New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR

This is a discussion on New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well finally got my SOTA replacement upper installed on my New Frontier Armory lower. I bought some Thermaold 20 rnd mags, some UTG sights ( ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Frontier Armory/ SOTA arms AR

Well finally got my SOTA replacement upper installed on my New Frontier Armory lower. I bought some Thermaold 20 rnd mags, some UTG sights ( I went cheap, hate I did), a 4" rail and a foregrip. I have the rear sight run all the way over to the right to hit center paper @ 25 yards. I'll put a scope or red dot on it and shoot 25 and 50 to see if it is shooting to the left or if it is the crazy sight.
    I also bought 500 rounds of Wolf ammo and after a few FTF, actually failure to strip a new round into the chamber, she has been going strong not missing a beat. Haven't had anymore problems with the ammo.
    Hopefully the sighting problem will be the rear sight and not the upper. It grouped about 2-3"/5round groups at 25 yards offhand so I think it did pretty well.

Now to try a scope and test it a little better for accuracy. So far for a $490 budget rifle , its not to bad.

Don't know what to say.

Good luck?

If I may ask, what role does this rifle have in your grand scheme of things? Range plinker, hunting, or your go to gun?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Take a hammer and smash those Thermold mags. They stink!

Get a couple P-mags or milsurp type mags and that will probably cure all of your feed problems.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Moderator
    Thats the polymer lower right? How are you liking it?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sticks,

Reply however you wish.
    And thanks, have you any experience with either the New Frontier lower or the SOTA upper?
    I guess you would say its role is a plinker and if needed it will be my go to gun also.

Atctimmy,

After the first mag full of ammo I know longer have a feeding problem. I will eventually get more and different mags, but at the time for $4.00a peice had to try them. They have been 100% since that first mag full. Just haven't drank the Pmag koolaid yet. I have read allot of praise on them though.

Hotguns,

Yes it is a polymer lower, and so far it is ok. Trigger isn't so hot but I can get used to it. I guess I'll have to reserve opinion until I get more rounds down range. But for $95 it was a pretty good buy I thought.

Looks good dude. I like the idea of poly lowers although I never tried one. Congrats on a budget gun though. I would build one for that much!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Oh problem with the rear sight evidently was the gas block was crooked. After correcting that the best I could eyeballing it, I have adjustment on the rear sight now.

Accuracy seems to be ok with the steel cased Wolf ammo. Will try to post a couple pics of targets before long.

Mattman thanks I was running a tight budget and the SOTA upper was getting good reviews over on msgunowners so figured I would try them out. First upper I got the barrel was crooked bent something but you could look down the top of the upper rcvr and noticeably see the barrel going left. The replacement pictured has been doing good and I have about 250 rounds give or take down her.
    I have definately got to get better irons for her though. Running a red dot and a cheap 3x9 scope for now.

If I may ask, what made you go with the New Frontier lower? They are from around my neck of the woods.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Cool deal man. You are ahead of a lot of people in the "wanting an ar" world. Don't let anyone bring you down man. Its your baby. No one else's!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta96 View Post
    If I may ask, what made you go with the New Frontier lower? They are from around my neck of the woods.
    Main thing was the $95 shipped price and then there was my $500 budget that I was trying to build under.

So far the lower isn't to bad. The trigger isn't so great but is usable, may change it out later on but will just probably live with it till I build another rifle. I am seriously thinking about getting a New Frontier pistol lower for a pistol build.

@Mattmann
    Thanks I was wanting to try the platform without breaking the bank as I like the AK platform and wasn't sure if I would like the AR's that much. So far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Main thing was the $95 shipped price and then there was my $500 budget that I was trying to build under.

So far the lower isn't to bad. The trigger isn't so great but is usable, may change it out later on but will just probably live with it till I build another rifle. I am seriously thinking about getting a New Frontier pistol lower for a pistol build.

@Mattmann
    Thanks I was wanting to try the platform without breaking the bank as I like the AK platform and wasn't sure if I would like the AR's that much. So far I like it.
    I to love the AK platform. Got my ar first then an AK and I'm almost liking the AK better!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I guess I just need more time on the AR, I like it but the AK74 was my first black rifle followed by my current SKS m-model that uses AK mags.

I would recommend purchasing from ANY other manufacturer. I told SOTA Arms in April 2012 that I wanted to buy an AR flattop. Was told it would take 3 weeks. It is now mid July and still no weapon. It is understandable that it might take awhile. The problem is that I have tried calling them every week since April and they never answer their phone and they do not return messages. If you have poor customer service when you are tyring to give a business $$ then you will really regret it when you have a problem down the road with the product. Overall poor experience. I will now need to start over and find another supplier with three months af prime shooting time gone forever!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Not meaning this to be insulting in any way, but why does everyone use Wolf ammo? Isn't it bad for the gun over time? I was always told to never use steel cased ammo but I only own handguns so far so it could be different. Is it because of the price? Or is it just to test out the rifle?

Nice rifle, enjoy it :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links