9mm carbine ("wannabe" rifle ballistics)

This is a discussion on 9mm carbine ("wannabe" rifle ballistics) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The more I look into the 9mm carbine, especially the KelTec Sub2000, the more interested I am. I like the idea of a low cost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 9mm carbine ("wannabe" rifle ballistics)

9mm carbine ("wannabe" rifle ballistics)

The more I look into the 9mm carbine, especially the KelTec Sub2000, the more interested I am. I like the idea of a low cost rifle with a high potential for inexpensive fun. If it was just about the low cost enjoymemt, I wouldnt need to look any further than the .22lr but the potential of the 9mm carbine for self defense is more appealing to me than the .22.

Now, by no means would the 9mm be my "go to" "fighting rifle" (except maybe during a zombie apocalypse) but I think it good to keep some some optimum SD ammo for every gun you own.

I find it appealing that out of the 16 in. barrel there are some 9mm loads that approach the .357 magnum in ballistics. So what Im curious about is if you folks think there are any exotic loadings (super light and fast) that you could fire out of a 9mm carbine at velocities over 2000fps. And if there were, would you recommend it?

This question stinks of "noob", I know...

Look forward hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Corbon PowRBall ammo is a 100gr+P. Corbon also has a 90gr +P JHP round....... and Corbon DPX is a 95gr +P load, which is advertised at 1300FPS from a pistol (don't know the barrel length). I'd go with the DPX if anything because the Bares bullets are proven, even being as light as they are.

However, a pistol carbine still shoots pistol rounds. It's not a "rifle", even with the few hundred FPS you gain. I'd stick with tried a true selections, like HST, Gold Dots, or the heavier offering of DPX in 115gr. +P.

The only major benefits of a pistol carbine that I can see is it will take the same ammo and in some cases, the same mags as your handgun, making carrying spare ammo and magazines very simple. However, it seems as if this firearm is mostly a hobby gun. If you want a true defensive long gun, buy a true rifle. Even something like a very affordable SKS shooting an intermediate rifle round is going to trump any pistol carbine as far as stopping power goes.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The camp guns are very popular I have a Hi point S&W40 as trunk gun right now.I have it set up with a laser site and it has a lifetime warranty so how can I not like it'campguns .
    Price out the Ruger camp guns,The Marlin camp guns they run between 5-7 dollars new last time I checked.Finding a used one is almost impossible and when you do
    the owners want an arm and both legs for it.Last time I tried to buy an SKS they ran $350plus at three gun stores I do business with.If I didn't have much cash I stick
    with a versatility of a 12 gauge shotgun.

I've got a Hi Point 9mm carbine that won't win any beauty contests but is a great shooter. For a fun plinker or training rifle you won't go wrong. Plus they are inexpensive with a lifetime warranty.
    Buckj likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

For real-world, believable velocity data from carbine-length barrels, check out Ballistics By the Inch, here: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

My personal choice would be the discontinued Ruger PC series - PC9 and PC40 - with a ghost ring sight or a red dot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For a fun gun a 9mm carbine with a silencer is a hoot.

Michael
    goldshellback likes this.

Administrator
    I'm a fan of the PCC, but one has to understand its limitations. But, also with limitations comes advantages. Embrace both and a PCC can be a very handy tool.
    TSKnight and GunTrooper like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got a 9mm Sub2000. It is a KelTec, so you understand the general fit and finish, but it works great for what you pay. 9mm out to 100 yards is pretty good on the 4" target, but I can induce a FTE once in a while with hyper-fire. Other than that, it fits the bill for a portable (conceal?) rifle. The stock is a tad short (for folding capabilities), plastic triggers suck, and the plastic sights are suspect (although they've worked great so far). Removing the bolt is a PIA. But, it fits in the water bladder pocket of my little Camelback with a 33rd mag BU. This will be my man-purse this summer.

atctimmy and jwhite75 like this.

My preference for the 9mm pistol caliber carbine is the AR series, after that the Beretta Storm. Should my stamps ever come back from the NFA branch I'll be able to complete my 9mm AR. It has a 5" barrel, and even with the suppressor, it won't be any longer than a regular AR carbine, but it sure will be quieter. Right now it is living life as a pistol until the stamps for the SBR and suppressor are approved.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I'm with Sixto.

For more reasons read this old thread recommendations for a 9mm rifle.

Welcome to the forum Bricks!
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I don't know of any "Magic Bullet" for the pistol caliber carbine (I own a Sub 2000, HP 995 and Marlin Camp Carbine myself) but without question the performance of hot 9mm loads is even hotter from a 16" barrel. Still these are not even remotely up to performance standards for even intermediate caliber rifle rounds. But that being said out to ranges of 100 yards or even 150 with some hold over you can easily hit a man sized target consistently if you do you part. They have limitations but as long as you know that going in they can have a potentially viable and cost effective place in your defensive arsenal.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I've got a 9mm Sub2000. It is a KelTec, so you understand the general fit and finish, but it works great for what you pay. 9mm out to 100 yards is pretty good on the 4" target, but I can induce a FTE once in a while with hyper-fire. Other than that, it fits the bill for a portable (conceal?) rifle. The stock is a tad short (for folding capabilities), plastic triggers suck, and the plastic sights are suspect (although they've worked great so far). Removing the bolt is a PIA. But, it fits in the water bladder pocket of my little Camelback with a 33rd mag BU. This will be my man-purse this summer.

This picture is exactly why I like the idea of a 9mm carbine. Small light and handy. With the right cartridge and like Sixto said knowing its limitations its a great tool to have. It wont replace my AR but is a great stop gap in certain situations.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I had a class III MP5 until very recently and always kept it loaded with HST or Ranger T Series as I do my handguns. It was a great subgun, very reliable and I could dump a mag (though I usually didn't shoot that way) into a fist size group at 15 yards.

Remember, just as it's possible for the velocity to be too low for it to perform as it's designed, it's also possible for it to be too high of a velocity and it'll fold back on itself and be much less effective.

Run a quality, heavy, non +P load and you'll be more than good to go. Unlike a rifle caliber, a handgun bullet will not necessarily perform better at higher velocities. There's a sweet spot.

I was going to post a pic, but you can see it in my avatar. The full pic has 4 or 5 cases in the air, in view.
    swelly61 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I think the 9mm carbines are fun guns,,,,, I have checked them all out.
    Shot a couple ,,,, but as on yet ,,,, do not own one,,,,, I did have
    a Universal 30 cal carbine ,,,, that was stolen and I loved to shoot it.
    If I was to buy one now it would be Sub2000 and maybe not a 9mm
    but a 40,,,, heck I will probably buy both ,,,, at some time. The reason
    for the Kel-tec is the use of the Glock mags.

I would not hesitate for a minute to use a 9mm carbine with premium defensive ammo in a home defense situation. I wouldn't feel outgunned with an AR, SKS, etc either. A 9mm carbine has the advantage of incredibly light recoil, lower muzzle flash, less noise. This could certainly be a good thing, especially if we are comparing your average 7.62x39 milspec FMJ. Might be more conducive to a through and through punctate wound. Your mileage may vary and every single projectile is subject to the physics and specifics of the situation. People have been killed DRT with a single shot with a .22 and people have ran 100 yds after being hit with a 12G slug.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links