I know you're gonna laugh, but...

This is a discussion on I know you're gonna laugh, but... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I've decided that I want a Hi-Point Carbine. I know you're all thinking I'm crazy, and I do a little bit too. Maybe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I know you're gonna laugh, but...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

I think I've decided that I want a Hi-Point Carbine.

I know you're all thinking I'm crazy, and I do a little bit too. Maybe it's all the pain meds I've been taking messing with my mind? Or maybe it's the fact that I've been more or less stuck in the house since April 5th?

Either way, the discussion about the member with the Taurus 92 being of questionable quality, and linking someone to the Hi-Point site for their warranty in writing (Lifetime, no questions asked, for anybody with a Hi-Point). As long as 'you' have a Hi-Point, and tell them that it's yours, and have it shipped back to your address- they fix it. Can't beat it. Especially since it won't be my EDC- it's a carbine.

Their prices are great, I've heard some pretty good things about their carbines- and a couple good about their pistols. AND, they're +P rated. Which is one of the big determining factors since I sold my +P rated Taurus shortly before my grandfather gave me 100rnds of .45ACP +P.

I also think it would be fun to have a carbine- a long gun that shares ammo with my primary weapon. (Can't get one for my 'BUG' because I can't afford a .357mag lever-gun... but I want one SOOOO badly) Also, the only 'real' long guns I have are my Savage .22lr, and my Remington 887 with a 28" barrel. And, I think with the right ammo, optics, and various other goodies, it could be a pretty BA little carbine.

I am a little curious about some of you guys' experiences with the Hi-Point carbines, or with their CS. But, can we PLEASE not have people here with nothing more to say than 'Hi-Points are crap, and everybody knows it because it's true because everyone knows it'. Personal experience, friends'/family's experiences, are greatly appreciated.

And, if anyone here has one in .45ACP that they don't like anymore, let me know, I might make you an offer... The more you hate it, the more reasonable my offer will be.

Thanks, for your time, and stories- I really appreciate your feedback.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

sorry I couldn't get past the first line in this post
    claude clay and gottabkiddin like this.

VIP Member
    If I hadn't been so stupid as to have bought one of their worthless handguns, I'd probably be more open-minded.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about their carbines. I'd say the biggest drawback is their magazines, which is why I went with the Keltec SUB2000, which'll run off my Glock 33-rounders. I view it as just a toy, though.

I'm betting you'll be much happier by waiting and saving for the .357 lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    sorry I couldn't get past the first line in this post
    Disregard posts like this that are high on opinion but low on information.

I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine and love it. It is not a gun I would plan to use in a shtf scenario but it is a lot of fun. It is very inexpensive but performs very well in comparison to some more expensive pistol caliber carbines. Mine is very accurate and has only had a few hiccups that were probably more related to the cheap steel cased Russian ammo I was using. I haven't had any problems with the magazines, either the factory ones or the two Pro Mag 15 round mags I bought. I don't have experience with their pistols but my carbine has been great. I bought it to be a plinker and to have something to train new shooters on. With such light recoil it is an easy platform for new shooters to start with. And, if they drop it or do something else stupid to damage the rifle, well, it's just a Hi Point, and won't win any beauty contests. Plus Hi Point offers the no questions asked lifetime warranty.

I prefer the 9mm because it is so much cheaper to shoot than 40 S&W or 45ACP. Another plus is that I can shoot whatever cheap ammo out of this think including steel cased cartridges because let's be honest, the rifle and the warranty can take the abuse.

Go for it and you won't be dissappointed. The extra money you save on the Hi Point can be better spent on more ammo to train and have fun with.

Don't listen to the Hi Point haters who have never shot one let alone owned one.
    DontTreadOnI and sid1 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    I've got a friend who owns a 995 and although it would not be something upon which you would want to bet your life, it's actually a fun shooter and has been trouble-free as far as I know.

I like my .40 carbine. Its the newer one with the skeleton stock. Bought it unfired private for $230. Like mentioned before the biggest drawback is the capacity. But 100% reliable and fun

Reliable fun little carbine. As already posted the mags can be an issue but are easily fixed by tweaking the feed lips if necessary (mine was GTG). The finish is alright (1st gen) but it's a gun you won't care to much about scratches or surface rust if the finish wears down.

ATI Stock & Recoil Pad, Duracoat, Custom Full Top Rail, Bottom Rail, Charge Handle, Stainless Trigger, Muzzle Brake, Magpul Flip Sights, Red Dot Scope

995 facelift

Little jig I made to mirror out the custom stainless trigger.

Muzzle Brake needed a little honing out to fit the barrel.

You can see how the custom top rail is machined to fit over the hump on the receiver

mano3 likes this.

A fella at my range has one and loves it. He uses it rapid fire and I do not ever recall noticing him having feed issues. He always leaves with a big smile on his face. He leaves me a nice large pile of good 9mm brass to collect when he is done so we both win.
    I can't say that all of their carbines are as problem free as his seems to be. Could just be luck of the draw.

Michael

No opinion on the gun itself, but rather on the concept.

If you want it just for fun, then stick with a .22. Much cheaper to run, and just as fun. And a .22 long gun can be pressed into service for self defense if need be, especially with a higher-cap mag.

For defensive use, then I could really only see the idea if the carbine used the same magazines as your pistol. Otherwise, IMHO you'd be better served with a true rifle in a true rifle caliber.

My "package" Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30 cost less than $500 brand new, including a decent scope and a sling. Used lever guns can be had for much less.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

OP I see your from Rock Hill, SC

The Sportsman indoor range on 274 in Newport allows Carbines that use centerfire pistol ammunition... no other type rifles allowed.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    No opinion on the gun itself, but rather on the concept.

If you want it just for fun, then stick with a .22. Much cheaper to run, and just as fun. And a .22 long gun can be pressed into service for self defense if need be, especially with a higher-cap mag.

For defensive use, then I could really only see the idea if the carbine used the same magazines as your pistol. Otherwise, IMHO you'd be better served with a true rifle in a true rifle caliber.

My "package" Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30 cost less than $500 brand new, including a decent scope and a sling. Used lever guns can be had for much less.
    I have a .22lr- my Savage 64. I have three, ten round magazines. And, if I'm hard pressed, I have an heirloom Winchester single shot bolt action 22lr.

The point of the carbine would be to make my .45 ammo more efficient, range fun, and really just to have a 'long gun' in the house that will definitely do some damage. The 15 round mags that can be had are supposedly great. But, I've seen how to adapt a 1911 mag to work in a Hi-Point. So, theoretically, they could use the same mags. .45 is a little less expensive than .357mag- the carbine would get shot more, for less. And, it's a lot faster to re-load the carbine than the lever gun- especially if you have a 'mag monkey' to reload for you.

While I would absolutely LOVE a .357mag lever gun, the least expensive I've found is over $600. I can get a 'fully' loaded Hi-Point .45 carbine for less than $500.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've got a 995 9mm with the ATI aftermarket stock and a red dot sight,its a fun gun to shoot and similar to a beretta storm look.I'm in the process of selling it and a couple other 9mm pistols collecting dust in my safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've never shot one, but have heard many good things about Hi-point. I think Hi-point is one of those names you hear and instantly don't like even if you never owned one. Kinda like a food that you never tried before but you think you wont like it...but you never tried it. They have a design that only a mother could love, though. Ugly son-of-a-guns.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I've also got a 9mm Hi-Point carbine with a red dot scope. After I get all frustrated with my handguns at 15 yards I go back to 50 with the carbine and punch the entire center out of a few targets. Then I feel better about myself!
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    ...I go back to 50 with the carbine and punch the entire center out of a few targets. Then I feel better about myself!
    They will do just that lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links