At the risk of sounding ignorant...

This is a discussion on At the risk of sounding ignorant... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...is there a sort of "Rifle 101" page/thread/site anybody knows about? Or can anyone give me a brief overview? I'm thinking about designating my next-gun-fund ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: At the risk of sounding ignorant...

...is there a sort of "Rifle 101" page/thread/site anybody knows about? Or can anyone give me a brief overview? I'm thinking about designating my next-gun-fund to a tactical rifle, but all the Ms and ARs and AKs and numbers make my head spin.

I've grown up around shotguns and feel like I'm pretty well-read on handguns after entering the world of CCW. I've had the opportunity to shoot with a good friend of mine who has a pretty decent collection of rifles, but other than the AK in my avatar, most of them are WWII guns and collector's items.

So.......are you hitting your target with that AK?
    Risk? Life is full of risks. Once you ask, you should never feel ignorant again.
    What is your idea of "tactical"? Is that something you need at this point, or looking to the future? You want double duty tactical/hunting-survival? Or just mow the zombies down? I think that all gun funds start with ammo actually. If you've got 500rds of ammo, you'll need a gun to go with it. LOL! Stick around.

Well OBVIOUSLY it needs to be able to hold its own when it comes time for me to take down some zombies.

Honestly, whatever I get will be mostly a have-fun range gun. I'm not necessarily looking at what to get at the moment, I just want to educate myself on the actual mechanical differences between them and how they work, ammo differences, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I'm just having a hard time finding something straightforward. This is about the best I've been able to find.
    oldnfat likes this.

What do you mean by tactical? Short quick firing rifle handy for clearing rooms in a house? Or, a rifle capable of picking off zombies at long range? Two different animals.

Michael

Yeah...unfortunately there are not many "rifle 101" manuals out there because the rifle is so diverse with application. You didn't answer my question about how you do with that AK. I'm guessing it's the question answered with a question at this point. Thing is....if you're used to it, then stick with it. I personally like the AK47 for many reasons. I'd sell my AR15 before I would my AK. I'd rather have the AK out in the wild and far away from home on the run for both hunting and fending off the vermin. It's more easily maintained (when you need to). When it's time to actually BUG out, most of us that have many will be choosing the few in a matter of minutes. I don't care how much the ammo weighs....I'll carry more of it than I will food because I can live off the land. Straight-forward isn't always a narrow road without intersections. Quality AKs can't be found at good prices anymore. The good ones are long gone, the newly manufactured are unaffordable, so you'll be settling for little at a high price. Folks kid themselves these days, and vendors advertise their wares suspiciously. You can never get today what you should have got yesterday. The younger crowd just doesn't understand now. They want the best when the best has long been gone. Price of actually getting a best is far beyond reach for most at auction. What you can exist and get by with however is up to each and everyone's particular interests. I never have invested in firearms for monetary gain. Many times it has worked out to my benefit, but after 20+ years involved in the trade and self preservation......I know I'm at the best place I can be at the time and cover the most bases.
    If you want to hold your own, quit looking for a rifle that will hold it's own. A rifle that can hold it's own will never happen without you. You and rifle are team. Don't pursue something you cannot sensibly obtain. Know your limits but never limit yourself.
    Besides...this is an election year (again)....so this is no time to be thinking about long term funds. If you see a good deal grab it.

I did miss that question! And the answer is... I didn't hit as much with the AK as I'd like to have! I only shot it a handful of times though. I hit much more (and so spent much more time with) his little M1 Carbine, which I LOVED.

After a little more research I've discovered that AR actually just stands for it's original design manufacturer, Armalite, and is essentially the same thing as an M16, which replaced the M14, and has different variants, the M16A3 being the fully automatic version of the M16A2, which is basically a longer version of the M4... How do you guys keep all this straight!?

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Years of study, and some quality time with my platoon Sargent.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Lyzgrace. First of all hi and welcome.

You have now entered the "Twilight Zone" of the gun world. Opinions abound, camps have been fortified and magazines filled.

It does appear you have done a bit of reading and research and that is a good thing it can however as you have found become overwhelming very quickly.

AR's are all basically the same. AK's are all basically the same. There are some variations between models and in the case of AR's there are DI guns and piston guns but do not worry about this. A standard AR platform will do everything you want it to as will a standard AK platform. AR's standard caliber is 5.56/.223 which is virtually the same round for all practical purposes and the AK comes in 7.62 or 5.45.

You did state you enjoyed the M1 carbine. Not a thing wrong with it. Light, handy, hi cap mags available, folding stocks available, shoots a decent round. Ammo can get pricey at times but a blast to shoot. There are very high quality new rifles being made by Auto Ordnance, that would serve your purpose well.

The main thing is find something you like to shoot and get it. Don't worry about what the forum says or the latest article states. If you like it and can shoot it well that is all that matters.
    Hoganbeg and lyz_grace like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks tacman!! The Auto-Ordnance M1 replicas are beautiful! Think my best bet is to keep reading and see what I can absorb. Anything I end up buying will definitely be posted :)

Administrator
    Absolutely if you do not have one yet I would buy a RUGER 10/22. - .22 Long Rifle Semi-Automatic.
    They are available in many factory variations/configurations and can also be perfectly tailored to your wants and needs VIA a Million aftermarket custom accessories.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

PB2
    I agree with QKShooter that a Ruger 10/22 is an excellent small rifle. They are very accurate, sturdy as a rock, and has lots of after market accessories to customize it any way you like.

Another suggestion I would have is if you really like the M1 Carbine your friend has then take a look at a Ruger Mini 14. They are roughly the same size with very similar action. But the Mini 14 shoots a .223 round which is the same as an AR-15.

The 10/22's are reasonably priced,accurate,Mags come in 10-25-50 rounds and ammo is fairly cheap,if you shoot a zombie thru the eye socket he is mush.Then you can do some research on centerfire Rifles such as the AR/AK variants,a good red dot sight on an AR can make shooting fast and fun and expensive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    OP (can I call you Grace?) what is your primary intended role for this rifle and what is your budget? This will give us a good starting point and help us point you in the right direction.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OP (can I call you Grace?) what is your primary intended role for this rifle and what is your budget? This will give us a good starting point and help us point you in the right direction.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The smaller the caliber + less stank behind the bullet = need for supreme accuracy on the part of the operator.

.22lr = sniper skills
    5.56/.223/5.45 = above average shooting skills
    7.62/.308 = fair shooting skills
    12ga = point and shoot.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links