New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR

This is a discussion on New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by explore I would recommend purchasing from ANY other manufacturer. I told SOTA Arms in April 2012 that I wanted to buy an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR

Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    I would recommend purchasing from ANY other manufacturer. I told SOTA Arms in April 2012 that I wanted to buy an AR flattop. Was told it would take 3 weeks. It is now mid July and still no weapon. It is understandable that it might take awhile. The problem is that I have tried calling them every week since April and they never answer their phone and they do not return messages. If you have poor customer service when you are tyring to give a business $$ then you will really regret it when you have a problem down the road with the product. Overall poor experience. I will now need to start over and find another supplier with three months af prime shooting time gone forever!
    I'm sorry you had poor service out of them. I had excellent CS with them. I had to send first upper back and they sent me a new upper before receiving the old back. they also paid for the shipping and waited over a month to get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Not meaning this to be insulting in any way, but why does everyone use Wolf ammo? Isn't it bad for the gun over time? I was always told to never use steel cased ammo but I only own handguns so far so it could be different. Is it because of the price? Or is it just to test out the rifle?

Nice rifle, enjoy it :)
    For me it is mainly the price stand point. I don't really know if it is actually bad for the gun, and you will get varying answers on the subject just like which AR to by and why it has to be this and that.
    Burns likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Not meaning this to be insulting in any way, but why does everyone use Wolf ammo? Isn't it bad for the gun over time? I was always told to never use steel cased ammo but I only own handguns so far so it could be different. Is it because of the price? Or is it just to test out the rifle?

No steel ammo is not bad to use. It is a little bit dirtier. I believe this is a false belief due to the old corrosive primers from back when. I have used a lot of steel ammo in my ar and pistols and of course my ak and have had zero issues. Plus a lot of info you will get on this issue is from people who have never experienced any of the "problems" they claim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Burns likes this.

VIP Member

I've run Wolf just for cheap shooting. I have no reason to believe it's harming the rifle. It is not very accurate, and the burnt powder smells like cat pee - but once you get past the smell, it makes for a cheaper range day.
    Rigrat and atctimmy like this.

Red face SOTA Arms

This company is a small operation perhaps run by one person or a few people. The phone contact is Mobil phone (seem not to ans), email correspondence does not seem to be working. The product looks quality and the price irresistable. One of the members post that if you run into problem in the future, what will happen and would you give money to the company that does not provide customer service well? Customer service is heart and soul of any business, so we can decide whether we want a cheap price goods sacrifice the customer service part or go to other vendors and pay a little bit higher price with good customer service. If SOTA Arms Uppers are quality and have no problems then they might stay in business because anything over $300 shipping is free. The lowest price on its AR right now is $379.00 so this is very hard to beat. It has 30 days warranty or 6 mos without signs of abuse.

VIP Member

Because with the money I save hooting cheap ammo I can replace the gun if it ever wears out. I save hundreds of dollars a years shooting silver bear and wolf. That means I can shoot, shoot ,shoot and not go broke.

Still undecided about SOTA Arms

Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    I would recommend purchasing from ANY other manufacturer. I told SOTA Arms in April 2012 that I wanted to buy an AR flattop. Was told it would take 3 weeks. It is now mid July and still no weapon. It is understandable that it might take awhile. The problem is that I have tried calling them every week since April and they never answer their phone and they do not return messages. If you have poor customer service when you are tyring to give a business $$ then you will really regret it when you have a problem down the road with the product. Overall poor experience. I will now need to start over and find another supplier with three months af prime shooting time gone forever!
    I purchased an upper from them and received it within the promised 3 weeks. Overall, I'm very pleased with the workmanship. However, the picatinny rail on the gas block is out of spec. Nothing will tighten up on it because the rail was milled too narrow. I've called, emailed, everything. No response. Fortunately, the cost of a gas block isn't huge, but poor customer service is ruining what would have been a lot of advertisement from my satisfaction.

UPDATE: The next morning after posting this I received a call from SOTA Arms. She was very pleasant and helpful. She even checked with someone and they measured a few gas blocks and didn't find any out of spec., but she did not doubt my claim. She advised they would mail out a new gas block today, and asked that I return the defective one so that they might inspect it to see what might have gone wrong. I was very pleased with the conversation, even if I was a bit concerned about the delay in time for them to respond. I'll update on the status of the new gas block when it arrives. If all goes as expected, I'll be happy to give SOTA Arms a thumbs up.
    Last edited by scombs62; July 10th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Second update: I received my replacement gas block, and it is perfect. So, realizing that any company can have a bad part, and acknowledging that a small, swamped company could need a couple of weeks to respond, especially over the 4th of July holiday, I am pleased to give SOTA Arms a thumbs up! I'm very pleased with my upper and with their workmanship, and especially with their quick turnaround on my initial order and their follow-up customer service!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links