AR-15 Do I need one

This is a discussion on AR-15 Do I need one within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An AR15 is like a Chevrolet and Apple Pie; American as you can get. An AR should be in every Shooter's collection, just like every ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: AR-15 Do I need one

An AR15 is like a Chevrolet and Apple Pie; American as you can get. An AR should be in every Shooter's collection, just like every shooter should own at least one Colt SAA and at least one Winchester 94. Just my thoughts

Safe shooting,
    Vv

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    An AR15 is like a Chevrolet and Apple Pie; American as you can get.
    Working on your own muscle car (like a Chevy) is part of being a red-blooded American. I'd like to say it is similar with the AR-15. Anyone that is good at working on their own car can build and customize an AR-15. I've built a couple before and it's quite satisfying for any enthusiast. Aside from all the parts, just need an armorers manual, good bench vise, the necessary barrel and receiver vise blocks, AR-15 armorer & stock spanner wrench, torque wrench, punch set, and go/no-go gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post

But get one soon (or two ). If there is a re-election in November, there will probably be another shortage of ARs and ammo (and inflated prices). I was glad I already had a couple (and ammo) after seeing what was going on a couple of years ago. There was a period where not much was available or expensive. It's a good time right now but not sure what will happen with demand when November gets closer.
    I'm more concerned about these rifles becoming heavily regulated next or even banned...spikes tactical AR is the next on my list in the next few months. I'll be damned if I miss out on owning an AR, then an AK shortly after...

Get it, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I kidda agree with 10thmtn, I just sold an M1a socom I bought a couple years ago, something I really wanted for a longtime, however it rarely got shot, one because of a lack of places to shoot, two because I use my handguns more, and three because of ammo costs. I have a Winchester Marine Defender 12ga. pump that belong to my Dad's,which is my "katie bar the door" long gun. In addition to the shotgun I also have a Ruger PC4 carbine in .40 S&W (also belonged to my Dad) which is really fun to shoot, and cost less then the M1A to feed. My "rifles" if ever needed are a Sears model 54 lever gun in .30-.30 (really a winchester model 94--was my Uncle's) and my Dad's BAR safari in .270 win.. I am however intrigued with AR's I just don't see me getting one anytime soon.
    Want to talk you into getting one of those lower cost AR's (like S&W M&P Sport) with a few pmags/ammo. Sounds like you can afford it. The availability of these rifles is very subject to political agendas. If you got the money, get one now and you can always sell it later as they will always be in demand, especially if a new law like the 1994 ban (expired) was passed.

Another, although rare scenario, is collapse of law enforcement in an urban environment (i.e. disaster like Katrina, riot) which will present CQB encounters with multiple looters. Good chance some will be armed and maybe even with stolen rifles/shotguns. The BAR (4rd mag) is great if you can keep the BGs 200 to 300yds away but if you live in a large city, that is probably an unlikely scenario. Also, kind of hard to legally justify shooting people at 200yds away in the city without an imminent threat. For ranges of 150yds and in, a lightweight AR15 with good optics fits that type of situation well. In regards to an M1A for CQB, I used to have HK91s in .308 and the rifle and ammo weigh a lot (.308 ammo weighs twice as much as .223). Great power/penetration but for CQB ranges a controllable fast firing AR with twice as many rounds is something to consider having to better your odds. In an SD scenario, I'd always switch from a handgun to an AR if given the opportunity so I kind of changed my guns so that it is not skewed too far towards handguns.

If anything, consider it an investment. Kind of like buying gold. I don't think there would be a law to ban hunting rifles like the BAR or Remington 7400.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links