Best "fold down" AR iron sights?

This is a discussion on Best "fold down" AR iron sights? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have my LMT CQB 16, which I love. What I don't love is that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be --course ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Best "fold down" AR iron sights?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

I have my LMT CQB 16, which I love. What I don't love is that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be --course the rest of the body is following the same general path

SO, I have decided, based upon earlier advice from the great DC forum members, to go with an ACOG, probably a TA31F. Having made that decision, I am figuring that the standard iron sights, both front and rear, that come on the Lewis will need to be replaced with some fold down sights.

So, what are the best quality fold-down iron sights, and what about tritium enhanced fold-downs??? My inquiring mind want to know--but my checkbook will probably not like the answers

Thanks everybody!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Troy's battle sights. Tritium front post only - I find tritium rear a bit too much because of how close to the eyes!
    sgb likes this.

Have a Smyth flash suppressor ??? One of the best things ever added to mine.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Knight's Armament (part of the military's SOPMOD kit along with MaTech), but they're pricey. I prefer that they don't lock up or down. Troy's are good too, but I've had problems with them loosening (not talking about the mount) over time. They're half the price of the KAC's though.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have magpul, not that impressed!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Jon--what do you think of Knight's 45 degree off-set iron sights, without having used them, they seem to be a workable, quick option
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I was just talking to a buddy about them yesterday. I've not spent much time with them, but I have the Surefire offset irons. I think the offset KAC's would be a great option when running a magnified optic. Now, I'm on the fence about them since I'd probably use them with an ACOG and I'm not too bad and using the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) at close ranges if I was forced to.

If I were to run offset irons (I'd probably opt for an offset Trijicon mini RMR though), it would be the KAC's since they fold almost completely out of the way. I also like how the mount is flush with the rail slots and not a normal mount like the Surefires. I think they're the ones to go with for offset irons.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Jon and everybody else--thanks for the feedback. Regarding the offset irons, that just seems like a fairly handy and reliable backup, and I really can't imagine using iron sights for much of anything beyond 100-150 meters for anything other than basic suppresive fire---I USED to shoot "Expert" all the time, with the M14 first (that kind of dates me doesn't it) and then the M16 and could hit the targets at 300 meters with iron sights. But the ensuing years, along with Glacoma has left its mark (big sigh).
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

No problem. I think they make a good choice, especially if your primary optic is magnified. Let us know what you end up with.

FWIW, you can run a low power optic with the normal front sight post.

M-16A4s are run with ACOGS and the standards front sight post.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks Buckeye--I appreciate the info---while not wanting to spend $$ unnecesarily, if for some reason the ACOG was rendered inoperable, and you were in a tight spot, you may not have time to remove it to utilize the rear sight--thus the advantage of the off-set irons--I kind the concept, but there probably isn't a "perfect" solution, just a number of "good" options is my guess.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Thanks Buckeye--I appreciate the info---while not wanting to spend $$ unnecesarily, if for some reason the ACOG was rendered inoperable, and you were in a tight spot, you may not have time to remove it to utilize the rear sight--thus the advantage of the off-set irons--I kind the concept, but there probably isn't a "perfect" solution, just a number of "good" options is my guess.
    If you don't have time, all you need is probably a front sight picture.

One of the main drawbacks of the ACOG IMHO is that about 2 1/2" is the ideal eye relief, which usually does not give enough space on the rail to co-witness irons, unlike with and Eotech or Aimpoint.

I do know that some ACOGs exist out there that have a built in rudimentary sight on top of the optic. For 100-150m, it should do the trick.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    I have no experience with any folding sights other than the TROY rear battle sight that came factory on my M&P15. My only problem with it is that you can only fold it completely with the large aperture in place. If you flip the smaller aperture up, you cannot fully fold the rear sight. I NEVER use the larger aperture when shooting with irons. So if I were to need to flip the rear iron up in a hurry, I'd have to also flip the the desired aperture.

As much as I want and think I need a folding front sight, I stick with the standard front sight post and a 0x optic in a lower 1/3 co-witness mount. This would also allow me to just run the folding rear sight in the up position permanently. Why not use a fixed rear sight some may ask? Because for zeroing, I use a 4x magnifier I put on and folding the rear sight down is helpful. Otherwise, I'd run a fixed rear sight.

Links