctimmy isn't leading you wrong but... Colt 6920MP (magpul furniture) $1080.00...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: AR-15 Do I need one

Sponsor
    atctimmy isn't leading you wrong but...Colt 6920MP (magpul furniture) $1080.00
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

If you get a Colt AR, make sure the pins are all milspec (hammer, trigger, retaining pins). Depends on date of manufacture. You want milspec pins so you can interchange with common parts.

My preference for a factory Colt is the 6721 with a heavy barrel. Here is a link to a thread Colt 6920 vs 6721 - M4Carbine.net Forums

There are also piston type AR's (vs. original direct impingement). For your purposes, a DI rifle is fine. I have always had DI rifles but getting a piston PWS soon. I drool over the HK MR556 but it's a little too rich for my blood.

But get one soon (or two ). If there is a re-election in November, there will probably be another shortage of ARs and ammo (and inflated prices). I was glad I already had a couple (and ammo) after seeing what was going on a couple of years ago. There was a period where not much was available or expensive. It's a good time right now but not sure what will happen with demand when November gets closer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    atctimmy isn't leading you wrong but...Colt 6920MP (magpul furniture) $1080.00
    I love the Mag Pul furniture and i can't belive they are in stock. OP jump on this link!
    DefConGun likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Picked up the s&w m&p 15 sport nothing fancy but I think it will suit my needs
    ToddR and gottabkiddin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Not a bad way to start at all. There are many that drop some major bucks on an AR which there is nothing wrong with that either. I started out with the DPMS Oracle. Some day, I might drop the bigger bucks on one, but I will be much more knowledgeable after spending time with the Oracle. For now, it does just fine. The Sport was another option I looked at.

Good choice with the sport, if I had to buy one that would be the one I purchased.

I was in the EXACT same situation as you, AKA: Young child, no where to store a loaded long gun...I use a GunVault for my CCW when I sleep and keep one Ruger 10/22 rifle unloaded, bolt locked back, safety on, no magazine, cased, and all ammunition locked in MTM cases in a closet. I just don't have the space in my home for a long gun ready access safe or regular safe.

I also have a small home so I couldn't see myself using a rifle to clear it but I bought a Saiga in 5.45x39

It was a great rifle but unfortunately like you had mentioned, all it did was sit in the closet locked up with no ammunition readily even loaded into magazines. The only time it was even ready to fire was at the range.

I sold it and Bought a Glock G21 SF .45 ACP with the money to put in my GunVault for ready access. It will ALWAYS be ready to rock and roll

If the cost is prohibitive and you just want something long that you can attach lots of stuff to then try one of the carbines in a pistol caliber. They start at under $300 new, have 16 inch barrels and picitinny rails. With a 9mm or 40 cal you can shoot fairly well at out to 100 yards although you won't have much stank left on the bullet.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Fantastic. I was tempted to get one once as the price was nice. Good choice for your (first) AR. What's the next one going to be??

Stock up on ammo and good mags (i.e. pmags). I like to have some 20rd mags too. They're compact and useful for bench shooting at the range or prone shooting. Then maybe optics. Also get a spare parts kit that includes the small parts prone to breakage or wear (esp. extra gas rings). I'd also keep a spare gas tube (of the correct length) and roll pin too.

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Fantastic. I was tempted to get one once as the price was nice. Good choice for your (first) AR. What's the next one going to be??Stock up on ammo and good mags (i.e. pmags). I like to have some 20rd mags too. They're compact and useful for bench shooting at the range or prone shooting. Then maybe optics. Also get a spare parts kit that includes the small parts prone to breakage or wear (esp. extra gas rings). I'd also keep a spare gas tube (of the correct length) and roll pin too.

Great information! I just picked up the same AR myself a week ago. I like the idea of having the extra parts on hand should something go down. Also, the twenty round mag will come in handy at the range as you stated. The thirty rounders do make it difficult to use on the bench. Thanks for the tips.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Great information! I just picked up the same AR myself a week ago. I like the idea of having the extra parts on hand should something go down. Also, the twenty round mag will come in handy at the range as you stated. The thirty rounders do make it difficult to use on the bench. Thanks for the tips.
    The 30 round mag becomes your monopod. I prefer a bipod myself, but after a couple of training classes, I can shoot a NRA 100y rifle qual. target with a 98 score off the mag.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Did I need an AR-15? No
    Did I want an AR-15? Yup
    Did I buy and AR-15? Yup.
    I bought a Bushmaster XM15 E2S for 700$ is plain Jane, but it does what I need I can trick it out later if I want.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Not wanting to hijack thread BUT what do folks know and think about Knight's Armament Company. The Stoner SR15 ?? Thanks
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - I think your thinking is correct. IMHO you prepare for the closest and most likely threats, and then work outward:

Priority 1 - concealed carry handgun; can also be used for home defense

Next - another handgun to back up the primary

Once that is settled, next is a home defense long gun. Do you NEED one? No. But a long gun is MUCH more effective at stopping someone quickly than a handgun is. Once your family is safely inside your designated safe room, a long gun is good to have to cover the door. Your spouse can cover the door with the handgun while you open the safe to get the long gun.

In our home, we have a Gunvault next to the bed for the handguns (we have kids too), and a larger safe in the corner for the long guns. My "cover the door" gun is a Remington 870 pump shotgun in 12 gauge.

Last priority is a rifle or carbine. In a temporary breakdown of law and order, you may need to defend yourself at longer range, outside your home. The probability of needing to do this, however, is rather low. That said, it has happened - Hurricane Andrew (I was there), Katrina, various riots, etc.

If you want a good fighting rifle that will not break the bank, consider a lever gun. Add an elastic butt cuff for extra ammo, and you are all set for anything short of all-out war. And, I'd rather shoot a .30-30 170 gr JSP than anything in .223 or 5.56.
    I kidda agree with 10thmtn, I just sold an M1a socom I bought a couple years ago, something I really wanted for a longtime, however it rarely got shot, one because of a lack of places to shoot, two because I use my handguns more, and three because of ammo costs. I have a Winchester Marine Defender 12ga. pump that belong to my Dad's,which is my "katie bar the door" long gun. In addition to the shotgun I also have a Ruger PC4 carbine in .40 S&W (also belonged to my Dad) which is really fun to shoot, and cost less then the M1A to feed. My "rifles" if ever needed are a Sears model 54 lever gun in .30-.30 (really a winchester model 94--was my Uncle's) and my Dad's BAR safari in .270 win.. I am however intrigued with AR's I just don't see me getting one anytime soon.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    If you get a Colt AR, make sure the pins are all milspec (hammer, trigger, retaining pins). Depends on date of manufacture. You want milspec pins so you can interchange with common parts.

My preference for a factory Colt is the 6721 with a heavy barrel. Here is a link to a thread Colt 6920 vs 6721 - M4Carbine.net Forums

There are also piston type AR's (vs. original direct impingement). For your purposes, a DI rifle is fine. I have always had DI rifles but getting a piston PWS soon. I drool over the HK MR556 but it's a little too rich for my blood.

But get one soon (or two ). If there is a re-election in November, there will probably be another shortage of ARs and ammo (and inflated prices). I was glad I already had a couple (and ammo) after seeing what was going on a couple of years ago. There was a period where not much was available or expensive. It's a good time right now but not sure what will happen with demand when November gets closer.
    Around here, ARs are ALREADY expensive and in short supply. Prices are at or above MSRP. Ammo is still easy to find and pretty reasonably priced, but with ARs flying off the shelves, that probably won't last for long!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack thread BUT what do folks know and think about Knight's Armament Company. The Stoner SR15 ?? Thanks
    KAC is one of the very top tier manufacturers. They make outstanding products. Are they worth the premium price? Only you as the buyer can decide that - I believe that you can find equivalent quality for less money, personally - but if you have a hankering for a very high end AR and you want that KAC marking, go for it. They are excellent products, in my experience.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links