Thoughts on .22lr conversions in a 5.56 AR-15

This is a discussion on Thoughts on .22lr conversions in a 5.56 AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've recently been doing some research into which rifle I'd like to be my next acquisition. I really like the idea of building an AR-15 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By tacman605

Thread: Thoughts on .22lr conversions in a 5.56 AR-15

I've recently been doing some research into which rifle I'd like to be my next acquisition. I really like the idea of building an AR-15 from the ground up (or as much of a "ground" as I can get), and was originally looking at starting with a .22 and eventually, once I had the funds, getting something bigger to put on the lower receiver.

A friend showed me the conversion kits, though, and now am thinking it would be cheaper, faster, and easier to just build a full .223 or 5.56 and get the .22 conversion to go with it for cheaper range practice. Just looking for some opinions, suggestions, or devil's advocates

VIP Member
    I think there are threads on this. But I would rather shoot my 10/22 than an ar with the conversion. We sold our conversion kits. We did not like them. The used kits sold like hotcakes on a sat morning.

VIP Member
    lyz.

Conversion kits can be a good thing although some get kinda picky. The other issue you run into is that the barrel twist of an AR, how fast the rifling spins the bullet, does not always lend itself to the greatest of accuracy or accuracy potential that can be achieved with a dedicated upper or complete rifle. The twist rate and most AR's is 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 where a .22 barrel the twist rate is something like 1:16 all this simply means is that the bullet would make one complete revolution in 7", 8", 9" or 16".

There are several makers of conversion kits the thing to look at is what magazine they use. When buying try and make sure they do not take a magazine that is specific to that conversion kit they can be hard to find and expensive. I prefer CMMG kits and they use the common and inexpensive Black Dog Magazines as do other kits. They also make the best .22 upper or complete rifle in my opinion as I have stated before their rifle uses an actual AR lower so when you buy their .22 you can simply put on the full size upper of your choice and have two in one.

Now I am not saying a conversion kit will not shoot well with whatever upper you choose I am simply saying it may not live up to it's full accuracy potential. I posted a link to a Yeager video about .22's for practice and defense in the rifle section if you have not already watched it.

Also I apologize in advance if you already understood the barrel twist rates I did not know if you knew about that or not.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have the CMMG conversion kit for my M&P15 Sport. Each member of my family enjoys shooting it with both bolts. My 14YO daughter is a caliber snob and prefers 5.56 to .223 and .22LR! I'm happy with the setup but would be interested in whether a dedicated .22 upper from CMMG would fit the S&W lower. If it's a direct fit, it would almost be worth it to spend the extra $100 or so and go that route.

Senior Moderator
    Because of the issue with the rate of twist that Tacman605 talks about, I decided to go a different route and just buy an Ar-22. I got the Colt AR .22 and it runs just fine. Its very accurate and its pretty quiet when it has a suppressor on it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was very near to purchasing a .22 conversion package for my AR to, but after considerable reasearch I could see I would not be satisfied with it's accuracy problems, and decided I would be much better served by a good .22 rifle, or a full upper to swap out. I did feel the .22 upper were so expensive that I can buy a much better shooting rifle for much less, so I have pretty much ditched Whole AR .22 ideal. They do shoot however, and if you are not too concered about accuracy it might make you happy, it just does not meet my standards.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of the sacrifice in accuracy with the .22 and I do think that would irritate me. And tacman, I did NOT understand anything about barrel twist rates, so thanks. I'll have to look into that some more :)

Distinguished Member
    I considered a 22LR conversion, but for a few bucks more I grabbed a S&W M&P 15-22 and have the best of both worlds. The 15-22 has the same manual of arms as any standard AR with fully functioning controls. The only difference is the 15-22 lacks a forward assist, but then I don't even know anyone who has needed one :)

VIP Member
    JoeK.

The .22 upper will fit your S&W. I was just on the phone to CMMG about something else and happened to ask several questions about .22 uppers and M4 lowers and they assured me they are interchangable.
    JoeK likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

OP, if good conversion uppers were less expensive, I could see wanting to do that. But since you're getting close to the price of a dedicated 15-22 rifle, why not just get that instead? As previously mentioned, take a look at the M&P 15-22 - a very well-reviewed AR pattern .22lr rifle.

I purchased the conversion kit and installed it in my BCM upper. Worked almost flawlessly, and by that I mean, after I had some FTF/FTEs, I just put it away, and when I went to clean the gun, and the kit, realized the kit was dirty as all get out (.22lr is dirty ammo). Once I got it cleaned up, and lubed (keep the kit wet, that helps out a LOT), it was back to firing nice. I haven't had any keyholing problems (people mentioned that in other forums), and it shoots pretty accurate. If you do get it, get some CCI sub-sonic ammo, and shoot it. My friends and I were amazed, it sounded fully suppressed, you heard the bolt moving, and the tick of the bullet hitting the targets 100 yards away.

Hey BaldSasq,

What kind of accuracy are you getting @25 and 50 yds with the conversion?

I have a CMMG conversion for my S&W M&P 15 Sport. It works fine, is reasonably accurate for typical .22lr applications and ranges (tin cans and the like <100 yds) but, for me, is not nearly as much fun as my .22lr lever gun from Henry. The conversion will probably continue to gather dust and I can see no reason for me to own a dedicated .22lr upper in the AR platform. YMMV
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

We were shooting at 75 & 100 yards. On pie sized paper for 100's of rounds mostly.

Sponsored Links