Type of Shell and Mix for your 12 Guage Pump (home defense) - What do you prefer? - Page 3

Type of Shell and Mix for your 12 Guage Pump (home defense) - What do you prefer?

This is a discussion on Type of Shell and Mix for your 12 Guage Pump (home defense) - What do you prefer? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep my saiga 12 with the 10 round mag full loaded with 00 buck I have a 5 round mag with slugs taped to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Type of Shell and Mix for your 12 Guage Pump (home defense) - What do you prefer?

I keep my saiga 12 with the 10 round mag full loaded with 00 buck I have a 5 round mag with slugs taped to it for easy changeover I don't like the shotgun for long range though if I have to shoot that far A- is it really a threat and B- that's why I have an sks with a 30 round mag
    mano3 likes this.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

2 3/4" or 3"....... either in 0 or 00 buckshot will handle your HD needs.

Don't get too deep into spliting hairs....... it's a shooty with the specific purpose of Home Defense. It's your BOOM-STICK !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

00 hornady critical defense in my Winchester defender. I've got my builder on speed dial if needed.

Concrete house, 2 3/4 slugs in tube x5 and 3" slugs on stock x5

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I used to load my Mossberg 590 with nothing but 00 Buck. But b/c of the overpenetration issues in an urban dwelling, I swtiched over to #4 Buck which is also effective but with less penetration.

I'm really not too worried about over penetration, if I was I'd be using my savage 93 chambered in .17hmr for my dcw not my mossy

As several people have mentioned, #1 Buck in the 12 ga is the best of all buckshot worlds, pellet count and size. 3" #1 buck has 24 pellets and 2-3/4" baby magnums have 20 pellets of .30 caliber goodness. In the end, if your shotgun likes a certain brand of a certain size of buckshot, well do not argue with her. Feed her what she wants.

My 870 Riot gun has a simple elastic shell holder on the stock with slugs, it is sighted in for these slugs, you never know when you might need to engage a target to 75 yds or so.

test your shot gun with various loads and see which ones pattern best for you, I like a tight pattern of buckshot as it is at its most effective when all pellets are in a dinner plate sized pattern.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Per various articles I've read, I use #1 buck for the 12 gauge and #3 buck for 20 gauge. It's my understanding that these loads (typically... we all know different loads fire differently in different shotguns) will meet the 12" penetration requirement recommended by the FBI, while giving you more pellets.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar

Very Interesting. A bit of an eye opener.
    ANGLICO likes this.

I use all LE, low recoil 00 buck, 2 3/4"
    GunTrooper likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Go with reduced recoil 00 buck for all shots except the last one. Make the last one a slug. In the heat of a fight, you may lose count of rounds fired, and the extra recoil of the slug will let you know that's your last shot. You can then start to reload or transition to another weapon...

I have 4 + 1 rounds of 00 buck in 2 3/4 shells. 5 more rounds on the stock for fast reload. That's 10 rounds or 90 .33 cal balls at 1325 fps. I just can't see for the life of me how anything else would be necessary for home defense.
    GunTrooper likes this.

Mossberg 590A1 kept "cruiser ready" with the magazine filled with Hornady 2 3/4" 00 Buck, downloaded by two. Side saddle with 4 more 00 Buck loads, two slugs, speedfeed stock with 4 #7 loads to dispatch critters, snakes n' such.
    Kept downloaded to reduce pressure on magazine spring and to allow me to slip a slug or a load of shot without having to fiddle around. Probably will switch to the Federal 123-1B loads when I can find them

Sent from this... Using that...

8+1 00 2.75" buckshot with 4 2.75" slugs in the speedloaders.

I use Remington hypersonic steel shot, size is BB. That gives you 50 or so 18 caliber pellets at around 1700fps. At typical house distances (20-25ft) I wouldnt want to be on the wrong end.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links