Ak 47 questions

Ak 47 questions

This is a discussion on Ak 47 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two questions for those of you with experience : 1) what is the best training DVD for this platform? I have been looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ak 47 questions

Ak 47 questions

I have two questions for those of you with experience :
    1) what is the best training DVD for this platform? I have been looking at Travis Halsey's new one and beyond the firearm?
    2) slings? Is it just me or is the factory sling WAY too small? Or do I have the idea wrong? A lot of videos I see the instructors don't have the rifle slung while shooting. I assume that it is just like the ar platform with a 2 point harness? If so my vtac is 3 times as long. Please help!!??

Sent from my DROID RAZR

RKM
    1: No clue
    2: If you're referring to the Russian military style sling. it was originally designed, as far as I know, to just be used to sling over your shoulder. Nothing more really. I use one, but I have it mounted in such a way that I made it work. I like it for more of a traditional look, but as my AK has evolved, I think I may change it... A Blue Force Vickers Sling or VTAC sling would be very beneficial. I use a VTAC on my AR. It's great. Of course after market sling mounts may be required. The AK platform is becoming almost as versatile as the AR's.

Thanks rkm! Man that's a sweet AK by the way. Yea the more I watch clips or Suarez and sonny shooting they only use them to transition into pistol and it's over the shoulder. Guess I assumed it would serve like a 2 point vtac and it doesn't. :o

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I would recommend actually attending a training class over self taught by watching DVDs or YouTube.

Avoid high round count classes. Anything over 700 rounds in 1 day and you are wasting ammo and reinforcing bad habits and getting training scars. You need to account for every round that leaves the muzzle to truly benefit from a class.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Sticks I think he is getting ready to go to a class if I remember right.

Mattman. I have not seen Haley's video yet but no doubt it would be as good as others he has produced.
    To me the kings on AK's are Suarez and Yeager between the two they probably shoot more rounds than any other. There AK videos are top notch.

As far as the sling goes.

The first question is what type AK? Fixed Stock, underfolder, sidefolder. The sling application can be slightly different for each.

Like everything else with the AK simple is the best bet. I use the Israeli sling for all mine.

It attaches to the stock at the receiver either by the sling loop, if that is where it is located or simply by looping it around the stock. The front attachment is a very robust wire loop that attaches at the sling loop there. Underfolder rifles have a sling loop mounted on the left side of the receiver as do some other variants of AK's. It is not an issue to use the same type sling set up with those.

Here I use a simple three point sling system and depending on what I am doing I sometimes just use it at a regular two point sling. The difference is I use the same type rear attachment as the Israeli sling in that it is looped around the stock instead of using the sling mounts. I also can use the same looped attachment to mount my single point sling when I am wearing my full kit it just makes it easier sometimes to use this method. Again all depends on what I am doing at the time.

For general purpose I recomend the two point many times I simply carry my rifle in my hands and use the sling when I have to but again that is me. Suarez and Yeager both have videos that cover sling selection and uses.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Haleys kalish video is great. If you can get it, do so....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm not a real fan of training schools. I'm sure most folks who do seek and employ paid training get their money's worth and a lot more. Other than what the military taught me, I'm pretty much on my own and train at the range of my own accord. You can pick up many tricks or tips on forums similar to this one and online or via DVD. I figure most shorter barreled semi-autos are about the same for training purposes. Then you have full auto weapons, tactical/sniper rifles bolt action or semi auto, shotguns, and then pistols as far as training or schooling. Watch a few here and maybe you can get speak a bit of Russian at the end. Ak Training
    As for a decent AK sling? Not sure. I have a factory East German (blue) sling on mine. I also have an OD green Chinese sling. I seldom use the slings for shooting support, and yes...they are made for folks of smaller or foreign stature. Slings were basically designed for carrying the rifle in the field over the shoulder usually muzzle up.
    I personally have not sought any tactical accessories for my AK47 such as scopes, red dot sights, or slings simply because there is no need with this rifle. I have also not pursued the optional furniture since this one is not only one of my favorites, it just also happens to be a nice investment especially in all original condition.
    Since we have pics in this thread, I will gladly include mine. Milled receiver Arsenal SLR-95

Sticks,
    Tacman is correct I am about to take a combat pistol course next time in town then a carbine and AK class after that. This is simply to further my knowledge of the gun and tactics. I know there are 9 ways to skin a cat and all of them work so the more you know the better you become! Tacman I am using a arsenal slr107f. I will attach a pic. Ramrod....NICE arsenal man! I also am planning on leaving mine mostly stock. I did just purchase a battle grip by us palm but the factory one felt like a pencil in my hands. Thank you guys for all the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Sorry Tacman for clarification its a side folder....first one I have ever used that locks up super tight to. I am slowly becoming more and more addicted to the AK and want more....even the wasr10! I watched a bunch of Suarez stuff yesterday he is awesome....as is the sonny guy off of beyond the firearm (gospelofviolence.com)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    The AK 100 folder you have is what I use on my custom builds. It is simply the best folder for an AK.

The other rifle pictured is a custom build but with a Bulgarian Triangle Side Folder. The mounting hardware is the same as for the AK 100 so I can swap the stocks out if I wanted to. I simply would use the Israeli Sling and you can either use the sling swivel or loop it around the stock either on would work.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The AK 100 folder you have is what I use on my custom builds. It is simply the best folder for an AK.

The other rifle pictured is a custom build but with a Bulgarian Triangle Side Folder. The mounting hardware is the same as for the AK 100 so I can swap the stocks out if I wanted to. I simply would use the Israeli Sling and you can either use the sling swivel or loop it around the stock either on would work.
    Do you prefer the hollow stock vs the regular folder?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

The best DVD training video for AKs I have found is Beyond the Firearm Part 2 by Sonny Puzikas.

Here is the website: The Gospel of Violence Webstore

YouTube video preview.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I use an Echo Nine Three V5 with a single-point sling on my WASR underfolder. Works well for me. I shoot IDPA matches and most carbine shooters I have seen use single point slings for shooting a match which is intended to be practical defensive shooting.

So this is just a sling attachment? And then you use whatever sling you want?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

VIP Member
    Yes it is simply a sling attachment point for a single point sling.

In regards to stocks it doesn't really make any difference to me it is the lockup that counts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links