From humble beginnings: My 870 build - Page 2

From humble beginnings: My 870 build

This is a discussion on From humble beginnings: My 870 build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stupid question maybe.....does the drop on that stock actually allow you to sight down the barrel? I put a cheap one on a 20 gauge ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: From humble beginnings: My 870 build

Distinguished Member
    Stupid question maybe.....does the drop on that stock actually allow you to sight down the barrel? I put a cheap one on a 20 gauge youth model for my wife and the sights are now kind of pointless. It's really a hip shooter now. Thanks
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Stupid question maybe.....does the drop on that stock actually allow you to sight down the barrel? I put a cheap one on a 20 gauge youth model for my wife and the sights are now kind of pointless. It's really a hip shooter now. Thanks
    Sight angle same as OEM stock. I think that was one of the changes in Gen II.

That's with the stock at the shortest setting too, it improves with length.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Stupid question maybe.....does the drop on that stock actually allow you to sight down the barrel? I put a cheap one on a 20 gauge youth model for my wife and the sights are now kind of pointless. It's really a hip shooter now.
    Not sure what stock you have, but ATI has a stock drop spacer that might help. I know it works with Blackhawks original NRS stock.

As for the OP's shotgun, these are my thoughts...

Personally, I really like the V-TAC two point sling I have on my Mossberg. It allows you to put down your shotgun without actually "putting it down". It also makes one handed tasks much easier. Also, in the event you get in a struggle with an attacker it would be extremely difficult for them to take the shotgun away from you.

Ghost ring sights of some type; no drawbacks, but definite advantages. Not sure what kind of local you live in, but they are a major asset if you are shooting any distance.

Lastly, a white light system. I can't imagine not having one of these on a HD shotgun. Target identification is crucial. Unless you have all the lights on in your house there's going to be some dark areas. If your house is dark, you actually have the advantage because you know your house and can navigate it much easier than an intruder. Plus hitting your target with that light effectively renders them blind for a few seconds; even after the light is off.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

As previously said, a light would be my next priority.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So the project continues I suppose...

Ok, next up.. light...

I know that the surefire forend is the "cream of the crop" but there is no way I'm paying that much.

I've read in other threads here about how a regular flashlight in a clamp will get beat to hell, but I can just remove it for practice...

Thanx for all the input!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Was looking back over this thread and guess I forgot to mention the test run...

Headed out to the riverbank on the 4th of July and ran over 100 shells through it! (2 3/4 birdshot, federal WM bulk pack)

Didn't feel it at the time, but I just KNEW that my shoulder would be a mess the next day... WRONG!

The recoil reducing stock did an excellent job of allowing faster follow-up shots and no bruised shoulder.
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Awesome! I just put the Knoxx stock on my 870 this evening.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Looks good so far.

I just ordered a ati talon stock and forarm for my old 870 last night also doin a little build. So if you don't care I'll join in for the ride on your discussion here. The 870 express came from a retired police chief here locally. He traded it to me many years ago for a old goose gun of mine. Decided it was time to give it a make over. Will give update on stock when it arives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links