Effective range of 12ga 00 Buck from 26" cylinder choke?

This is a discussion on Effective range of 12ga 00 Buck from 26" cylinder choke? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious about the effective range of a Mossberg 500 26" using Winchester Ranger 00 Buck 9 pellet. New to shotties, just curious :)...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hardluk1

Thread: Effective range of 12ga 00 Buck from 26" cylinder choke?

Effective range of 12ga 00 Buck from 26" cylinder choke?

Just curious about the effective range of a Mossberg 500 26" using Winchester Ranger 00 Buck 9 pellet.

New to shotties, just curious :)

2. Remove Ads

Effective range for what? How far you can hit a man size target? Max range the spread will keep all pellets within a man sized target? How far the pellets will go if you fire it at a 45 degree angle?

Your max range is going to depend on what your intentions are.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    All depends on the buckshot you try. Control wad loads shoot fairly tight patterns at 25 yards. Old school buck will spread out clomeing from a cylinder bore tube some more than others . Try 0 buck, 000 bucks and 1 buck and get some very different patterns. ALL trial and error.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Take your shotgun and some buckshot to the range, find out and post the results.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You very, very, very much need to pattern your own shotgun. That said, you can predict that you'll 'probably' get 'a hit' at 50 meters. Your ability to shoot straight will matter more than the spread
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I guess I need to clarify. Effective range for man-sized hits, using titewad tech from federal

It's going to be different for each gun, you need to pattern it and see what works for your combination of gun and ammo. Start at 3 yards and work your way out, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 yards and so forth... Figure out what percentage of pellets remain in the target. A paper plate is a pretty good representation of a man sized target. Once you start to lose your pattern due to spread you will have a effective range.

Just because you CAN make hits on a man sized target at 100 yards with 00 Buck, dosen't mean you SHOULD, it's not effective use of the weapon system.

Sent from this... Using that...

What # of COM pellets would people consider 'acceptable'?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Using a 590 with Federal LE133 I can call my shots within 12" or so (automotive wheel, gas cap, taillight, door latch area, etc) at 150 yards with about an 8' holdover. It was just "plinking" though, I would never consider using a shotgun over 50-75 yards against a threat (other than suppressive fire).

Take some cardboard out, to the "range"....dont test your patterns on old junk cars, they will burn, do however try some #4 buck...my choice...varmits 2, 4 legs, wings...#4 lays down on a parabolic shot at distance in a line about 1.5 meter wide, 6 meters long...should you consider a 100-200 yrd shot on a varmit... just sayn

The absolute tightest groups with any buckshot load I have tested to date is the Federal 00 with their Flitecontrol Wad. Out of virtually all of my 12 gauges (even with cylinder chokes), all 9 pellets can typically be placed on a B-27 at 40 yards. For me anyway, point of impact is typically about 12 to 18" higher than point of aim.

The only way to know for sure with any shotgun, choke or load combination is .... shoot 'em!
    www.dentoncountysports.com
    A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency

Gotta pattern your own gun + loads.

JMO, effective distance -> once you get past across a typical room, how far away would you count on maybe 3 pellets penetrating to hit the vitals considering the following:
    00 buck pellet - 53gr @ 1200 fps
    .32 ACP - 65 gr @ 925 fps
    .380 ACP - 90 gr @ 1000 fps
    -> the 00 pellet will have, roughly, 1/2 the energy of the 380 ACP and unless you use copper plated shot, the pellet will be deformed.

VIP Member
    Ummmmm.....wow guys you must have some really wicked shotguns if you are getting hits with buckshot at some of those ranges.

The "general" rule of thumb for shotgun pellets is 1" of spread per yard of distance to the target. So at 24 yards you will have a 24" pattern of course barrel length, choke tubes and type of shot will contribute to this.

As has been stated you need to pattern your own shotgun to see what it will do. I do not trust buckshot of any kind past 25 yards at that point you are getting a pattern that is on the verge of being wider than the human body and since you have to account for all those pellets and what they hit I would rather not take that chance.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links