AR-15 Do I need one

This is a discussion on AR-15 Do I need one within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do I actually need an AR-15. I am trying to justify buying one but I can't see me using it other than going to the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: AR-15 Do I need one

AR-15 Do I need one

Do I actually need an AR-15. I am trying to justify buying one but I can't see me using it other than going to the range. And if I am only going to the range with it and I don't carry it with me everyday I cannot see the need. I can see the fun and want to have it. Some say home defense but I have kids and cannot leave a weapon like that laying around. I could put it in a safe but how long will it take me to open that before a threat gets to me. I have a gunvault that I use for my Pistols which is on my night stand which work well. Is it wrong only to have pistol and no long guns. I guess I just don't see the need for me personally. Thoughts?

Just to be clear I am not saying people should not be able to own what ever gun they want.

I guess I am saying I just want to devote my time and money to my pistols because those are the most likely to be the ones I need and I do carry everyday obviously.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    No. But you definitely need an AK-47. Same capacity magazines, little heavier, harder hitting rounds, makes a better noise when it goes bang, and less expensive.

Also, I believe they're easier to maintain. And prettier...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Well I have no real need for the AR-15s, Mini-14, Garands or M-1 Carbine that I own among others but they are fun to shoot and a pleasure to own. Oh and I have many other handguns besides the ones I use for EDC.
    Stubborn, bmcgilvray and shooterX like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Once you get past justifying gun purchases based on 'need', and just start buying what you want, it gets a lot easier.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Yes you do! and ......
    an AK and....
    a shotgun and...
    a Galil and....
    an Uzi and....
    an M14 and.....
    a SCAR and.........................................
    pacman and ToddR like this.

VIP Member
    No one "needs" one particular brand/make of firearm over another, when we get right down to it. But the AR is pretty hard to beat as a fun, practical, easy, all-around rifle. Outside of combat, I have never had to use an AR for anything other than plinking and training, and I would still consider the money that I've spent on them money well spent indeed.
    ToddR likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    You don't need one but I am not your wife or mother so if you want one go and get one.

VIP Member
    I don't know if you need an AR, BUT I think that every home needs some sort of long gun. A shotgun, AR, AK, SKS or some other type of long gun is a must if you want to have a do it all battery.

If the cost of the AR is prohibitive then I suggest an SKS or a shotgun.
    gasmitty, ErnieNWillis and mano3 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

No, you don't.

Neither did I, but I bought one - and didn't understand why until I got to the range and fired it... then it all came together, what a sweet gun to have in the collection, such a joy to shoot and looks incredible both in my safe and in my hands at the range, not to mention a great conversation piece.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I didn't need one either so instead I bought an M1A to be different. Sure am having fun with it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I don't need one, but that didn't stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    I Do actually need an AR-15.
    You transposed a couple words. I took the liberty of fixing it.

Zombies...........that are 100 yards out and hungry for your brains. Oh and they are the fast kind from the Dawn of the Dead Remake.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Zombies...........that are 100 yards out and hungry for your brains. Oh and they are the fast kind from the Dawn of the Dead Remake.
    Then you need a .22, lightly magnified scope, and a couple 100rnd mags. Or maybe a few; one for you, one for the missus, and maybe one for the kid (8 years+). As well as a good vantage point from the roof.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

You will find every avid gun owner has many guns they do not need. As said above it is a matter of WANT! I want an AR and thus I will have one... just waiting for the right moment to sneak one into the house! as it is I bought a new Ruger LCP today that the wife is going to flip over when she finds out! Actually ordered flowers to be delivered to soften the blow!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links