M4 carbine recommendations

This is a discussion on M4 carbine recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Although pretty comfortable with the M4/M16 family of rifles, having handled and lived with them for a year on a two-way range, I'm now looking ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By varob
  • 1 Post By Sticks

Thread: M4 carbine recommendations

Although pretty comfortable with the M4/M16 family of rifles, having handled and lived with them for a year on a two-way range, I'm now looking to purchase my first, mostly for range use, but also for home defense. For entry level, it looks like the Smith & Wesson Sporster and new Windham Weapons M4 are pretty comparable - what have you all heard about Windham, the re-incarnation of Bushmaster Arms? And which of the two would you suggest?

If I were to spend about $400-$500 more, then I'd be looking at either the Colt 6920 or Sig M400. What does the extra half-grand really buy me, and what are your recommendations?

Appreciate any input!
    Last edited by mcltc; May 14th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    "Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness"
    Annonymous

Where in Texas are you located?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Windhams, Bushmasters, and S&W M&P15s from what I've seen go between 600 and 900 dollars. You can buy a Colt 6920 for right around 1,000 dollars if you look around. Any of the major AR players will work fine for the average target shooter but if you want something to bet your life on don't go skimping to save a few bucks IMO. Many AR manufacturers cut corners to drive down the cost for the consumer. They don't perform the magnetic particle testing on all the bolts, properly stake the gas key to the carrier, stake the castle nut, and sometimes they'll use less quality steel in the barrels and that could possibly cause you to have a really bad day should you ever need your carbine in a critical situation. Granted most of the ARs out there will work fine for the average person but if you want something with a proven track record and something you can bet your life on right out the box I recommend Colt and have heard good things about Daniel Defense, BCM, and Noveske. The Colt 6920 is probably the best value for the money right now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'd stick with one of the half dozen or so top tier rifles.

Just make sure the one you chose is Mil Spec.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I love my Bushmaster. I bought optics ready and tricked it our myself.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I have the M&P 15 Sport. I have about 1200 rounds through it in mixed range and 3 gun match use. It has been 100% reliable. I don't have any personal use or knowledge of the Windham brand.

BravoCompanyUSA.com

BCM® Rifle Company

This is the company to beat right now. Quality and price. For $1300 I have an AR that runs and runs, and can drive nails.

1/7 twist barrels are awesome for a lot of the heavier 62gr greentip on the civilian market, and have allowed me to handload 77gr Sierra Matchking, making a version of the Black Hills Mk262

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    When I bought my Windham SRC, I could have bought a S&W "optics ready" AR for about $60 - $80 more.
    I decided to go with the Windham and it wasn't because of the difference in price.
    Both rifles had identical features and a lifetime warranty, but S&W sticks internal locks on their revolvers and I hate internal locks; if I bought the S&W I would have indirectly been supporting internal lock philosophy.

I've been satisfied with the Windham SRC so far.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    WOW.

That didn't take long. Usually Jon does not chime in until page 2.

OP - Do as Jon says, without question. He is the only forum person I have found that will hold your hand through the whole "First AR" thing with the patience of a Saint. Oh yeah, he DOES know what he is talking about.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    San Antonio, where there's no lack of shooters of all calibers, manufacturers, and persuations.

A helpful site that I've just discovered for pretty specific and technical advice that I'd share is m4carbine.net for anyone like me trying to figure out the differences between the multiple Stoner AR platforms out there.
    "Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness"
    Annonymous

Yep Jon is good, Dont forget about Tacman605 between Jon and him they good take a bushmaster and make it a ferrari...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks guys, I appreciate the love! Robert (tacman605) is a heck of a guy and very qualified.

The reason I asked the location is it's easier to give a hand if you're local and or I can point you to someone I know in that area. M4carbine.net is a great resource, much more tuned in than AR15.com, though AR15.com has a lot of good sticky thread. m4carbine is getting a little noisy too, but they do their best to keep it under control. My username is the same over there and on Lightfighter.

BCM or Colt are always my default.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'd go with the Colt. The SIG M400 uses a commercial bolt carrier (not as much steel and so less durable than the bolt carrier in the Colt or even the S&W) and a non-standard barrel profile. That would be fine if it was several hundred dollars less, but they look to me like they're not a good value at all.

Sponsored Links