My 1st AR!!! - Page 2

My 1st AR!!!

This is a discussion on My 1st AR!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice. Congrats...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My 1st AR!!!

Nice. Congrats
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by DurrtyBoy View Post
    I couldn't resist it any longer so I splurged on my first defensive rifle. Whaddya think? S&W M&P15T got a pretty decent deal. The main use will be fun and home defense. I don't know much about the platform so any useful information would be appreciated. What would you add?
    Congrats, you'll love it!!! Get yourself some extra mags, plenty of range ammo, and practice with irons. For what you stated I recommend a 50yd zero, you'll be very close to "point of aim/point of impact" from 50yd out to 200yd. Once you're ready get yourself a nice red dot sight such as an Aimpoint or EOTech, I have both. Maybe get a good SureFire weapon light. Other than that everything else will be cosmetic or tailored to your comfort. if you have any questions you can message me. Have fun & be safe!!!

Thanks for the advice - i think i will take you up on it
    I resisted the urge for 30+ years. Have a couple of Mini-14's (that I love, BTW), but got a S&W M&P15 a couple years ago, and now I'm "bit", big-time! Gotta get another AR soon! Your first follow-up action should be to get a dozen or so Magpuls!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker9mm View Post
    Congrats, you'll love it!!! Get yourself some extra mags, plenty of range ammo, and practice with irons. For what you stated I recommend a 50yd zero, you'll be very close to "point of aim/point of impact" from 50yd out to 200yd. Once you're ready get yourself a nice red dot sight such as an Aimpoint or EOTech, I have both. Maybe get a good SureFire weapon light. Other than that everything else will be cosmetic or tailored to your comfort. if you have any questions you can message me. Have fun & be safe!!!
    Thanks for the advice regarding the upgraded optics down the line, that gives me something to plan for after i get acclimated to the iron sights. I think I will load up on some more ammo this weekend. Headed back to the range Friday!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I resisted the urge for 30+ years. Have a couple of Mini-14's (that I love, BTW), but got a S&W M&P15 a couple years ago, and now I'm "bit", big-time! Gotta get another AR soon! Your first follow-up action should be to get a dozen or so Magpuls!

Regards,
    Jim
    Picked up two today, probably grab a few more this weekend!

While at the range an ol timer in our club came out with a .22 cal AR rifle that he built himself. I love my Rock River .223 but dang that .22 was fun and cheap cheap cheap to shoot. The other thing is that new shooters love to shoot it too and can have a lot of success right off the bat without any recoil flinch.

I couldn't resist it any longer so I splurged on my first defensive rifle. Whaddya think? S&W M&P15T got a pretty decent deal. The main use will be fun and home defense. I don't know much about the platform so any useful information would be appreciated. What would you add?
    Ammo. Do some research on slings. Like holsters, opinions vary between single point, 2-point, 3-point...

Then seek training from a reputable instructor. Learn how to shoot your "iron" sights (because they don't have batteries that fail). Read the "stickies" on M4Carbine.net
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just got one myself not to long ago, wish I would have sooner also. I agree with every thing above except get at least one 10 round mag that way when your kid , wife , friend or just a guy at the range wants to try it you give them the 10 rounder and save the 30 rounders for you. j/k
    Seriously I'm at the looking for upgrades stage. Love my rifle but want to ad a good sling and red dot site. Enjoy it and let your research begin..

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Make sure you get a carbon scraper. And clear inside the bolt where the firing pin sits after every cleaning.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I went through about 120 rounds today. Should you clean between every range visit or should you reach a specific round count before cleanings?
    120 rounds? Keep it "dirty"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    That looks good, I like quad rails (especially the free float kind) and flip up sights.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Nice! I don't really have access to anywhere to shoot one.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    congrats

stock up on ammo
    get more pmags
    a TLR-1 will fit nicely on the quad rail (can operate with your thumb easily)
    optic--aimpoint or eotech--where you can still co-witness those iron sights in case of failure....AND PRACTICE WITH BOTH!
    and as others suggested...spare parts
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Nice purchase. You will be very pleased with the M&P rifle.

As far as cleaning goes, you don't want to over do it. Cleaning can wear a gun out faster than shooting it.

If it got wet I clean it. If not, then I clean every 500 rounds or so. Use a good lube and don't skimp. ARs like to be lubed pretty heavily.

Have fun!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    A fair amount of carbon builds up my in my bolt. Specifically where the firing pin sits. I neglected for several hundred rounds. It became a huge PITA to scrape all that carbon out.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Congrats on the new shooter. Everyday is good, but new shooter days are GREAT!.
    I just got my first AR about a month ago. Colt LE6920...I'm like you, I should have done it years ago.
    I did find a great deal on mags from Bravo Company, 30 rounders with Magpul followers for 10.99

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15...h%20bt30mf.htm
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links